1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: Lady Gaga and The Muppets Holiday Spectacular on ABC

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Well, I can't complain about this particular clip. "You neeeeeeeever sing over the star!"

2. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Oh, you must mean the Santa Baby daydream. Though that was one of the parts I didn't like, it at least gave Piggy a big fantasy spotlight song like the original Muppet movies. Too bad it just wasn't as good as it could have been.
    BTW: Bo, there's a thread around here regarding the UK airing of the special, dunno who started it though.

3. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

I think the primary problem with the special is that it wasn't well-thought out. It was a lame attempt to promote a crummy album, with some Muppets thrown in. It felt awkward and forced. The clip above displays the best the special had to offer, and even that wasn't particularly funny.

4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yes, I've said that many times before, if you were to take something from the olden days that was shot on 35mm film (property restored and remastered, that is), and compare it to something today that was shot digitally, you can see the world of difference, and the 35mm still looks so much better, clearer, and sharper, whereas digital has a slight, soft surface blur to the picture, and you also have to put up with pixelization and artifacts when there's a lot of movement in the scene (like snow for example).

jvcarroll likes this.
  5. MuppetDanny

MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

6. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

7. Oscarfan - slightly off topic, but you couldn't do the same for the full Gaga/Elton duet, could you?

8. MrBloogarFoobly

9. D'Snowth

I think someone already shared that link.

jvcarroll likes this.
  10. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

That Ram's been around since Muppets Classic Theater.

jvcarroll likes this.
  11. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

Well, this special was definitely- interesting... The one thing I did not like however, would be Kermit being the choice of partner for the duet of "Gypsy". I felt that the song would have been better off with Miss Piggy instead. His vocal tone just did not catch the mood of Gaga's song, to me. **Love you though, Kermit honey!**

ElizaSchuyler likes this.
  12. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

@MuppetDanny:
    Well, there you are then Brain. Zart!

@Lemango#2:
    So that was Norman after all. That answers a question I had.
    :)

13. FletchySRF3088

FletchySRF3088 Active Member

This is exactly my feeling. Watching it last night, I thought to myself "Well, this isn't great and I really expected it to be a special with some sort of plot/structure/narrative like the other Holiday Specials the Muppets have done. But one thing I personally find so so great (and made me literally beam a big smile) is the fact that Scooter and Rowlf are up there in the foreground, dancing with the others at the very beginning of a holiday special that is pretty much mainstream, or national!!" I think this even happened more than once in the show, if memory serves me right.

To me, that just completely cemented the fact that the "main" or "core group" of Muppets is now and will always be Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter and Rowlf again - and this time, joined by Walter. That, their SNL appearance in 2011, and this musical number in the upcoming movie just prove it (I know Piggy isn't with them in two of these examples, but still.) It looks like it will stay that way now and I couldn't be happier about that. I much prefer it this way than the way it used to be: Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo and Pepe (usually joined by Animal) being the main group to show up in major TV appearances. More people are going to be seeing more of characters like Scooter, Rowlf, Lips and Lew Zealand and I think that's just wonderful!

I couldn't help but think that just a few years ago, I never thought that would ever happen again and we'd be lucky to see Scooter and Rowlf say just one or two lines, or appear in one or two scenes. I think they both were used pretty well in this special. Also, I don't think that any of us thought the Muppets would do a national, prime-time, special like this, so I am thankful for both things here. Even if the finished result could've been better. I think this time, it won't come as complete surprise if they do something like this again and you never know, there's still a chance to do more and better specials :).

I hope that doesn't sound backhanded in any way. I really am trying to make it come off as positive and optimistic and I know there are still some people who loved the special.

14. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

15. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I've been reading the comments section of the review at The Muppet Mindset, and it seems like many who watched the special and commented there really hated it. While some of us had positive things to say about it in this thread as well as the thread at Tough Pigs (and the review at The Muppet Mindset was a fairly positive review), everybody commenting there was truly negative towards it.

It's also interesting how the review article at The Muppet Mindset has 18 comments. Most Mindset articles rarely have more than just a few comments. Keep in mind I'm talking about comments at the actual website, not comments on the Facebook page.

I can't remember, but did Rowlf have any lines in this special? I don't remember him having any. Wow, if this was made in 1991-2008 I'd instantly be able to remember if Rowlf even had a line.

Duke Remington likes this.
  16. D'Snowth

Whoever said the "core group" of Muppets was restricted to Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, and Rowlf? If you ask me, the "core group" of Muppets is ALL the TMS characters - that is, taking into consideration ALL of the Muppet characters there are out there (SST Muppets, TMS Muppets, Fraggles, yadda-yadda-yadda).

But to answer your question, no, Rowlf didn't have any lines in the special. In spite of his recent comeback, he's kind of been reduced to something of a lazy dog.

17. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie Steve Whitmire has an amazing voice on gypsy with gaga

Duke Remington likes this.
  18. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Another little note: I was glad to hear Bernie the agent get a mention in this special.

19. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

Rowlf sang the in the Venus number, and mumbled during the planning scene, and also, in a blooper, was the one who started the 'OOOOOOOOOOOOH' with Kermit, Fozzie and the others when Lew failed to throw the fish.

One of the things people have been saying is that Lady Gaga doesn't fit well with the Muppets.

The Muppets worked with Robin Williams, Ozzy Ozborn, Weird Al, Hulk Hogan, Alice Cooper, Vincent Price, Mr. T, Sir Elton John, and even Mike Rowe. Lady Gaga's just another notch on the 'weird celebs' bed post.

20. MrBloogarFoobly

Whoops.