Votes: 18 9.9%
  • 2 Stars - Fair

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • 1 Star - Poor

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

beaker

Reaction score
I admit the film does have a very dark, sombre tone. But I just really loved it. There was times that the 2011 film(I felt) bordered on a Disney family channel movie of the week, complete with twinkly effects and an overlit style of cinematography. That scene when you see Beauregard sticking his out the window as the train passes through Europe...or the scene where Dominick Badguy introduces himself to all the Muppets...it just felt like, ok wow...this is a real movie with warmth to the aesthetic and illusion of cinema.

Btw, Dr Tooth...BEST META self reference in the whole film I thought too...when Rizzo comments how he, Robin(and Im assuming Pepe) were hardly in the first one.
Floyd got some good speaking lines...plus we had Jerry Nelson's voice from the old show. So Nelson was definitely felt!

The main complain I see in any review is the admittedly paper thin heist caper. But honestly, what other story would have worked as a vehicle? I mean Sam the Eagle was one of the main stars of this film, that's like insane. He and Ty Berrel(and Im a huge Modern Family fan) were just perfect. I also loved Ricky Gervais nonplus attitude as counter to constantine's over the top manner.

The number one fan complaint seems to center on the Muppets being out of character for not noticing Kermit is gone...but Animal notices, and I think Walter has a hunch. Yet, this provides some of the biggest laughs! The way Constantine mispronounces both the character names and common slang terms(the show must...continue..at a reasonable time) is too funny!

I'm also going to have to agree with Dr Tooth...this is perhaps closer in line with the original 3 than anything done between the TMTM and now. So yes, I agree that this is definitely one of the best.

For me...The Muppet Movie, The Muppets Take Manhattan, Great Muppet Caper then Muppets Most Wanted. It just has that real world realism vibe of those original ones that the last one lacked, as well as the cornball MFS.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The main complain I see in any review is the admittedly paper thin heist caper. But honestly, what other story would have worked as a vehicle? I mean Sam the Eagle was one of the main stars of this film, that's like insane. He and Ty Berrel(and Im a huge Modern Family fan) were just perfect. I also loved Ricky Gervais nonplus attitude as counter to constantine's over the top manner.
Anyone who knows Muppet films knows that the movies have always played with movie cliches. TMM and FTB- Road pictures, GMC- 1940's musicals and caper films, MTM-the Broadway "Star is Born" picture (but with a more 1980's indie-ish picture feel), The Muppets- the getting the band back together bit. What other story would they have been able to do that wasn't gimmicky where the gimmick is the star of the film and not the Muppets? That's one of the major problems with MFS... they needed a space movie because Star Wars.

The number one fan complaint seems to center on the Muppets being out of character for not noticing Kermit is gone...but Animal notices, and I think Walter has a hunch. Yet, this provides some of the biggest laughs! The way Constantine mispronounces both the character names and common slang terms(the show must...continue..at a reasonable time) is too funny!
Which I honestly don't get. In context, Kermit was angrily vetoing everything the other Muppets wanted during the production. Badguy and Constantine were savvy enough to realize as soon as some of the other characters were getting suspicious that they just let them do what they want. Which, honestly, is a nice twist on the evil twin concept. As long as the others were happy, why question anything? Yes, it works on an idiot plot, but it works. And completely agree it's what makes the movie pretty funny.

Besides, if anyone still feels that way, it's nothing personal. They're clearly playing themselves in a movie.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thought... :hungry: and Death during "We're Doing A Sequel", reference to The Seventh Seal. Er, yeah, but isn't that more of a nod to us long-time fans as we're the ones who might recognize it better as a reference to Silent Strawberries directed by Gummo Bergman, Ingmar Bergman's brother?
:attitude: Gummo Bergman?
:sing: Oh good, you've heard of him.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thought... :hungry: and Death during "We're Doing A Sequel", reference to The Seventh Seal. Er, yeah, but isn't that more of a nod to us long-time fans as we're the ones who might recognize it better as a reference to Silent Strawberries directed by Gummo Bergman, Ingmar Bergman's brother?
:attitude: Gummo Bergman?
:sing: Oh good, you've heard of him.

Dude, I was WAITING for someone to say that. Literally, just waiting. That was the first huge laugh I belted out in the movie. Great reference.

We would also remember it as being referenced by Animaniacs ("Chess is foreign to us") and Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I want to jump back in here and comment about a couple of things. The first thing I want to say is this: this is not a contest between the last two movies. It is possible to like both--both are like-worthy--and it is not necessary to pan one to promote the other. My concern here is that, if the world is watching (Disney certainly is), then I don't know if it helps our cause or our muppets if we keep trying to make one of the two Disney Muppet movies (and there are ONlY two of them so far) the "bad" one so the other one seems better. Just saying.... Plenty of love to go around for both--don't you think? I DO, however, love it when fans say/write what they specifically liked or didn't that. That's food for thought, I believe, because we might inform each other's opinions.

I really liked the first movie. I'll bet you I've watched it more than 40 times. Really. There is always something new to see. My best friend really liked Muppets Most Wanted better, which restored my faith in the appeal of this movie, since I did not prefer it.

What bothered me about MMW was the real lack of family-feeling between/among the muppets characters. Even Kermit and Piggy's relationship seemed strangely devoid of passion. Don't you think Kermit wants to know EXACTLY what Constantine has been up to when he's been in the gulag? Taking his place with the cast is one thing, but taking his place with Piggy-- THAT'S another thing entirely. I see the comments along the lines of "if they had realized it wasn't Kermit then they wouldn't have had a movie plot." Yes. I agree. I think that THAT should have spurred them to rethink HOW they could have plotted a script involving a Kermit look-alike who is also a criminal mastermind.

There are good elements in both movies. There are things that could be improved. Let's hope the THIRD new Muppet movie uses everything they've learned to make an even BETTER movie next!!!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Completely agree with Aunt Ru's first point. I found both TM and MMW enjoyable for the story each movie presented. And yes, I am wholly expecting Disney/Muppet Studios will complete the trilogy model with a third Muppet movie in 2017.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll agree that there really shouldn't be a competition, but in terms of film making, The Muppets had some problems in the department of pacing and editing and trying to fit too many things into one movie's time frame, where as MMW is more compact and smooth as a film. So in that context, it's a better put together film.

pezbalubah

Reaction score
Just makes me sad that from all of you, my friends who saw it and myself...everyone is reporting a very low theater attendance regardless of time or day seen.
I saw the movie on Saturday night, we planned on seeing the 4PM showing but it was sold out, so was the 5PM one, so we got tickets for the 7PM showing. We showed up 20 minutes prior to show time and the theater was sold out so my fiance and I had to sit in different rows!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw the movie on Saturday night, we planned on seeing the 4PM showing but it was sold out, so was the 5PM one, so we got tickets for the 7PM showing. We showed up 20 minutes prior to show time and the theater was sold out so my fiance and I had to sit in different rows!
Okay... how is the movie doing so poorly if it sold out in certain theaters?

Is Dominic Badguy bribing audiences to see Divergent?!? :sigh:

Edit: Ugh... I take that comment back. it wasn't that funny.

Anyway, glad to know that one theater was packed for 3 showings. Mine wasn't really deserted either, but it was a smallish room in an independent theater. Last film they used the big main room, but this time it was being used for an Irish Film Festival. Yeah, it was one of those theaters.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
You know what's kinda annoying? Divergent was picked up in 800 more theaters than MMW. When I called some theaters to find out what the big deal was, they told me that "Disney didn't send them MMW".