1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: Server Upgrade January 31

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Phillip, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

In honor of our 16th birthday, everyone will be receiving a little gift...

This Friday we'll be making some major upgrades to our server. We'll be moving to an optimized SSD server which will provide a noticeable speed increase for everyone using the site and especially the forum. This will also allow us to make some significant upgrades in the near future.

The transition for our forum will require some brief downtime. Please follow our Facebook and Twitter accounts if you want to stay up-to-date with the upgrade as it happens. We'll announce on Facebook and Twitter immediately when the forum is back on-line.

Thanks in advance for your understanding. If you have any difficulty or questions about this transition, please let us know here.

MuppetSpot and jvcarroll like this.
  2. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Our new SSD server is now on-line. Thanks for your understanding during the brief downtime.

3. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

So what are some of the new changes brought about by this server upgrade? :search:

MikaelaMuppet and D'Snowth like this.
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm also curious as to what kinds of changes and/or improvements we can expect from this upgrade.

5. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I have not seen or felt any changes from this.....

ElizaSchuyler likes this.
  6. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

What are the exact changes from the Muppet Central Forum? I don't see any changes and I am not sure if this brings any justice to anyone unless there were changes, but I digress. (sighs)

EDIT - How is a server upgrade supposed to make this forum any better? I see nothing but tumbleweeds. :sigh:

ElizaSchuyler likes this.
  7. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Speed. The difference is speed. This was a SERVER upgrade, not a SOFTWARE upgrade. I can't answer for Phil, but I'm assuming this is all it is.

Servers only host websites and store data. They don't have anything to do with the features of a website.

Maybe we won't get those errors anymore though

Phillip likes this.
  8. DutchMuppet

DutchMuppet Member

I don't know the specs of the server but it's also possible that new software packages are allowed on its new server. Like a blogtype of website or a webshop. Things that aren't ready now but can be developed in the future. Sides of the speed and trafic control (more people can reach the website at the same time).

Phillip likes this.
  9. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

From Phil's original post:

Phillip likes this.
  10. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

If it's speed, then I must confess I see no difference, but then again, once I got my current computer a couple of years ago, speed was no longer an issue for me.