1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: Muppets Most Wanted on Blu-ray and DVD

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, Aug 12, 2014.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I agree actually. They are not voice actors, they are puppeteers first and foremost. Which is why I always thought they should have moved on to new characters, rather than do recasts. Obviously they did try to do that over the years, with varying degrees of success.

2. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I'm a supporter of both. Without the main cast of the Muppets, they'd die on the vine. That's just how it is. I believe that's why The Jim Henson Hour and Muppets Tonight struggled in the ratings. Both introduced too many new characters while classic ones languished in the background.

But yeah, new characters create new dynamics and they keep the Muppet spark alive.

As for successful recasts, this is how I'd order them:

Fozzie, Floyd, Sam, Rowlf, Dr Teeth, Swedish Chef, Uncle Deadly,
    Lew, Beaker, Crazy Harry and Sweetums all seem pitch perfect to me in both voice and personality.

Miss Piggy, Kermit, Waldorf and Statler sound a little different at times and their personalities seem to have become a little watered-down over the years.

Animal seems a little off in personality, but close his voice is near perfect.

Scooter, Robin, Janice, Newsman, Link and Pops sound a tad different but their personalities are close to spot-on.

Of course, these are all fan nitpicks I wouldn't give any of them less than a B. I think they've done a great job. I wouldn't change a thing.

Duke Remington and galagr like this.
  3. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

All of the recasts are just fine. They sound enough like the originals that you'd believe they were the same characters. Remember, Jerry Nelson personally chose Matt Vogel to take over his characters, and they chose David Rudman to take over Richard Hunt's characters because, they were close friends and David knows Richard from the inside out.

4. Mad Monty fan

Mad Monty fan Active Member

If David Rudman were to do the voice for Polly Lobster, would his voice for the character sound exactly Kevin Clash's voice for the character or would it sound nothing like Kevin Clash's voice for the character?

5. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I'd think it would sound pretty darn close. I've never seen David do one of Kevin's characters before though.

6. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

On voices it will take time to get use to the new ones. On both the performers and the fans sides.

7. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

As Kermit would say "good grief!" I'm watching the movie again as we speak. And none of the voices are weird, out of place, mouths not moving right, whatever other criticism is out there.

8. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

One voice I just can not stand is Pops. No offense, but even though there are quite a few recasts that I do not think really work, I cope with it, but Pops sounds far too off, I am glad he only had one line in MMW or I would be cringing throughout the whole movie. Though, this is not complaining, I am thankful that the new performers are trying their hardest, and doing their best to keep the muppets alive. After awhile, the voices sink in to you, and you do not mind it.

9. Pinkflower7783

If anyone says anything about Steve performing Kermit then I'm afraid I can't be your friend. :p

10. Muppet Master

Well this is a wonderful turn of events. First off, the Amazon Instant Video of MMW is down to #30 in "Movies and TV on DVD and Blu-Ray". That is still good, but it never made it past #10, oh well that is good enough. Now, the wonderful turn of events is that the DVD of MMW which basically fell out of the top 100 in less than a week is back in the top 100 at #93, there may be hope for it after all. Also, MMW's Blu-Ray is at #100 in "Movies and TV on DVD and Blu-Ray", and it is good to see that in the top 100 again, hopefully it goes up.

11. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Since Amazon completely jacked MMW's numbers by not offering disc pre-orders (due to their greed feud with Disney) those Amazon ratings numbers are meaningless.

12. Pinkflower7783

Well they can't so any worse then the Godfather III right? :sympathy:

jvcarroll likes this.
  13. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Plus, people are buying Robin Williams movies like mad, which sends them to the top of the list and takes up some of the dollars that would have gone to MMW.

jvcarroll likes this.
  14. Muppet Master

Actually the only Robin Williams movie in the top 20 in "Movies and TV on DVD and Blu-Ray" is Mrs. Doubtfire, and that is all the way down at #16. Meanwhile neither MMW's DVD or Blu-Ray is in the top 100 in the same category, though MMW's Amazon Instant Video is at #32, though it keeps going down.

15. Pinkflower7783

OMG what is up with my grammar on here?!! That was suppose to say "well they can't do any worse..." :sigh: I swear I don't talk the way I type! Stupid autocorrect!:mad:

16. DutchMuppet

DutchMuppet Member

This week I received my blu-ray copy of this movie. I bought it from Ebay for 10 dollar and it contained the blu-ray disc, the case with cover and the slip. Left out was the DVD and the Digital Code. That didn't bother me because I never use the digital codes and the DVD isn't region free. And in the Netherlands can't watch the USA region code. When I opened I saw they left the advertisements inside. After some previews, the menu was very nice. I read somewhere that there were stock photo's in the interrogation room but mine had new footage of the Muppets. The extra's were nice but not spectacular. I really like the music video because I really like Bret since I saw Flight of the Conchords.

The the 3 cuts: In the other topics I wrote about the Theatrical cut so I'm gonna pass that. The Statler and Waldorf Cut is a funny gag. I thought all along that this was gonna be a gag cut so I wasn't let down. Then the Extended Cut. It's a bit a hit and miss. Some parts were great (All the extra Rawlf footage), some were bad (Extra Number one and two joke, Dance scene without a Muppet in it). But overall I think it's a great cut. The quality of the footage is great. Colors are vibrant and sharp. The audiotrack is also good. I couldn't hear that it was a lossy track.

Conclusion: A great movie transfer. The Extended cut is a great extra. The other extra's are funny but could have been more. Great addition for my blu-ray collection.

jvcarroll likes this.
  17. Mad Monty fan

Mad Monty fan Active Member

From what I've been led to believe by a user on YouTube, the yellow creature in the song I'll Get You What You Want is the "you are my sunshine" creature. That's supposedly what I've been told. It may look like it, but it's not the you are my sunshine creature and it's certainly not the gold Fazoob with the tuft of pink hair on its head, which as I much I wish it was, it's not. Anyone else think the Thingy-Thing was the gold Fazoob at first?

jvcarroll likes this.
  18. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

It's the yellow creature from "Hugga Wugga." It's fairly obvious.

Muppet Master likes this.
  19. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Active Member

Great! It looks there won't be a third sequel of The Muppets or tv series of it. Disney is going to lose the muppets.......again!:cry:

20. Muppet Master

Sadly it is true, we are back in 1999, the latest muppet movie has disappointed at the box office, and the future of the muppets looks hazy.