Your Thoughts: Server Upgrade January 31

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In honor of our 16th birthday, everyone will be receiving a little gift...

This Friday we'll be making some major upgrades to our server. We'll be moving to an optimized SSD server which will provide a noticeable speed increase for everyone using the site and especially the forum. This will also allow us to make some significant upgrades in the near future.

The transition for our forum will require some brief downtime. Please follow our Facebook and Twitter accounts if you want to stay up-to-date with the upgrade as it happens. We'll announce on Facebook and Twitter immediately when the forum is back on-line.

Thanks in advance for your understanding. If you have any difficulty or questions about this transition, please let us know here.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
What are the exact changes from the Muppet Central Forum? I don't see any changes and I am not sure if this brings any justice to anyone unless there were changes, but I digress. (sighs)

EDIT - How is a server upgrade supposed to make this forum any better? I see nothing but tumbleweeds. :sigh:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Speed. The difference is speed. This was a SERVER upgrade, not a SOFTWARE upgrade. I can't answer for Phil, but I'm assuming this is all it is.

Servers only host websites and store data. They don't have anything to do with the features of a website.

Maybe we won't get those errors anymore though

DutchMuppet

Reaction score
I don't know the specs of the server but it's also possible that new software packages are allowed on its new server. Like a blogtype of website or a webshop. Things that aren't ready now but can be developed in the future. Sides of the speed and trafic control (more people can reach the website at the same time).

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Speed. The difference is speed. This was a SERVER upgrade, not a SOFTWARE upgrade. I can't answer for Phil, but I'm assuming this is all it is.

Servers only host websites and store data. They don't have anything to do with the features of a website.

Maybe we won't get those errors anymore though
Winner winner, chicken dinner!

From Phil's original post:

This Friday we'll be making some major upgrades to our server. We'll be moving to an optimized SSD server which will provide a noticeable speed increase for everyone using the site and especially the forum. This will also allow us to make some significant upgrades in the near future.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If it's speed, then I must confess I see no difference, but then again, once I got my current computer a couple of years ago, speed was no longer an issue for me.