Your Thoughts: Lady Gaga and The Muppets Holiday Spectacular on ABC

dwayne1115

Reaction score
One other thing that I think should be noted. I saw somewhere on the forums recently that someone thought Disney was trying to market just kids. I don't think many kids would watch this show. This was more for a older crowd, which is something the Muppets have needed for a long time.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
One other thing that I think should be noted. I saw somewhere on the forums recently that someone thought Disney was trying to market just kids. I don't think many kids would watch this show. This was more for a older crowd, which is something the Muppets have needed for a long time.

The time the show aired was encouraging. I did notice that, because it presumed that ADULTS would be watching the show. (Or kids off from school....oh well.)

Muppet fans--through thick and thin--we hang the course!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
As for the Christmas songs... Baby It's Cold Outside was well performed, finally got to hear it in its entirety. BTW: Anyone have a MUP3 of the version of that song sung by Miss Piggy and Vince Gil from the CMA's?

When you get that one, will you send it to me?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The time the show aired was encouraging. I did notice that, because it presumed that ADULTS would be watching the show. (Or kids off from school....oh well.)

Muppet fans--through thick and thin--we hang the course!
One step at a time, Disney is taking baby steps with the Muppets, when they should have there own show by now.

lady piggy

Reaction score
Well it's time for MC's own Little Monster to talk about this .( points to username ,enough said) i simply adored this special , two things i enjoy together for a night of fun . The beginning was a dream come true ,the Muppets were all silly and cool.Made me smile . It kinda reminded me of The Muppet show ,but a lot more crazy and extravagant. Yes i wished. the Muppets were more involved ,but i like to focus on the good things .instead of dwelling on what i didn't like . I loved this special especially when Kermit and Lady Gaga were singing gypsy together.A great way to end a great Thanksgiving <3

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
My thoughts:
Part 1:
- Loved Pepe's intro. Of course, Pepe would want this to be his special.
- Gaga's first song.... well, at least it has Muppets in it! And I got a kick out of Walter's dance moves. I'm still not satisfied with the Gonzo puppet they've been using for last few years. It makes the little blue weirdo come off as stiff, and not nearly as expressive as the previous puppets.
- Insert obligated (but always fun) Statler and Waldorf joke here:
- Piggy's first scene could have been so much better. The jokes were too predictable (though I did like the "PhotoShop" line).
- Wait, wait, wait, Lips?! And a Gonzo/Rizzo scene?! Great lines from the others ("I've been using the same reed since 1962", "Wait, that's not a holiday...") top this entire sequence off.

Part 2:
- Back to the good old days of having Scooter as Kermit's right-hand-man!
- Carl! Longtime no see!
- Bunny: I didn't agree to this...
- Still not a fan of this Gonzo puppet. His mouth hardly even moves when he says "works every time".
- Pepe. Gotta love him.
- Can't remember the last time I saw a random Muppet animal do something that didn't involve standing in the background.
- "Everyone loves puppets!"
- Lady Gaga's second song - skipped (sorry, but I came to see the Muppets).
- Inert S&W joke here:
- Another classic Zoot line!

Part 3:
- Cover of "Benny Gaga and the Jets" by Sir (I keep forgetting he was knighted) Elton John and Gaga - skipped.
- Gaga/John's second song - laughed at the Muppets' hearts 'stopping'
- S&W line: heard it a dozen times. Come on writers, you can do better than that!
- More Muppet interview bits (for a second, I could have sworn Animal was saying "drugs").

Part 4:
- The preview clip we've all seen... but extended!
- Didn't they already use the puppet joke? I think once is enough.
- Walter's stealing Gonzo's material!
- "Too much jou, not enough her".
- The "I got an idea. No wait, I don't" joke a bit too much here. It almost seems like this particular version was an excuse to give Dr. Teeth a line. Now that I think about it, anyone could have had this line.
- Did we ever figure out who the Swedish Chef married?
- Good ol' Lew!
- Look's like Rowlf was making Bill's arm tired...
- Classic Bunsen and Beaker scene. Poor Beaker!
- Why do I get the feeling Gaga would actually wear that bubble dress?
- Pepe, you dirty dirty prawn, you!
- S&W elderly joke:
- Another Gaga song. The emerald background brings back bad memories about a certain Muppet TV movie...
- S&W joke: (loved the parking space line!)
- Obligated Beaker/Chef/Animal carol.
- Most inappropriate gifts - there seriously should have been more of these!

Part 5:
- Cute conversation between Gaga and Kermit. Gaga seems to be struggling for ad libs, but give the girl a break. She's obviously not an experienced actress.
- Looks like Steve didn't have enough time practicing lip syncing to Gaga's song. But his epic singing voice overshadows that. Seriously, someone give Steve a record deal!
- Even though I'm still not happy with the puppet, at least Gonzo gets more lines.

Part 6:
- Another non-Muppet song...
- Bobo. Steals the show, as always!
- Glad to see Kermit just being Kermit.

Part 7:
- Conversation between Kermit and Gaga. Somewhat reminiscent of the old talk spot skits used during the first season of TMS.
- Again, Gaga seems to be struggling for ad libs (unless there was a script, in which case it's obvious she and Steve just skimmed it). Though I did get a chuckle out of "I need to get a swamp".
- Through it all, Gaga seems legitimately thrilled (almost starstruck) to be talking to Kermit, which is nice.
- Piggy and Kermit bit - seen it a thousand times. We all knew it was coming, so let's move on.
- Another Gaga song.
- S&W bit.
- Beaker/Chef/Animal bit (hey, I just noticed Animal's Dr. Teeth drum set was brought back).
- "May your holiday be filled with warmth and happiness, and of course, chickens". (I don't know about my holiday, but my stomach might be filled with chickens - don't worry, it'll be the non-Muppet kind).
- I loved the (probably improvised) chicken fight.

Part 8:
- Despite the continuous 'flanderization' of Piggy, I did get a chuckle out of her mocking Gaga's name.
- Piggy's cover of "Santa Baby" sounds nearly identical to the "Green and Red Christmas" version.
- Good ol' Kermit!
- "Muppets Most Wanted" preview: Cute intro. A few new clips.

Part 9/Final Part:
- Another predictable scene with Piggy.
- Well, the gang's all (mostly) here! Kermit, Piggy, Walter, Gonzo, Fozzie, Pepe, Animal, Bunsen, Beaker, Scooter, Rowlf, Beauregard, Dr. Teeth, Floyd, Zoot, two chickens, J.G., that strangely familiar green frackle... and the rest (are here on Gilligan's Isle...).
- Outtakes! Nothing better than seeing the performers playing off of each other like that.
- No credits for the Muppet performers?
- Our ol' pal Jim Lewis was involved.
- "Whatever I did, I didn't do on purpose!"

Was this special a "turkey" like Statler said? Eh, it was okay. There's enough Muppety goodness for both fans and non-fans. Definitely worth at least one viewing. Could it have been better? Sure. As much as I liked the various Muppet bits, they're still mostly on 'meh' side. Almost as though not enough energy went into this. Can't really say anything about Gaga's songs, as I skipped over most of them. And okay, maybe Gaga's not an actress (the Muppets actually came off as the better actors), but at least she's a Muppet fan.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I really don't want to hear that people think Piggy was out of character in this show, because I don't believe it was true.
First off the Karate chop, Kermit clearly deserved it, and has gotten chopped for way less as far back as the Muppet Show days.
Secondly, Piggy making fun of Gaga's name. Classic!
Third, Piggy's daydream and song. She looked and sounded beautiful. Her hair, and her dress where perfect. This is the third or second time she has sung this song, and each time she sounds better.
Fourth, Kermit saying that there was nothing between him and Gaga, and kind of being sweet to Piggy at the end was really great.
So what I am trying to say, Piggy was great in this show!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Isn't it completely part of Piggy's schtick that she's not treated like the star she should be?