1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Dec 17, 2008.

?

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

1. I loved "Letters to Santa".

74 vote(s)
    40.2%
  2. "Letters to Santa" was good.

70 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. "Letters to Santa" was just so-so.

27 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. I disliked "Letters to Santa".

13 vote(s)
    7.1%

1. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I would never link child-anything to a bad meaning though, as the whole idea just seems like a put down, an adult type of name calling rather than a label of any solid thing, like the words selfish or greedy would be. The whole idea of having a mindset where if someone doesn't act a certain way they are not useful to the world in any way what so ever just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it is because I am disabled and it hits too close to home in my memories of bullies, I dunno. But if people mean someone is irresponsible they should just say that IMHO, not link it to (what I think is) a mainly positive outlook :excited:

*stops posting on the off topic but still on topic in a way topic as she would actually be stubborn and bullheaded enough to go on with it for pages:coy:*
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well it's not really saying child-anything is bad. Childish is meant as almost a distortion of childlike. The two do not go together. That's what I saw in this Christmas special a little bit (to keep it on topic ;) ).

And I was defending children before when I said kids should be allowed to be kids first. So I wasn't linking bad to children at all. ;)
  3. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

And I was just saying that adults having very strong happy inner children that like to ring shiny bells wasn't robbing real children at the same time of anything what so ever, so we are peachy keen:excited:. Who doesn't love their fun wacky Uncle or Aunt So and So that likes to play as much as they do and is a big kid? I'm sure the little boy or girl the character ended up giving the bike to was very happy :3. Or maybe he kept it and a family members child gets to play with it whenever they are visiting...
  4. heralde

Right absolutely, that is childlike. It's a wonderful thing. What I saw in the special was a little too childish (again, the distortion of childlike). ;)
  5. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

*gets back on topic*
    Well I didn't see it like that :). I saw only good..good that had been missing IMHO, for a long time..muppety good to fight all the depressing tv shows:excited:. We need mooore :(!
  6. heralde

Sure we all get something different out of it, that's as it should be. :) I think "Letters" was much better than VMC in that it was more sweet and uplifting. I just felt for me personally something like Muppet Family Christmas or Emmett Otter was a bit deeper. Not to say that there's anything wrong with liking "Letters". Like I said, I liked it too. ;)
  7. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I thought Officer Meanie and Joy were both performed with a good mixture of childlike/ish qualities. It was obvious from the start that Meanie's gruff nature was a facade to compensate for his arrested development as a young child. Joy just seemed cheery and youthful. Okay, she's not likely a member of Mensa, but she got the job done with bubbly efficiency.

I do agree that they went a little more "all ages" than I would have liked, but it still felt more Muppet Showy than Sesame.
  8. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

i agree. i am a kid but i still wish it was more like the muppet show. and i hated the person they used as santa. why was he british? what the heck. and the mom didnt seem very mom-like to me. i mean i have a 7 year old sister who watched it with me a she loved it. i thought it was too short and we DEFINITLY didnt see enough of piggy in this film. the north pole scene should've had all the muppets. like all the others somehow found their way there. but they was alot of good thinggs too. i did love it. i was happy too see janice, scooter, rowlf, robin, etc. it was definitly more muppety than oz and thew muppets definitly got thier cheer and muppety feel back.
  9. heralde

Exactly, I mean I'm not saying the special should only be geared towards adults. I'm just saying there are many past Christmas specials that are meant primarily for children, but are deeper and challenging to kids (and also accessible to adults).

You know it didn't occur to me that this Santa was British, lol. I guess it is a little out of form. He should have been called Father Christmas. ;)
  10. vettech28

vettech28 Active Member

I loved every minute of it! My brother and I especially loved the joke Pepe did while at the airport. "Blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, Halle Berry". That joke was hilarious! We laughed so much. As always, Paul Williams wrote beautiful songs for the muppets. I can't believe he made a cameo as an elf! I was so surprised! I loved the plot of the story and so much heart as with any great Christmas special. It's now on my list of favorite Christmas specials.
  11. Surprised by all the british santa hate. I always pictured him as faintly british sounding.
  12. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I like when he is more old fashion Dutch (?) like with the brown fur coat and crown of holly:excited:
  13. I said faintly british sounding, not looking. His appearance did leave a teeny bit to be desired.
  14. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I didn't even notice he was british sounding :eek: Maybe because I grew up on BBC shows? I dunno...
  15. Probably. LIke I said, the voice was no problem for me, but I thought I detected alot of hate here.
  16. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I thought he sounded very much like the Santa from the updated Miracle on 34th Street...So it actually fitted in really well since I'd watched that the day before and been re-convinced of Santa's existence before going in to the movie.
  17. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

I didn't hate him being British, I hated him period. To me the actor didn't pull it off. The lines were poorly delivered. That combined with the accent made me hate Santa.
  18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I felt that same way too. I just wish that (once again) the movie had been longer so we could see more of that sort of thing happening with him.

Though, it is a classic cliche, the character that has feelings against Santa because they didn't get what they wanted as a kid, and then they finally wind up getting it at the end of the special/movie.
    I always pictured him with a German (or Eastern European) accent... after all, that's pretty much where Santa came from. That said, I agree... there was something off about that Santa... I get they wanted someone unrecognizable, but I think they should have put someone else in the role. But then again, (time again) we basically got Santa for 5 minutes, 7 minutes from the end.
  19. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Santa and Crumpits

Santa was meant to be an understated character in this film. I think this actor did exactly that. The writers debated about showing Santa at all, but felt his screen absence would attract too much attention.

The magic isn't supposed to be with Santa in this special. The magic is with the Muppets getting their letters to him. I'm pleased the actor didn't try to steal his scenes from the Muppets. It wouldn't have worked, mind you, but it just would have been uneven with the rest of the tone.

American cinema always uses British accents for overseas characters from Santa to Nazis. There's really nothing strange about it here.
  20. heralde

Lol, that's so true. The rule in Hollywood is, if you want them to seem foreign to an American audience, give them the British accent! Even when they're not supposed to be British! :insatiable: