Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 35

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The first new "regular" episode of Sesame Street will begin airing today. Be sure to check out the new episodes and let us know what you think of the format changes, guest stars, and new segments.

If you want to discuss "The Street We Live On" special. Please do it at the link below. Try to keep this discussion devoted to the other episodes throughout the 35th season.

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=13476

If you don't know when Sesame Street airs in your local area, you can check your listings here...

http://www.tvguide.com/listings/

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Guess I shoulda come here first, since I was thinking of starting up this similar thread. Well, it looks as if Phil beat me to it.
Hey Phil, is it OK if I ask about the new characters here in this thread too? To make sure I haven't missed anything with the help of those who have better sight than I do?

As for my thoughts... I'll be refering to these in order they're aired since I don't know what episode number they rully have.
First off, about the schedule. Can't believe what they're doing here in Puerto Rico. The local main PBS station on channel 3 (WMTJ 40) has stopped airing Sesame Street after airing the 35th anniversary special! For so many years I watched it there, and now I have to get used to watching it on channel 6. The other thing is that Sesame's lost it's trademark timeslot of 3:00 PM EST and is only aired on local Channel 6 at 9:00 AM EST. Why is that? Cause it seems as if local Channel 6 is attempting to become a local version of Noggin, at least that's the only explanation I can come up with.

Secondly, Episode 2: The Best Pet in the World.
It was good seeing all the characters with their pets.
1 Telly's the only other character I've seen interact with Rocco, and at first it seemed like he bought into the fantasy of a pet rock.
2 There are times, like when Telly said that Rocco wasn't the best pet, that he seems to me to be like Tony Kornheiser from the show Pardon the Interruption on ESPN.
3 It was good to see Cookie Monster's Mom on the Letter of the Day segment, the letter B.
4 Liked the song with B.B. King, first time I saw it.
5 Was surprised when they changed it from Journey to Ernie into Journey to Big Bird.
6 Global Grover was good especially with Grover slipping on the banana peels, though I think they should axe Globalinki.
7 They had two classic SS songs during the Elmo's World segment.
Everybody Wash was hinted at with the background music during the TV portion, and then two Elmo-elephants sang We Like to Sing in the Shower.
8 Not sure, but it seemed that the bathtub guest in Elmo's World was voiced by Rosco Orman.
9 Trash Gordon is something that maybe Drtooth will like, since it's a spoof of Flash Gordon.
Oscar reads Slimey from the Adventures of Trash Gordon at bedtime, where Gordon then gives us the classic SS ending.
Hope this helps and have a good day.

BeckyDR

Reaction score
I'm sure everybody noticed that following JTE (JTBB) was a vintage Ernie/Bert skit (the one where Bert and Bernice are playing checkers). Hopefully we will see more of these as the season progresses.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. It would be wonderful to see one pre-1990 Muppet skit each show.

Cheebo

Reaction score
My PBS has always been one day behind than everyone else so I havent seen it yet. Can anyone tell me if the Letter & Number of the day sketch was new?

Dantecat

Reaction score
Nope, they weren't new. Just the Count and Cookie Monster still!

I can't wait till the next episode airs tommorow. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
So far, pretty good, given the newer context of the show. Dissappointed to see they re-reused the season 33 Letter/Number of the day segments. I was hoping with the new special, they'd do different things, like counting monsters. Oh well... as we say in Boston, maybe next year!

So far, I think JTE is actually getting (and I never thought I'd say this) FUN to watch. Last eps Fractured Fairy tales-esque Nursery Rhyme land, and now the Circus. Making it a Journey to Big Bird was just brilliant. Especially Big Bird commenting on ernie to hurry up and find him.

It was great to see one of my favorite E&B skits, the one about the checkers and Bernice. Plus seeing the BB King song again was great. (if they didn't oddly rerun season 32 during parts of pledge month, I wouldn't have seen it in years. they aired the episode with the exact skit in it.

What didn't thrill me was the "B" skit about the kid on the Boat, the presence of Global Thingy, and that stupid thing about the kid dancing with the animated flowers (made by the exact same animation company that does the dancing animals garbage I always bemoan).

But global Grover was just great, especially since he kept trying to denounce slipping on the banana peals... over and over.

Yes... hearing classic songs on Elmos World made it quite a step up from the rest of them. Especially Singing in the Shower, which I totally forgotten.

The Count said:
9 Trash Gordon is something that maybe Drtooth will like, since it's a spoof of Flash Gordon.
Oscar reads Slimey from the Adventures of Trash Gordon at bedtime, where Gordon then gives us the classic SS ending.
Indeed I did! Personnally, Gordon is one of my favorite SS humans, along with Alan and Bob. The way they can ham it up as different characters and get into the spirit of the show (Last season, Gordon was the "Lovely magic Gordon guy" in Stinky's tale) and in a cheesy funny costume to boot. Best new segment ever.

If I can judge from this episode and yesterdays, I'm thinking another new segment is Snuffy and Big Bird singing. I'll have to see tommorrow's episode before I can confirm this!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait a second there Drtooth. Didn't they re-broadcast the 35th Anniversary special yesterday as the first episode of the season? If so, then at least the letter C Cookie segment is new, Mumford wasn't in it.
Still waiting for the Number segment where the Count counts up to 35, if it'll ever happen.

Oh and Phil, can I ask about new characters here in this thread?

Drtooth

Reaction score
They indeed rebroadcast the special, but there was no Count counting to 35!

I think the letter and Number segments were new, but only for a special occasion.

Perhaps tomorrow there will be one that's new.

Of course, I forgot, I have to wait till Thursday for the next episode (I have my one morning class, and it's pretty early) but I'll get to watch 2 newer ones in a row!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Count said:
Oh and Phil, can I ask about new characters here in this thread?
Why not start a "Season 35 New Characters" thread? That way you and others can comment on new specific characters that appear. Sound ok?