Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

• I loved "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 74 40.0%
  • "Letters to Santa" was good.

Votes: 71 38.4%
  • "Letters to Santa" was just so-so.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I disliked "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 13 7.0%

• Total voters

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
I had to laugh at the comments about Santa...too funny!

Being one of the minority where I didn't enjoy it I must say that it had nothing to do with the inclusion of Santa. In fact, there should've been MORE to do with Santa, but in the time constraints what ya gonna do?

My complaints merely have to do with the fact that I thought the writing and the schmaltzy songs were played down to children whereas I don't believe the Muppets have ever done that before. It seems in every other appearance of the Muppets, the songs were well-written to where children and adults enjoy them.

I will say I am going to watch it again to make sure I'm placing it on the bottom of the Muppet Christmas themed movies/specials list.

BEAR

Reaction score
Well...I'm not going to take the time to get into the whole arguement about Santa, but I will give my favorite parts of the special.

I thought it was a cute new Muppety special. The only thing is, it was too short. Not sure if you could carry that kind of story line any further but I would have liked more.

Sam Eagle's bit was perfect.

Glad they are bringing Scooter back into the mix but I wasn't crazy about David Rudman's performance. I thought the character's puppetry was bad and the voice sounded too much like Baby Bear. That's all I could think about. What ever happened to the guy that performed Scooter in MWoO? That was spot on! You'd think that if they hit the nail, they would hold onto that performer. Still nice that Scooter was given moments.

Eric Jacobson was good as Piggy, but where was she? She was hardly in the thing at all. The special needed more Piggy. I also felt that Whoopi Goldberg's cameo was too short. They could have played more with that.

Beaker and Bunsen's bits were written well. However, what was up with that chin on Bunsen? That was the strangest thing ever and probably my biggest complaint about the whole thing.

I absolutely LOVED the song between Fozzie and Gonzo. Best moment of the whole show!

Overall...It was fun!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yeah, the Busen puppet was horrid. He could barely move the mouth!

Redsonga

Reaction score
The rest of the music was a blur to me. I'll have to rewatch it. But someone mentioned that the music was horrible...
I don't agree..I mean they aren't Fraggle Rock songs of course, but they are far from awful, and at the very least have more heart than most of the new Christmas cartoon songs..As far as someone saying they are written for children...I dunno, this holiday is one of the times our inner child shines brightest so why would that be a bad thing if it were true?:excited: Honestly I'd rather have something kidy that is at least liked by most people than something that is hated by most for trying too hard to be 'adult' and in the process loses more of the heart of the muppets to me :stick_out_tongue:.
But like I said before VMX is my least favorite muppet film, so who am I to talk?

My favorite song was actually not Gonzo's 'Santa' song but the 'Heart' song where everyone joins in..it is just so full of energy and takes me back to a time in the early 90's when you could count on the muppets to be on tv around this season :big_grin:. It wasn't that you hoped they would be on they just..were. That is the best feeling IMHO:flirt:

I had to laugh at the comments about Santa...too funny!
It was really the last debate in the world I ever thought I would get in *lol* ^.^

Reaction score
I've watched it twice now, each time with my 11 year old daughter. Both times we've really enjoyed it. Many more positives than negatives, IMO. It's just so great to see fresh Muppet material - I'm very appreciative of that. Almost 30 years since The Muppet Movie, and the Muppets are alive and well, laughing, singing (Paul Williams, yeah!) and joking. Thanks Disney and NBC for such a wonderful Christmas gift. :smile:

FatBlueMuppet

Reaction score
This is by far, the very best Muppet project made after Jim's death. I loved it! Loved everything about it. It was great seeing Scooter with a speaking role, tho nothing will ever compare to Richard Hunt's Scooter. Still a pretty good match. The only thing that could have made it better, is if it was a 2 hour special, rather than a one hour special. Somebody mentioned how the conflict was too easily resolved. I think if it were a 2 hour special it could have been better in that aspect. But anyways it was a great special and it looks to me like the muppets are improving big time. Something I never thought would happen. I'm looking forward to the next Muppet film. :smile::embarrassed::concern:

BEAR

Reaction score
If the Muppets are now owned by Disney, I wonder why the special wasn't aired on ABC.

SgtGonzoPepper

Reaction score
I don't have too much to say except: I thought it was really good. Especially after coming off of Studio DC which I felt lukewarm about. It seemed that for once every character got their moment, and I thought it worked all around. my only problem was how short it was, and the songs were all fairly "sappy". There weren't too many big, fast, funny songs. Overall I really liked it. NBC tends to have the best Muppet specials. :cool: Cool....

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Sadly... i liked Studio DC... it actually didn't feel as kiddyish then this special did. Which ruined the muppets.

Say what you will... but i always believed that Jim seperated his projects towards certain age groups. SS for the little guys... Fraggle Rock for 7-12... n Muppets were more so for the older group.

When Disney took over i felt they'd make the muppets for youngsters... I've been proven wrong... till now.

Redsonga

Reaction score
This is by far, the very best Muppet project made after Jim's death. I loved it! Loved everything about it. It was great seeing Scooter with a speaking role, tho nothing will ever compare to Richard Hunt's Scooter. Still a pretty good match. The only thing that could have made it better, is if it was a 2 hour special, rather than a one hour special. Somebody mentioned how the conflict was too easily resolved. I think if it were a 2 hour special it could have been better in that aspect. But anyways it was a great special and it looks to me like the muppets are improving big time. Something I never thought would happen. I'm looking forward to the next Muppet film.
I agree, if it was longer there would have been more muppety problem solving:smile:...It's just like the episode type muppet shows, something always feels like it is rushed or not given enough depth, but it is the best they can do. Besides, if they didn't rush/skip things we'd have no reason to write fanfic:coy:...
Sadly... i liked Studio DC... it actually didn't feel as kiddyish then this special did. Which ruined the muppets.
I don't think it ruined anything honestly :frown:. To me, DC felt more kids only because from the start it was dated with the Disney 'stars' of the moment trying to push muppet love on their main group of fans. LTS on the other hand seemed more timeless and aimed at the child in everyone IMHO, not just the this generation Disney Channel live action fan base...

I have never really put any of the muppets (SS, FR or the main muppets) in marketing age based appeal boxes..to me they all live together, able to be loved by all ages, no matter how they started : ) ...