1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: "Muppets Most Wanted" Theatrical Film

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Mar 20, 2014.

?

How would you rate Muppets Most Wanted?

1. 5 Stars - Perfect

84 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. 4 Stars - Great

67 vote(s)
    37.4%
  3. 3 Stars - Good

18 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. 2 Stars - Fair

7 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. 1 Star - Poor

3 vote(s)
    1.7%

1. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Anyone notice the parallels with the bad stuff Russia's been doing and how Russia is portrayed in this film?

Regarding what James said, In a world where it's all about vfx heavy pg-13 comic book movies and braindead cg films, I'm just happy there is any kind of audience for Kermit and company. For the longest time the main angle was to just ride on "nostalgia", something Transformers no long needs to do or Star Wars. (there was a time when Star Wars fandom, especially in the 89-96 era felt underground)

Given Muppet Babies has never been commercially made available for the modern market, and I cant remember last time it was shown on tv, Im surprised a lot of people still even remember Muppet Babies. There will sadly always be people in this era, will always think of The Muppets as "baby" stuff. Making a darker toned, more serious toned Muppet film tho I feel does go a long way to helping distance itself tho

2. pezbalubah

pezbalubah Member

I loved it! Ricky Gervais, Tina Fey, and Ty Burrell all played great parts and filled the missing void of Jason Segel and Amy Adams just fine. I was happy that Rizzo was in a bunch of shots and was waiting for him to finally get a line, getting frustrated that Pepe would say a line and not him, then he came out with that line with Robin and it was brilliant! Where 2011's "The Muppets" seemed to be a reboot of "The Muppet Movie", this one's a little "Great Muppet Caper" and a little "Muppets Take Manhattan". The songs are great, the opening "We're Doing a Sequel" totally made me feel like I was a kid again watching "The Muppets Take Manhattan" in the theater for the first time. The Flight of The Conchords-esque "I'll Get You What You Want" is this film's "Man or Muppet" so utterly cheesy that it's great. The editing of the covers of "Macarena" and "Moves Like Jagger" were perfect to make you laugh but not have to sit through the whole songs. I was impressed with the amount of lines and screen time characters like Link, Lew, Beauregard, and Floyd got and I loved spotting characters like Annie Sue, Andy, and Randy. The ending with the characters on the wall reminded me of the ending of GMC when the characters are parachuting out of the plane. The end credits with Sweetums, Fozzie, and Rowlf reminded me of something that would be in the Muppet Vision 3D pre-show, just another way to break that 4th wall down.

Here's my only gripe: a product placement shot. Granted we've seen plenty of it in the TV specials/movies but the only theatrical film that I can think of that had it was a Cars billboard added into the shot in the last film. With the Muppets' self awareness I wouldn't mind a joke making fun of product placement in movies, but kids and it seems a lot of adults don't know the difference between entertainment and marketing. It just doesn't belong. All in all I would rank this one ahead of Muppets From Space and Muppet Treasure Island but not quite beyond any of the others.

LouisTheOtter likes this.
  3. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I watched the movie again today. Yeah, two days in a row. Yesterday, after I got home from my first viewing I found that my father had E-mailed me an invitation. Hey, why not? Like

I never get that much out of a movie on the first viewing. I don't know why; I just can't put things together that well. It's the second time where I can really see and enjoy it. And this was the case here. Plus, the theater was full with a mostly-adult audience, and there was a lot of laughin' going on. It did my heart good to hear my father laughing at the Muppets.

You know that AMC sweepstakes thing where you take a picture of yourself by a standup? Well, I saw it at an AMC theater, and there was no standup. Just a poster. Pfeh.

You know all those cameos? I didn't recognize anyone. ANYONE. Well, OK, I recognized Lady Gaga because of her name tag. Otherwise, who were they? I guess I missed some goof jokes, because I heard laughter when some people showed their faces.

Branky and LouisTheOtter like this.
  4. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Not even Tony Bennett?

5. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

Did andy and Randy get a line? how many times they appear??'

6. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

They only sing a short line during the opening number.

cahuenga likes this.
  7. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Nope. I wouldn't recognize his face if I saw it.

8. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Could of sworn I saw Patton Oswalt at the end in the gulag, though probably wishful thinking. I recognized the co-star of Django, so I got the Christopher Waltz Waltz gag. Also the Usher gag. I thought the Gaga cameo was perfect. Though how come they don't get A-list big names anymore, like Tom Cruise, Nic Cage or Sam Jackson? Not that it matters, as the less humans this time around the better.

Curious what repeat moviegoers noticed the 2nd/3rd/etc time. Any easter eggs?

Also how come all the reports from people say hardly anyone was in the theater?
    This movie just felt really smart, as flimsy as the thief plot was. And YES, that Rizzo line about certain characters not getting enough screen time last time was genius. I also wish Disney would put the Spanish Muppet Show clip online, as that was just pure goosebump inducing magical.

9. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

Ya gotta Love Muppet Latter! :concern: :o :fanatic: :halo: ;) :sympathy:

muppetlover123 likes this.
  10. SesameFever

SesameFever Active Member

I loved the movie. Very clever and funny. The music was amazing except I could go without hearing the Magarita I never liked that song.

The Count likes this.
  11. KingR76

KingR76 Active Member

Over here (UK) we got to see it yesterday courtesy of Den of Geek. It was at the Prince of Charles Theatre:

Whilst everyone was being seated on the big screen there were different images that came up including the hashtags to use to promote the film as well as different Muppet Music. Rainbow Connection, Mahna Mahna, Bohemian Rhapsody and it felt so appropriate and indeed this brought a Sentimental/thankful/appreciative tear to my eye:
    [​IMG]

:'(

The person in charge of Den of Geek gave a short presentation and then we had two sing songs:

The Rainbow Connection AND The Muppet Show three hundred people singing in unison- brilliant.

And I don't know how they managed to do it but just before the film rolled Kermit and Gonzo had recorded a segment just for Den of Geek which was an awesome touch. :)

12. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Is it me or did Boppity (the blue Frackle) just got listed as one of the Muppets who appeared in Muppets Most Wanted?
    http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Frackles

I didn't recall seeing Boppity in the film. Did he appear in any of the scenes in the film?

13. ploobis

I believe I saw Boppity somewhere during the end of the finale.

14. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

The green frackle was the only frackle I saw. It seemed like a bunch of 'bad' muppets were in the gulag. Angel Marie, Big Mean Carl, Pink British Pirate, Black Dog, Miss Pooggy, Blind Pew, Green Frackle, it was pretty cool. Pops being on the wall was funny too.

Also, Steve is doing SPOT ON with Kermit now. There were moments I thought they used soundclips of Jim, like his 'EURGH' when Kermit gets hit or something.

Some of my grudges, I wish they'd have more Sesame Street cameos. Even just for a moment. I was hoping the Lemur would be an actual puppet. Wish we got more scenes in the train. They were unique. That train was a total muppet set too. Like the Mayhem Bus of the Happiness Hotel Bus.

KingR76 likes this.
  15. AlittleMayhem

AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

I agree. Muppets on a train has sooooo many comedic possibilities for the film and I feel they didn't take full advantage of that like they did with the Happiness Hotel. Or perhaps they might have done but couldn't fit it into the movie.

cahuenga and KingR76 like this.
  16. Zack the Dog

Zack the Dog Active Member

I Loved it!! I think it was phenomenal! We always have our nitpicks (hoping more of Annie Sue, cheep green screen for Celebrities at the end, fozzie's Subway cup! and some parts cut out from the trailer) but overall its a great Muppets film! It's definitely more of the Muppets film! the characters at the stars! Constantine is wonderful! Walter is still important, Kermit gets to be funny." Miss Pig" Has wonderful moments! I love that Sam Eagle was at his best since the characters been performed by Eric. The chef, Bunsen & beaker, Lew Zeland, the Muppet newsman ect have more to say and do in this movie. And more muppets themselfs singing this time around! I'm glad that Robin,Rizzo, Bobo, and uncle Deadly were at least acknowledged in the film! And miss Poogy!!

Obviously for time parts were cut. I'm okay with the longer runtime in fact I would've said why not just make it two hours! ;-) it just falls as few minutes short of it! But that's just me. Basically Would've liked to of seen all the stuff that was cut from the soundtrack. Rowlf's Godfather 3 line in Sequel along with Lew, Statler & Waldorf, and Rowlf's ideas about what the sequel should be about. The full Muppet show opening showing Thog and Sweetums, mutations dressed up *check B-roll footage* along with Pepe's solo, Gonzo's and Camilla's part in the interrogation song, there was also an interpreter (Assuming it was a Celebrity cameo) for the Swedish Chef in that number. It's all on the soundtrack. Constantine's song Give you what you want Is also longer though they did use it during the end credits.

Other notable deleted scenes and or shots
    Danny's "wocka wocka",
    Swedish Chef chased by the shark.
    Rizzo and Miss Piggy comments "Kermit has never been more caring and devoted. Yeah that's what we're saying" Rowlf and Lew give a glance on the train *Might've been when the train fell apart*
    Lew throws a fish during the wedding scene.
    Dominic ice-skating When he was delivering the money and being followed by Walter which would have had Walter ice-skating too.

Sam the Eagle and the inspector Grabbing on to Sweetums legs during the helicopter shot. (Looks like there *might* have been more with gonzo now after reading someone's comments about the novel. I will have to read the novel now!) but anyway you can see that The inspector has just returned from his vacation as he has tan lines where his sunglasses were in the trailer.
    There was also a scene filmed i read about about when the Muppets first got to the train station they thought They were going to ride in a really nice train but then it pulls away and Bo pulls up behind it in the broken old train.

Another thing, i can't remember where i saw it but I could've swore I saw something with a bank vault being opened and a bunch of muppet pigs inside (maybe even Link) assuming it *might* have been a "piggybank" joke. It would explain where Dominic got all the money he had. maybe it was the first heist with him and Constantine to get money for their plan. Disney did promote the movie with a bank vault muppet standee and at Premier with all the money around.

Scooters And the penguins moves like Jagger number was cut down as well. The soundtrack even has Pepe in it! But I don't know if that was all filmed and May been done for soundtrack purposes. Because On the soundtrack Miss Piggy's Macarena song is longer too but I doubt they would ever use The whole thing in the film. I'm sure it was just used to complete the song for the soundtrack.

Break the 4th wall When Walter,Fozzie and Animal plan to break Kermit out of the Gulag.
    Cameos by Bridgit Mendler and Debby Ryan at the wedding.
    Hobo Joe kissing a hobo Whatnot. There was also a close-up shot of Constantine In his karate outfit In the trailers.

Those are all possible deleted scenes/shots and parts of songs that I can think of. Either read outline or saw in the trailers or heard on the soundtrack. Anyone know of any others? I'm sure there was more we didn't see in the trailers and might never see unfortunately But I'm sure we'll get some stuff on the Blu-ray!!

One Personal note, I thought Statler and Waldorf should have had one more line/crack at the end. Maybe there was one and it was cut for time. Might of been funny to say something about the Muppets permanently staying at the gulag!
    Here's the deleted scene page but it still doesn't list all of them just yet.
    http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Muppets_Most_Wanted_deleted_scenes

17. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I wonder why they couldn't have replaced or cut Walter's line about the song's title being The Muppets... Again. After all, many of the songs had cut lines (and that part wasn't in the music video for "We're Doing a Sequel"). Not sure how easy it would have been to come up with a different line that matched Walter's lip movements.

What product placement shot? I don't recall any product placement.

18. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

Zack the Dog, we're probably going to see all them in the DVD/Blu-Ray.

ploobis likes this.
  19. ploobis

Green Frackle, J.G. Frackle, Pink Frackle and Blue Frackle can be seen during the "Together Again" finale. Just keep your eyes on any Muppets in gulag uniforms.

20. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Did Aretha (the monster who appeared in Fraggle Rock) and Mr. Curly Twirly appear in the finale?