Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

minor muppetz

Reaction score
CherryPizza said:
I guess it's inevitable that the fans who watch and the legal teams who guard these releases will never completely see eye-to-eye, but Sesame Workshop seemed to be incredibly considerate this time. Admitting that the show has grown-up fans, promising something Elmo-free and releasing as much as they can is sure a great effort on their part.
How do you know that the buying fans and the legal teams won't see eye-to-eye? Maybe somebody working on these sets will eventually post information here, perhaps explaining the process, how bonus skits were chosen, and other stuff. Maybe they could also ask us what we want. Back when The Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock first season sets were released, the writer of The Muppet Newsflash website managed to get a lot of info from Disney and Hit! regarding these releases. It's too bad that he didn't get more info on this set that wasn't announced in any press releases. But maybe somebody in charge of the box set will become a member of this forum, just like how people who worked for Palisades Toys were members back when the Muppet Show action figures were being produced.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have just looked at the list of bonus sketches again, and it seems like the non-muppet skits outnumber the muppet skits, 27-24. I thought it looked like there were more non-muppet skits, but didn't think the score was this close.

I have been wondering if future sets will include other season premiers, but then if this is the case then there is a bit of a problem. I believe that the season 12 premier is part one of the five-part episodes where Big Bird goes to camp. It would be weird to just have part one of a five-part episode on a DVD set without the other parts.

mjb1124

Reaction score
Based on the review, this set seems to be just what I expected: a great set overall with some minor disappointments. I'm certainly not happy about the edits, but at least they're relatively minor, plus everything cut from the Noggin airings is intact, and three of the episodes are complete.

There are a sketches on here that I haven't seen which look promising, and the ones I have seen are definitely classic material worth having on DVD. I look forward to seeing the pitch film as well, and major kudos for including the Friday credit rolls among the bonus features (that idea had occured to me, but I didn't think they'd actually do it).

Also, if I'm interpreting the review correctly, I take it that the PBS "P-Heads" logo is seen at the end of all five episodes? That's rather odd to me. I'm guessing that either they used later prints of episodes 1 and 131 (though I thought that the season 1 episodes would have been shelved by the time that logo debuted), or they weren't able to get the rights to use the NET logo. Still, this sure beats a "Sesame Street was originally produced for the Public Broadcasting Service" screen.

In any case, I won't think twice about buying this!

minor muppetz said:
I have been wondering if future sets will include other season premiers, but then if this is the case then there is a bit of a problem. I believe that the season 12 premier is part one of the five-part episodes where Big Bird goes to camp. It would be weird to just have part one of a five-part episode on a DVD set without the other parts.
I would hope that they'd continue to use this format for future groups of five seasons, but you do bring up a good point. I'd say the most logical solution to this issue (besides issuing all five episodes) would be to include the story scenes from the other four episodes among the bonus features.

EDIT: By the way, I checked Muppet Wiki, and the weeklong "Big Bird at Camp" story took place during the first week of season 14, not 12.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
1. Does this set include any skits where Richard Hunt performs voices?
Yes, he's the green witch in "Witches Cooperate."

theprawncracker

Reaction score
FANTASTIC review! Now I absolutely cannot wait to spend my birthday money on it on Tuesday!! :excited:

Oh, and a bit of a word of warning. For those of you planning on purchasing the set at Best Buy, don't even try. I was just there today and they WILL NOT be getting it in on Tuesday, and possibly not at all. But, from what I understand, Target will have it. So I'll be going there on Tuesday.

Grover

Reaction score
I am going to purchase my coppy on Thursday. Are you sure that Best Buy is going to have the set? I talked to one of their employees and they said there going to get their set two days later. Anyways, I can try another retailer Supestore.

Excellent review Gbrobeck, you defenitely desevere a thumbs up ! :frown: :stick_out_tongue: :smile:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
I hope walmart will carry it! Seems like now adays they ONLY carry so many things! I HATE walmart!!! lol :stick_out_tongue:

zns

Reaction score
I'm going to get mine at Barnes & Noble, seeing as how I have some gift cards for that place.

CherryPizza

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
How do you know that the buying fans and the legal teams won't see eye-to-eye? Maybe somebody working on these sets will eventually post information here...
I meant, fans will always want to see EVERYTHING

Legalities will never be able to allow EVERYTHING, and that it's inevitable that there will always be something missing. I wasn't suggesting that people would be throwing chairs at each other a la Jerry Springer

gbrobeck

Reaction score
It needs to be pointed out that I have found an easter egg on disc 1 consisting of a small little photo galleries with some conceptual drawings and a couple behind the scenes photos. I don't want to spoil anybody's fun in finding it though :smile:

Greg