1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by Phillip, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

That would be funny to see a montage of fanits or falls. I just now love the chin up Grover skit. That is now my favorite skit so far from the Old School DVD. It's just funny to hear all those sound effects of Grover falling and then to show what happed. I never gotten enough of characters fainting or falling. Funny stuff.
  2. paulyw

paulyw New Member

I have the video and it sure brings back memories! :D
  3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I wonder how the order for the classic cuts were chosen. I guess randomly. There are several skits that I would have put in first and skits that I would have put in last. It doesn't really matter much, because I usually watch the classic cuts one at a time (depending on which ones I want to watch at the time), but if I was in charge of the order, I would have made it like this:

Season 1:
    Rubber Duckie
    ABC-DEF-GHI
    Bein' Green
    James Earl Jones counts to 10
    I Love Trash
    Batman crosses the street
    I've Got Two
    The Alphabet with Lou Rawls
    Big Bird meets Little Bird
    Jackie Robinson recites the alphabet
    Alphabet Soup
    Swinging Gibbon

Season 2:
    King of 8
    Over, Under, Around, and Through
    Being a Pig
    S-Superman
    Count to 20 with Listen My Brother
    Mystery Drawing: Astronaut

Season 3:
    C is for Cookie
    Ladybug Picnic
    Mumford's Magic Trick
    I in the Sky
    Alligator King
    Mad Painter
    Martians Telephone
    Martian Beauty
    Would You Like to Buy an O?
    I Am Somebody
    Take a Breath
    J Friends
    Harvey Kneeslapper
    A Special Day with Ernie and Bert
    P-My Favorite Letter

Season 4:
    Sesame Street News: Rupunzel
    Bert's Bust
    The Song of the Count
    Bread, Milk, and Butter
    Lost Paperclips
    First and Last with Beetle Bailey
    Witches Cooperate

Season 5:
    Super Grover: Telephone Booth
    The Monsters Three Wishes
    Twiddlebugs go to the zoo
    A Flower Grows
    Madrigal Alphabet
    Nasty Dan
    At the Movies with Ernie and Bert
    Jazz Alphabet
    Hamburger Bun Factory
  4. minor muppetz

Since the first set had ten or more bonus sketches for seasons 1, 3, and 5, but only around 6 or 7 sketches or seasons 2 and 4, I think that maybe the next set should have more bonus sketches for seasosn 2 and 4, and less for seasosn 1, 3, and 5 (I'd prefer for the number of bonus sketches to be closer to even, though).

Here is a good possible line-up (with season guesses as well as seasons that I know for sure the sketches came from):

Season 1:
    The People in Your Neighborhood (original version)
    Near and Far with the original Grover
    Jazz #8
    Ernie's sandbox game
    alphabet in the street
    H-hole

Season 2:
    The Geefle and the Gonk
    Mad
    Eleven Cheer
    I'm an Aardvark
    Grover plans to surprise Ernie
    Queen of Six
    Herbert Birdsfoot has Cookie Monster figure out how to get a cookie from a device that blocks the cookie
    Ernie and Bert demonstrate "wet" and "dry"
    Little Bird's imagination game
    Admiral (Big) Bird
    Harvey Kneeslapper: "Do you know where I wanna B?"
    Twiddlebug Mystery

Season 3:
    The Ballad of Casey McPhee
    Kermit and Bob talk about frogs
    Candy Man
    The Nobel Ostrich
    Mad Painter #7
    The National Association of W Lovers

Season 4:
    The Count and Cookie Monster co-operate
    Everybody Eats
    The Royal Smart Person invents a tooth brush
    Herry and John-John count to 20
    Beat the Time with Grover
    Grover the Waiter: Simon Soundman
    Ernie and Bert meet Tough Eddie
    Me and Julio own by the Schoolyard
    Cookie Monster at the carnival

Season 5:
    Newsflash: Yankee Doodle Dandy
    The King Banishes the Letter P
    Starfish
    We Coulda
    Count it Higher
    Ernie and Cookie Monster: which is which?
  5. anytimepally

anytimepally Active Member

That is a skit I would LOVE to see on the next set! Cookie Monster is so funny.. "what you think these.. walnuts?" :crazy:
  6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I finally got my copy the other day and I simply can NOT stop watching it! Sesame Street was SOOOOOO different back then, it's incredible... and everybody looks so young, Gordon has hair, Luis has a long hippy hair-cut, the Muppets looked so primitive, and I love Mr. Hooper, and I have a better idea of what the character of David was like, and I was right, he seems so cool! And also there are A LOT of skits and sketches that I didn't realize were THAT old, like the cartoon about the bear and the exit sign, or Super Grover trying to help the little lost girl, or even Doin' the Pigeon, and many many more!

I loved this set, it's now my favorite DVD out of all that are in my library (even more than my M*A*S*H DVDs)!

Can't wait to see what Volume 2 might be like!
  7. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Gatta get it one of these days!:) it kind of makes you relise that we get more old school stuff then we had previously though. I had no Idea some of this stuff was as old as it is either.
  8. minor muppetz

I can't wait to hear an official confirmation for a volume 2.
  9. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

I'm praying as hard as I can that there will be a Volume 2; it'd be cruel for Sesame Workshop to raise people's hopes and then leave them terribly disappointed. (How many of us have favorite classic clips that aired after 1974? Most of us, I bet!)
  10. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

P.S. Yes, I finally got the DVD player running, months after a friend gave me one (plus the Old School discs!) for the holidays. My TV is so old that finding a decent adapter took a loooong time; still, watching the oldies was worth that wait. :)
  11. anytimepally

anytimepally Active Member

I still fuming over here at the exclusion of Little Jerry:attitude: :boo: :grouchy:
  12. Chris Gawley

Chris Gawley Member

Although I love the box set, I wish they put more clips on it!
    While I agree with the CTW regarding repetition is the key to education, they really didn't need to rrepeat so many clips throughout each dvd! They could've included so many many more great clips that haven't seen the light of day in years!
    Hopefully they'll get it right for the next installment.
  13. minor muppetz

I don't mind it that much. Those episodes were originally included in the episodes that Sesame Workshop chose to have released. I don't think Sesame Workshop chose those episodes just because some of them have the same sketches (and quite a few episodes had the same sketches sown twice). I read that the first Electric Company set had a few sketches repeated within the episodes chosen for inclusion, and I read at Wikipedia's page for The Electric Company that some of the episodes on volume two were cut, stating that most of the cut sketches were already on volume one, speculating that Sesame Workshop didn't want to repeat many sketches (but I don't recall any citations on that). I don't know if anyhting was replaced on that set.
  14. MaxeyBoy

MaxeyBoy New Member

hi, im from england and had to search high and low for a dvd 'hack' so i could get it from amazon and actually play it on my machine...im glad i did..

a few things, someone mentioned an easter egg, where would that be? (yeah i know, i should work it out for myself, but im far too lazy)

plus if you listen closely on the episode where david leads a conga-line/follow the leader type thing and big bird gets his beak in his face david says -

"im gonna kill you".
  15. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Lol yeah I noticed that too, lol.
  16. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I just got the Old School DVD form Caroline for my birthday! And it's just great!:)

Wow! That was some really cool sounding music mike!:)
  17. Billy Moon

Billy Moon New Member

Reading the review made me want to buy the Old School DVD. Originally I thought I probably wouldn't like it much, since there isn't a nostalgic aspect in it for me - the only Sesame Street I've seen (apart from the two movies) was our short-lived local version some ten years ago.

But are there many Muppet scenes a grown-up who's never seen the original version on Sesame Street can enjoy? Or does the set's charm lie in the nostalgia? For the record, I did enjoy Follow that Bird, but not so much the Elmo movie...:concern: :smirk:
  18. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

Proof positive that it was NOT an "urban legend":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmbKH66jtJc&feature=related
  19. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well for a purely Muppet fan, there's a lot of charming early Kermit footage. And the first Old School DVD has a bonus feature featuring Rowlf and Kermit sort of pitching the show, which is quite funny, lol.

I do appreciate Old School for nostalgic reasons, but I also think it has a lot of genuinely funny Muppet moments, in that the early days of Sesame Street was much more multi layered, something both kids and adults could appreciate.

Hope that helps!
  20. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

If a volume 3 is released, I hope the entire camp saga is included along with it, since part 1 debuted on season 14, and it wouldn't be right to not include the others in the saga. It also wouldn't make sense for SW not to include the famous episode in which Mr. Hooper dies, so I hope they do.

Also, I see parts of season 11 would get into some copyright troubles, since "Happy Birthday" is used in a couple of scenes. That's why a scene in season 7 got edited on the DVD release. :boo: