1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: New Muppet Central Forum

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Phillip, May 31, 2011.

1. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

Well, I can't see any reason why someone would be bored with that question as I don't think it's been asked yet;) Sorry I can't answer it though.
  2. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

It hasn't? Oh goody!
    Yes those over forums fill me with fear of saying the wrong thing...
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

The lagging issues seem to be a problem again, and this time, it's really gotten quite worse.

In fact, I'm timing how long I have to wait for a page to finish loading and everything, and it's taking, at most, a minute and 15 seconds just to wait for a board or thread to openand such.
  4. D'Snowth

Also, I would like to ask if the forum staff would please make up it's mind...

Are we, or are we not allowed to have images in our signatures?
  5. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I'll support your concern. I feel my having provided the majority of graphics and branding at Muppet Central over the past 10 years has earned me the right to include my quick-loading, minuscule signature, but others should be able to as well.

I think the problem is that not all members have reliable image hosting so that they don't take a long time to download or cause errors. The graphics also need to be small. Mine is currently smaller than most people's text signatures. but i would have no problem seeing images up to a maximum of 80 pixels tall. It sure would help divide the posts.

I also think we should also be using REAL FIRST NAMES required somewhere in our posts. TP does it and I think we should too! No need to hide behind Muppety names.
  6. D'Snowth

Just wanted to clear the air Jamie, I wasn't singling you out, I've noticed other members still have signature images as well (though Phil did tell me personally that it's against forum rules). I didn't want you to think I was taking a shot at you.
    You bring up interesting points, and you're right, that can be an issue, if not unreliable image hosts, but also if members have a signature image, leave MC, eventually delete the pic, and we're stuck with those lovely red Xs (or depending on the host, one of those "This photo no longer exists" replacement images). And actually, my old Abe Vigoda signature image was pretty much the average size for a signature banner, though people still complained about "how big": it was. Go fig.
    That would make MC more chummy, BUT, there are some people out there who are still apprehensive about sharing too much personal information on the internet, and I know a few people out there who only share their real first name privately with people they know; I know, because as a moderator at another forum, I had to force another member to stop calling another member by her real first name, even after she asked politely (and repeatedly) for the other member to please stop using her real name.
  7. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

:cool: Thanks. I was just making sure you weren't offended by my graphic. Here's the 600x80 size I was thinking would be appropriate. Anything taller than this (that's not a new, on-topic image buried in the body of a post) as a repetitive signature would break the flow of the page. Something like this adds to it and helps separate posts. I support the sort of "ribbon" featured here. It's just enough.
    [​IMG]

:wisdom:I understand the cloak of anonymity, but I think at least first names should be required to facilitate meaningful discussion. I just don't really like discussing things with "BigBird'sFeet83" unless I'm talking to the actual feet Big Bird had in 1983. (Yes, I often speak to inanimate objects. It's when they answer back that you should be worried! ) ;)
  8. D'Snowth

Not at all, I love it! Colorful, and nice light-hearted, yet serious message. :)
    I'd agree to that. Lovely banner BTW.
    I'm not worried at all, that's perfect, and I mean PERFECTLY normal... right BigBird'sFeet83?

BIG BIRD'S FEET FROM 1983: Right!

:eek:
  9. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Jamie, though, there are plenty of people who wouldn't want to be known by their real names here...simply because that's the wonder of a place like this, you can be anyone and anyone...My cheerful Beauregard personna was, at first, so much more zany and fun-loving than my real life one, but eventually my real self caught up and is equally as crazy...but I would never have become anything more than "Matt" had I started out that way.
  10. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

It's wallpaper from the 70's. I'm considering dedicating a wall in my apartment to it!

So maybe we should all just start using 600x80 banners unless otherwise told. I'd support anybody who uses one. :attitude:

I don't know. I have a hard time believing that. :oops: hehe.
  11. D'Snowth

I'm all for it: we've been offered the priviledge to have images in our signature before, and we have it taken away from us every time (even now, because again, Phil did tell me personally that it's against forum rules, and I had to remove my old Abe Vigoda image); but again, I'm all for a 600x80 limit.
  12. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I want to see images allowed. But very strict in size. 600x80 is more than reasonable. There should also be limits like the width and height of your images combined cant be more than that, otherwise you will have jokers with multiple huge images. heck, I would gladly make sigs for people if they need someone to. Also, no animated sigs. They are ugly and take too long to load. Speaking of loading there should also be a file size limit.

As for the names thing, no. There is a reason why I have not revealed my name.Now, if there was an optional box to enter a nickname, that would be fine as it is not pressuring people into giving away personal information they dont want to give away
  13. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I would agree real names should be encouraged but NOT a requirement (even first name). People rightly have various concerns and issues with privacy on the internet - plus let's also not forget about insiders or people who work(ed) with Henson/Muppets who may not wish to so blatently broadcast who they are.
  14. Sgt Floyd

You know, now that I am seeing this from a computer, its not that bad. But the posts bleed much worse than on my phone
  15. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

Yea i remember a few years ago someone from Disney's Muppets studio (then Muppets Holding Company) was hanging around the boards! :electric:
  16. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

A couple things i wanted to throw out (not webtv/skweezer related - but a mix of things i've observed using library computer etc)...

I see that the suggestion to have a poster's gender shown has been noted, but i'm not sure the current way of doing it is the best solution - right now you see a male symbol, a female symbol, or a question mark in the avatar space if the user doesn't have an avatar. But what about the members who do? There are those like me who may have photos of themselves as the avatar but many others have pix of Muppets or other stuff and you still can't tell gender. Also the first time i noticed the gender symbol avatars, i didn't "get" it and thought someone had actually chosen to use the male symbol as their avatar and thought it was hinting at something else not implied.

I'd like to see a little more detail about the user by the avatar like on the old forum (when of course the user chooses to have them displayed) like age, location - i realize you can see this info by clicking on the profile and then clicking THAT to see more specific info...but those extra steps shouldn't be necessary, plus one of the reasons it's nice to see it next to the avatar is it's another way to help keep track of who's who...if you see someone's in a particular place, it might make them stand out more in your mind - sometimes seeing the age of a poster explains a lot about their p.o.v. or the way they may be expressing something. They're all quite handy-dandy little bits of info to know.

...and...since most of you know (especially viewers of this thread) that i tend to be pretty free with discussing things i like and don't like...i'll throw out a compliment (and have some fun shocking some people with the very notion hee hee)...i like the new urls of the threads. It's pretty neat seeing the thread title incorporated into the URL - but the best part is that one can still type a URL without incorporating the thread title and it still will redirect. This is important to me because usually one of the main ways i keep track of what i have/haven't read is by viewing the forum by thread number. When i first saw the new URL's, i groaned at first thinking that it would be harder to so now, but using this thread's URL as an example:

http://muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/your-thoughts-new-muppert-central-forum.47592

you can also get to this thread by just typing:

http://muppetcental.com/forum/threads/47592

and it will automatically redirect - and even better still - say, you're like me and you like reading the forum by thread number, you're reading them sequentially and after reading this thread, you want to next read thread #47593...instead of having to delete the whole last part of the thread in the browser, you can just change the last digit (changing http://muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/your-thoughts-new-muppet-central-forum.47592 to http://muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/your-thoughts-new-muppet-central-forum.47593) and it will STILL go ahead and redirct you even though the new thread won't share the same thread title. Just wanted to both say how much i appreciate that and also point it out to others who may not have noticed this (i discovered this through trial and error and just experimenting myself)
  17. Sgt Floyd

I totally agree with that. I also want to see our post count listed under our avatar. This is the only forum I have seen that doesnt list the post count. Gender and posts I certainly want, age would be interesting if its optional like on the last forum. Location I could care less about.

Dont feel bad. I didnt get the avatar thing either. I saw a female icon and thought she chose that...then I realized it was because she didnt have an avatar set. The question mark makes more sense as a general image for not having an avatar.
  18. D'Snowth

Okay, it IS just my crappy Comcast/xfinity connection that's having the lagging issues, as I had to stop at the library today, and used one of those 15-minute express computers, and MC was boom-boom-boom fast as lightning, far cry from the 45-75 second lagging I experience at home.

So folks, anytime you see those xfinity commercials saying how their internet is so much faster than DSL, in the words of Tom: "DOOOOOON'T YOU BELIEEEEEVE ITTTTTT..."
  19. bingboingcutie

bingboingcutie Active Member

...WHY??!?

i wouldn't be surprised if a forum on heckling were created and it kicked out Fozzie.
  20. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

---------------------------------
    I'm mostly adjusted to the new Forum...but I STILL deplore the fact that there aren't well-defined text boxes or ANYTHING that really separates posts from one another! Please, o mighty Admin, can't you do anything about this??
    ----------------------------