1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Dec 17, 2008.

?

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

1. I loved "Letters to Santa".

74 vote(s)
    40.2%
  2. "Letters to Santa" was good.

70 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. "Letters to Santa" was just so-so.

27 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. I disliked "Letters to Santa".

13 vote(s)
    7.1%

1. Davina

Davina Member

that is assuming they bother to give them any accent at all... see the current tom cruise flick as the latest example... note serious lack at any attempt at german accent...
  2. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

^ Like in "Ever After"? XD
  3. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

So wait...he's supposed to be German? Lol, wow I figured he was playing an American, lol. (Love history but not as up on WWII lol)
  4. Davina

Davina Member

yes.. hard to tell, but it's supposed to be the story of how some of hitler's own men tried to kill him.. hard to tell that from the adverts though.. and yes.. Ever After is another good one.. they should have had at least a few of them try a faint french accent... but closest we got was slight faint tinges of bristish accents.. at best....
    ah well.. that's hollywood for you... i think they've pretty much given up trying.. on the basis that either we're too stupid to understand such things.. or the actors anymore can't be bothered or simply can't do it... not sure which.. probablly a little of both...
  5. Libba Yuki

Libba Yuki Member

The movie had an interesting way of doing that actually....when Cruise first speaks in the movie, he says his first few lines in German. After another couple of lines it melds into English with his normal accent. Like we're watching it translated.

I love Ever After, but I do agree with what others have said...they should have tried using French accents instead.

As for Santa having an accent, it didn't bother me...just Santa's portrayal. I kind of wish they didn't show him at all (instead, just have hints that he's real like they did in SS Christmas Eve), but they needed to show him in order to reveal the kid's wish.
  6. Davina

Davina Member

glad they came up with some sort of "cover" for the lack of accent in that then. haven't seen it yet so wasn't aware they did that.

anyway.. yes.. would have been nice if instead of showing Santa they had the elves email it to him since they'd already established that they'd missed his departure. if Pepe has a blackberry, certainly Santa would.. :)
    though i didn't mind Santa or his accent.. though i kept trying to place the actor while watching :)
  7. heralde

Eh, the "cover's" still not good enough for me. I mean it's not like Tom Cruise is speaking Klingon here! ;)
  8. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Not that would be worth paying £4.50 a ticket for...
  9. heralde

Yeah, send in the Klingons! :halo:
  10. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Short American Klingons with slick hair and fancy suits...Hehe!
  11. heralde

You know...I was thinking...no one cares when Klingons have British accents! :insatiable:
  12. Davina

Davina Member

exactly.. it's such a harsh, sharp language.. klingon really does seem to have more in common with german...
    so it would have made perfect sense for there to have been little klingon storm troopers...

*may have to go have a lie down after laughing so hard at the image*
  13. heralde

So I've learned something new today:

Santa + British = Problematic

Tom Cruise + Finding a way to avoid using accent in movie = Not acceptable

Klingon + British, German or storm trooper uniforms = Just fine! : D
  14. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

*hee* And people say I get off topic :p...

Sooo we have to wait a whole year for a DVD :( *sigh* If only holiday DVDs were the same as normal ones or we would only have to wait two months *lol* :D
  15. heralde

This was on topic; everyone kept talking about the British accent thingie, hehe. ;)
  16. Winslow Leach

Winslow Leach Active Member

Funny, when I saw Valkyre, I didn't think, "oh gee, Tom Cruise isn't speaking in a German accent..." I was actually engrossed in the story.
  17. heralde

I just don't like how Hollywood doesn't even try.
  18. Winslow Leach

Winslow Leach Active Member

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the film was in German; I don't mind subtitles...but again, I wasn't bothered at all by Cruise's lack of an accent, nor the British Santa...and Cruise was perfectly "acceptable" in the role.
  19. heralde

I'm not saying I want movies to be accurate at every turn; I know that's not realistic, hehe. I'm just sick of movies being touted at the Oscars that aren't too deserving (pretty much oh, every year heh).

Even with a "cover", using an American accent in that situation comes off shotty to me.

But that's really off topic, lol.
  20. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

...Right...um, I wasn't bothered by Santa having a British accent. I just thought it was kinda weird that it was Uncle Vernon playing him. =P He...he.