1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts On "Muppets Tonight!"

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Barry Lee, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

Hey ya'll.

What do ya'll think about Muppet Tonight? I have mixed feelings, its a really good show, the characters are colorful and wacky, I love Clifford, Rizzo, Johnny Fiamma, and Sal Manilla. Kermit isn't host, but I think he really does appear alot in the show so that makes up for it. Also, I love Pepe' and Seymour, it's a shame that they arent together much anymore, I also love love love Bobo, he's just hillarious, especially in the Cindy Crawford episode. My only complaints are the musical numbers, they are short, it seems they just cut off to the control room scenes, and it gets annoying. Also, they have so much guest star stuff. It was cool to have Muppet Flashback things with the guests at first, but having it in almost every episode is very annoying.

I really love the Muppets stepping out of the television studio, especially season 2, we should see more Muppet shows like that, because it breaks away from the variety format, into a sitcom type situation. But overall, its a great show, what are your thoughts/ feelings about this?
  2. Mickey Moose

Mickey Moose New Member

While I don't think anything can measure up to the original Muppet Show, Muppets Tonight was pretty good. It had some very funny moments. I especially liked the Garth Brooks episode where he kept wanting to do anything but a country song.
  3. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

I have NO thoughts on Muppets Tonight! actually. Unfortunately I had never even seen the show. Although I do like the characters that came from it like Clifford (although he's been around since the Jim Henson Hour right? Never saw that either), Johnny & Sal, Pepe, Dr. Phil Van Neuter (who I haven't seen since Muppets From Space), and especially Bobo!
  4. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I really enjoy Muppets Tonight!... in fact, I was planning on having a marathon today. Whoo-hoo!
  5. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

On Martin Luther King day, im planning to have a MT marathon so... there. (no seriously i am)
  6. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

I feel that Muppets Tonight gets far more negative criticism than it really deserves. Too many people were judging it for not measuring up to the original Muppet Show instead of treating it as it properly should have been.
    Not as a continuation of the Muppet Show (although it really was a follow on in some ways) but as a contemporary variation. Once people got used to the differences I believe that it could have become just as big a hit as its predecessor, but the television stations wouldn't give it a chance.:( They kept putting it on and taking it off so people never got so attatched to it in the end. That's what happened here in Australia and I've heard also overseas.:cry:

That said, I always knew it was a worthy show of Henson's memory. I loved all the new characters especially you-know-who. (for those who honestly don't know my username is based upon him).

Guest stars I would have liked to have seen are Madonna (the apple of my eye:flirt: ), Weird Al Yankovic and David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson together in an X-Files tribute episode.
  7. dawningoftime

dawningoftime New Member

I liked it and I think it had potential. Unfortunately one of the episodes was about there being a bomb in the theatre was suppose to air on the anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing and I think that was a convenient excuse for the network to yoink it from the air.
  8. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

I have to say that I liked Muppets Tonight. I mean, to me, THAT had much more "adult" appeal than The Muppet Show. I mean, TMS wasn't really "adult" as they all claim to be, because it was always just "sugar-coated" stuff. Okay, there was (cartoony) violence, sights of "eatings" etc. Plus, it's good that they moved on. A lot of you have wanted the new show to be set in the same theater. My question is: Why do it again? If they did it again, would it still be good? Every great TV show, cartoon, anything that progresses later on has to know how to evolve. But if there's a point where a new stage doesn't last too long, or just didnt work in the first place, then they move on. At least it's better than nothing at all, right? Take, Scooby-Doo for instance. Noticed how the characters have really evolved and "matured" over the years, and at least now they're not running after the "lame/fake" monsters.
  9. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I can't post too much on here, because I only watched the show once, and it just didn't grab me. At first it was probably because the old characters weren't there, which isn't the best reason. But I might have gotten over that eventually. It just wasn't really adult humor, it was like teenagers trying to act adult. The Muppet Show was the more mature of the two shows. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing it again, just to check it out.

But you know, carry on it you're a fan, we don't all have to like the same things! :)
  10. anytimepally

anytimepally Active Member

I was just watching some Muppets Tonight!, and the scene when Dr. Van Neuter gets drunk at the Vet Christmas Party may be my favorite thing in the whole series.. it's just great :crazy:
  11. Winslow Leach

Winslow Leach Active Member

I liked Muppets Tonight very much. The only problem was, it was often hard to find, the network would shuffle it around so much. I think the last several episodes were eventually burned off on the Disney Channel.

But it was a fun show, and it was great to see contemporary stars like Michelle Pfeiffer and Sandra Bullock show up. I mean, when was the last time one could see Michelle Pfeiffer on a television program?

I liked many of the new Muppets, especially Dr. Phil Van Neuter, Pepe, Johnny, Sal and Johnny's mama. It was a creative and funny show, and probably my favorite post-Jim project.
  12. BeakerSqueedom

BeakerSqueedom Active Member

I thought it was a great show. Like Winslow said, it was shuffled too much and it gave me quite a hard time to find it at times but it was very fun to watch. It kept me entertained for the longest time and it was just FUN to watch!

Eggnog...HAHAHA!
  13. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

Well I have the whole series on my Ipod, ;) .

Overall I enjoyed it.
  14. Gonzo14

Gonzo14 Active Member

I liked it, my only complaint was the New Pigs in Space, it's just not the same without Link and Dr. Strangepork
  15. Blind Peeeeew

Blind Peeeeew New Member

I think everyone on the Muppet Central Forums will agree that we all have a very special place in our hearts for Jim Henson and the origional Muppet Show. It has emotional value, historical importance, and it was a testament to someone pursuing their dream.

However, looking at The Muppet Show and Muppets Tonight objectively, I truly believe that MT is the better of the two shows. It had better pacing. It had a wider variety of reoccurring sketches, such as Tales From The Vet, Elvises of History, Bad Polly and Clueless Morgan the bartenders. It had the best looking puppets I've ever seen! (even Andy and Randy Pig had moving eyelids, and they could have been just like any other Muppet pig)

But it had something else special to it as well. Each episode was so packed full of classic material. Memorable moments that were laugh out loud funny. It was witty, it was clever, it was hip (without trying to be, like the post Disney Muppet material). If everyone was fair, it should have given the old Muppet audience everything they wanted, while also bringing in a new Muppet audience.

Muppets Tonight offered most of what we loved about The Muppet Show, while not being a repeat. It had our favorite characters, with Clifford, Rizzo, Kermit, Gonzo, Bunsen Honeydew, Beaker, Statler and Waldorf in starring roles, and Fozzie Bear, Sam Eagle, Animal, Miss Piggy, Mulch, Clueless Morgan and Bad Polly all as reoccurring characters. But it also had the largest amount of new characters introduced since TMS (with possibly a higher amount of new Muppets) Classic characters like Bobo, Seymour, Pepe, Nigel, Phil Van Neuter, Johnny Fiama, Sal Manilla, Andy and Randy Pig, Spamela Hamderson, Bill The Bubble Guy, Mr. Poodlepants and many more.

I'm sorry if I've gone on too long, but I've always wanted to say all this. It was an amazing show that I can't watch without a smile on my face. It was definately one of the greatest live action shows of the mid nineties, and it should live on throughout history as the best example of what should be done to continue Jim Henson's work. The executives at Disney should be studying ever facet of this show. But I regress...

Eggie noggie, eggie noggie...
  16. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

Muppets Tonight is pretty good. The newer muppets, like Pepe, Johnny, Sal, etc. are all brightly colored, which I liked.

I think the biggest complaint I have on the show is the introdudction on too many new characters while the older characters get shafted.

Example, in the first episode, the very first scene had Kermit and a lot of the original muppets, like Janice and Lew Zealand, and then bam, they dissappear, even though Lew Zealand shows up in episode and speaks. From then on, it's new characters like Johnny, Sal, Zippity Zap, Bobo, etc.
  17. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I will say this once. There is no comparing MT to TMS, like you cannot compaire 1969-1989 Sesame Street to 2001-2007 Sesame. It's 2 completely different things, and you just can't get anything better than the original.

Jim and Richard weren't there, and Frank was absent most of the time, so those hands were gone.... so we have new people who are doing stuff that is completely different, as they are different people.

That said, i really loved MT, but no more than TMS. However, I think the muppet central segments of the Jim henson Hour are vastly underrated. Jim and co were trying to go in different directions, and I really enjoyed how they have all the TV in the universe on demand and can bring various feeds of bizzare shows. Now that was an amazing concept that i can't even say was ahead of its time, because no one but Jim could have thought of something so wacky and wild.

Back to MT... the only things I really didn't like were some of the weaker new characters. I love Pepe, Johnny, Sal, Bobo, and Van Neuter, but Andy and Randy pig just don't work. Plus the new Pigs in Space just wasn't that good. Actually, all the Pig segments were pretty much one note jokes. other segments worked well, but I think Spamala Hamderson wasn't too funny, dispite being a very apt parody of the real one.
  18. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I kind of prefered The Jim Henson Hour's, Muppettelevision. I liked how Kermit went from the Muppet Show to organizing his own TV station and how he brought old characters like Link and Gonzo to help him out along with some new Muppets like the cool looking Digit and the cute Bean Bunny and the cool Clifford.

Muppet's Tonight was pretty okay.
  19. Pork

Pork Active Member

I liked Muppets tonight. I don't remember alot because it wasn't on very much. But I enjoyed it.
  20. travellingpat

travellingpat Active Member

JJ and Janice how do you have the whole thing on an ipod?