Your Thoughts: Muppets Most Wanted Original Soundtrack

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I know a few people are griping about "Moves Like Jagger" and "Macarena" being included in their full-length versions but I actually get a charge out of both of them. I love to hear Scooter, Pepe and the Penguins turn Maroon 5 on its ear, and I HATED that Bayside Boys Remix of "Macarena" (with the obnoxious female soloist) so it was a hoot to hear Piggy and the flamingos put it through the wringer.

Since it was included in the trailers, I had not had a problem with Scooter singing "Moves Like Jagger", but when I got the album, the first few times I listened to it I didn't feel like listening to the whole song and kept skipping to the next track (so many better songs on the album... I've also only listened to the Spanish Muppet Show theme a few times). But now it's a lot better to listen to.

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
Really wanted to post a review of the film's songs in general, but I was a patient lady and waited for my copy of the soundtrack! Phew, that was an intense wait! :eek:

I find this soundtrack's songs to be more film-tied, plot-specific than the songs from The Muppets. But, I do find their melodic, listenable quality to be at least as consistent, if not moreso, than TM's!

Plus.. seriously... how great was "I can get you what you want?" I was still humming that out of the theater.... for 2 hours.
I WAS TOO. I think that one is high up there on my list of faves! Reminds me a lot of Flight of the Concords with how outright funny it is. And man, do I love Flight of the Concords.

The authenticity of the doo-wop feel in "The Big House" makes it a fave of mine, too :smile:

"We're Doing a Sequel" is way too charming for the simple intro song it is. Very well done! :smile:

"I'm Number One" was a bit underwhelming in the film IMO. I see it as a piece that really heavily establishes a tension between the two villains...but that tension wasn't a major enough part of the film to warrant a song. I actually prefer listening to it than watching it (the green screen was distracting). Oftentimes, I hear Count von Count singing Constantine's part :batty: XD

Although I appreciate "Interrogation Song" for its ambitious rhythm/lyrics, it's not the kind of song I've found myself singing along to. (Yet.) The friend I saw the movie with in theaters loved this one the most, though... and Sam's always fun :big_grin:

:attitude:

I thought "Something So Right" was honestly really hilarious. Maybe it's just my (sometimes immature) sense of humor, but I really hate sappy, dramatic songs. I found this at turns a parody of those kinds of songs, but also injected with a bit of genuine sweetness. When I can't quite tell how much of something is parodic and how much of it is sincere, I call that success :big_grin: Love you, Miss Piggy!

On a *SPOILERY* note, so glad I didn't get this soundtrack before I watched the film--that Josh Groban cameo reveal at the end blew me away. I was ashamed for not putting that together earlier in the film! Loved it!!

Lastly, loved Scooter's "Moves Like Jagger." Loved Scooter in general!! :wink: Awesome job, Mr. Rudman! Loved that it was a great, full song on the album, but only in the film just a tad. I thought "Cluck You" in the first film lasted too long and got awkward really fast, and they full-on avoided that potential distraction with this number.

All in all, love this soundtrack. The original numbers particular to the film are especially, consistently strong. A!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know a few people are griping about "Moves Like Jagger" and "Macarena" being included in their full-length versions but I actually get a charge out of both of them. I love to hear Scooter, Pepe and the Penguins turn Maroon 5 on its ear, and I HATED that Bayside Boys Remix of "Macarena" (with the obnoxious female soloist) so it was a hoot to hear Piggy and the flamingos put it through the wringer.
Ever since I heard Scooter perform "Moves like Jagger," the song has grown on me. I'd love to buy the soundtrack just to hear more of that (if I didn't love the other songs).

Though, I have to say, I kinda like this one better...

I really did like how Macarena was used in the movie, but I don't know what to make of a full version. Though, if anyone saw the episode of Bob's Burgers "Mazel Tina," the Klezmer version was hilarious. Hoping the full version is just as funny.

My only other quibble is that Piggy's version of "My Heart Will Go On," the convicts' attempt at "End of the Road" (which I personally found hilarious), and their "Please Let Me Get This Part" song didn't end up here. It might have padded out what was actually a surprisingly short soundtrack album (especially when compared to TM2011).
I have to admit, that "God I Hope I get it" bit, I don't mind not having. It just wouldn't hold the same weight as it did in the film. As for the others, they're supposedly an iTunes Europe exclusive, along with the unused German theme song. Would be nice if they released them in the US. Maybe as a blu-ray DVD special feature or something.

But darnit... I want this CD bad. I liked the soundtrack to the other CD, but I admit I'd only buy it for Smells like Teen Spirit and the full Tex song.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Even though I've seen the movie and know that Tina Fey is in her Russian guard clothing during "The Big House", when I listen to the song on the album, I keep picturing her singing it in a much sexier outfit. Not as sexy as what Raquel Welch wore in her opening number, or any of the skimpy outfits Lady Gaga wore in her Muppet special, but still something sexy.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing about Brett McKenzie's tracks is that it's easier to understand certain parts of songs that were hard to understand (I know, I could have just read the lyrics...).

It's weird how in Something So Right that other characters also wonder why something so right feels so wrong. I thought the characters were all worried about "Kermit" leaving them behind. What's especially odd is Lew Zeland's line "how can the happiest day of my life feel so sad?" So how is Miss Piggy's wedding the happiest day of HIS life? Shouldn't the happiest day of his life involve him somehow (perhaps the day he got his big break as a boomerang fish thrower)?

Reaction score
One thing about Brett McKenzie's tracks is that it's easier to understand certain parts of songs that were hard to understand (I know, I could have just read the lyrics...).

It's weird how in Something So Right that other characters also wonder why something so right feels so wrong. I thought the characters were all worried about "Kermit" leaving them behind. What's especially odd is Lew Zeland's line "how can the happiest day of my life feel so sad?" So how is Miss Piggy's wedding the happiest day of HIS life? Shouldn't the happiest day of his life involve him somehow (perhaps the day he got his big break as a boomerang fish thrower)?
Perhaps Lew is sad because the Muppets are once again breaking up, but equally happy because the split will allow him to explore new opportunities as a boomerang fish thrower. :fishy: (If memory serves me well, he was shocked at the fact that anyone can "leave the Muppets".)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
(If memory serves me well, he was shocked at the fact that anyone can "leave the Muppets".)
And, according to the Junior Novel, didn't Miss Piggy leave the Muppets first in The Muppets, which is what led to the Muppets all splitting up in the first place?

People wonder who did the translating for The Swedish Chef. It sounds like Ricky Gervais to me. Though the booklet only refers to the character there as "Translator". And if it was a celebrity cameo, wouldn't it be noted in the packaging? For all other songs that include celebrity cameos, the track listings note "with special appearance by..." for them (Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga, Josh Groban, Celine Dion).

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
The translator doesn't sound like Gervais to me, but I have no clue who it does sound like. Great line, though.