1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: Kermit on Good Morning America

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

As we've been discussing, Kermit is appearing on Good Morning America today promoting his wonderful new book, Before You Leap.

After you watch the appearance post here and let us know your thoughts.
  2. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

Did no one watch it? I had class and couldn't find my blank tape to record it, but I was hoping to read about what happened.
  3. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Once again, darn my British ancestors for bringing me into this world outside of American tv broadcasting range!
  4. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Darn those tapes for not being long enough for recording the whole darn thing! I missed proubley the last whole half of the show. I did get to see him but whatever came next after whats her face said, "Someone is dreaming of a Green Christmas." and then having Kermit talk to some lady about how cute her son or grandson was. I sent the tape on SP not knowing that it would only record 2 hours of the show. When I asked my mother what time that GMA ended she said at 9 but it can't be if i didn't get the whole show. Boy I'm mad at myself. Hope someone can it get up on youtube or something.
  5. Leyla

Leyla Member

Ah, well, I caught it, and taped it yay! It was a nice appearance I thought, but then, I'm just happy to see him around.

So there were three segments with Kermit... he was at Times Square apparently, wearing an adorable little red scarf.

One of the host ladies, (I don't know her name, sorry) was sort of flirting with him a bit, wrapping him up in the scarf, scolding him about "that other blonde".. Cue an obbligatory Piggy joke about her not being able to get into town because of a ban on trans fat. They mentioned him "writing his memoirs", as, Kermit says, "all celebrities are required to do" and said that someone named Charlie Gibson would be very happy about Kermit being around. Big fan, apparently

Anyway, they all seemed very excited about Kermit being there, which was nice to see.

The next segment, Kermit's in front of a Christmas tree, singing "Have your self a Merry Little Christmas, very sweetly, though they cut him off pretty quickly, and speak over him. Then they start talking about "Before you Leap" still outside, surrounded by a crowd of people who cheer for him.
    The interview guy mentions growing up with Kermit, and is obviously excited about meeting Kermit... it's really sort of cute. "this is a personal and professional high point." They talk about how he wrote it... Kermit's skills, or lack thereof, in typng. He mentioned how hard it was to keep the paper dry. The interviewer guy says it's got chapters on dating (cue 'Ooohs' from the crowd) and dieting. He asks Kermit about how he keeps fit, Kermit mentions good clean swamp living, playing leapfrog ("that's a Fozzie Bear joke"), eating right, avoiding pigs.

Interview asks if he dished about Miss Piggy, and Kermit says he tried to but Piggy and her lawyers read the book and put a stop to that... which, is actually true, if you've read the book. Then the interview asks permission to hug Kermit ("Of course!"). Cue "aww's" from the crowd and jealousy from me, but I digress. "It is a pleasure and an honour." When he sends the camera back to the studio he does a half decent Kermit impression. I was really rather fond of that guy. Nothing closetted about his muppet fandom.

And the third segment, at the very end of the show: The show off the book again. The host says it's really good, soudning both sincere and surprised, and that digresses into a conversation about them both being wholly owned subsidiaries of Disney. They wish each other happy Christmas and she wishes that he gets what he wants, but not worms. A group of kids sing a bit of jingle bells from a military post and Kermit dances around a bit. "Tell them Kermit is grooving." "I am!" He dances around a bit more with that arm circle thing people used to do. Kermit says something about Elmo that I have trouble making out, maybe, "I can do it better than Elmo," but I'm not sure.

And there you go...nothing new, but a fun appearance nonetheless.
  6. Beauregard

New is Kermit saying he dances better than Elmo! That's so classic.
  7. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

What?! I didn't know he was supposed to be on GMA this morning! How did I miss this?! Oh well...atleast I can still catch him on Regis & Kelly tomorrow.
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The one thing I can say. I love Kermit and all. It was a fun appearance, but somone please has to tell someone, be it Steve or someone else, to stop making Piggy comments. That's the only thing I don't like about the current appearances.
  9. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

Well, shoot, I forgot what day it was and didn't realize that it was today until I saw that today, Oh well, it's alright I'll watch it tomorrow.

Daniel
  10. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I agree, the Piggy comments are not funny.
  11. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

grrr... set my darn VCR up to record it while i was at work, IT DIDNT EVEN TAPE IT!!!!!!!!! :mad: :( what the heck EVERY time i set my vcr to do that.. it doesnt. Can some one tape it for me, i'll $$$ for it and Kermit on Regis and Kelly tommarow too?! :confused:
  12. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Ugh, I forgot all about this!!

Sounds like it was a great appearance though. Thanks for the descripts Leyla! Yeah, Charlie Gibson is and always has been a huge Jim Henson & Muppet fan. They always have The Muppets or Sesame Street Muppets on throughout the year.

Was the lady who was flirting with Kermit named Diane Sawyer? She's one of the hosts/anchors on GMA who always tries to poke fun at Piggy.

Man, I wish I'd seen this! I'm gonna go set up my DVR for Regis right now!
    :)
    Anthony
  13. Fragglemuppet

Fragglemuppet Well-Known Member

"You are all weirdos!"
    :attitude:
    I can't believe hardly anyone saw this! Then again, I suppose the Live apearance tomorrow is really the bigger show.
    I don't know, I think the Piggy comments are a good laugh, and Kermit was never above such digs in my experience. I was going to ask what the comment about Elmo was, but I guess no one caught it. Who was the guy that gave Kermit a hug? That was so sweet!
    :)
  14. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Man! I've got to start waking up earlier!
  15. Leyla

Leyla Member

Yep! She was on Regis today and that was her. I might do up a transcript for that appearance tomorrow.

If anyone is looking for a copy of both of them... I also have the TVland appearance and KErmit on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, let me know. If you want to pay for shipping, I don't mind making a few copies.

Leyla
  16. heralde

I agree; I mean obviously in the old days, Kermit made comments about Piggy out of frustration and annoyance. But the comments were clearly out of love at the same time. He was just annoyed that she came on so strong. He never threw her to the wolfs in front of other people like he does now, as though Piggy's a pathetic stalker. Nowadays, you get the feeling Kermit doesn't even like her. It's all comes down to the writing.

At some point, around MFS and Muppet Tonight, they decided being "hip and modern" meant being snotty and cruel. I don't like it, so I don't watch it. And it hasn't brought in a ton of new fans either.
  17. BradFraggle

BradFraggle Member

I think that part of it is that over the years piggy has evolved from a desperate star with a crush on Kermie, to a super-star diva with an obsession with Kermit. In The Muppet Show and The Muppet Movie she came off as just a girl with a big crush on Kermit; she came on a bit strong but Kermit just never thought of her that way. However she's changed. I mean her whole sub-plot of The Muppets Take Manhattan focuses on her fixation and obsession with Kermit – she stalks him, gets enraged when he even talks to another female and than tricks him into marrying her. It's kind of creepy.

But regardless, I think most of Kermit's jabs at Piggy are not ment to be mean, they just are him making a light-hearted joke about a friend/co-star (like most performers do). He's not attacking Piggy or being mean spirited.
  18. Beauregard

While I agree in principle, I actually dissagree with you. Piggy WAS a chorus girl, yes, and Kermit was a director of a small show. Now, Kermit is a nationally recognised star who appears on TV and is adored by show-hosts, and Piggy IS a super-diva. That is exactly how she would have developed in the 'real' world at this point in her fame.

I agree. Also, it gives Piggy a presence on TV and in the national eye even though she rarley appears herself these days. If she wasn't even mentioned, people would forget about her.
  19. heralde

Of course, I don't want to see Piggy forgotten. But Kermit's character used to make light hearted jabs. The more recent jabs are mean spirited, and I don't believe that anything is better than nothing. :)

Still, I don't need to complain too much. The good old days are still available for viewing when we want to see them.