Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 36

alizakaila

Reaction score
on cablevision is says the episodes this week are:
4/21 Cookie Monster gets upset when he is accused of stealing cookies.
4/25 Ernie respects Bert's birthday plans for a quiet day.
4/27 Telly takes care of a lost baby duck.
4/29 While Super Grover waits for his new cape, his friends try to help him find an alternative solution.

alizakaila

Reaction score
repeated sesame street

oh and on may 4 on wnet 13 it says Big Bird reads a story he has written to his friends, but the tale has no ending. Everyone takes turns suggesting one and Big Bird composes a conclusion that combines parts from each idea. all the other days are blank. perhaps, those are new eps.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK... Like BeckyDr, was confused that my PBS affiliate decided to go back in time and show Episode 4031, the Season 34 premiere episode. Was a bit concerned, but was willing to let them sort things out on their own. But after reading AlyssaKayla's posts, I'm seriously thinking about calling up my affiliate and getting to the bottom of this.

Those aren't new episodes AlyssaKayla. The episodes you reported from your first post are the episodes from Season 34, the one about Big Bird reading a made-up story with no ending cause he can't think of one was from Season 35. So, should we call our affiliates and investigate?

alizakaila

Reaction score
what I meant was there are days when there are no episode descriptions so those may be new vs. the others that do have description and are from season 34

Drtooth

Reaction score
When I figured they were rerunning reruns, I couldn't help but say, "What the Shell?!?!!?"

But it did bring me some comfort. When they were throwing around scripts and ideas for the next Muppet movie, one concept that had promise that never made it was "The Muppets Cheapest Movie." The concept has reserfaced as "Sesame Street's Cheapest Season." :big_grin:

I mean, the reused reused footage didn't bother me so much (dispite the fact they used it at least 3 times per season before in relentless reruns) as the fact they're rerunning reruns that have been reran to death.

Now, I DO like the idea of stretching the season with prior episodes, but I just want to see the rest of the newer episodes first, before they do this. I was waiting for great stuff like "desperate houseplants" and Donald Grump. I'm glad I got to see that delightfully funny "Grouch eye for the Nice guy" segment (the highlight of the season).

Does anyone know exactly why SW or PBS is doing this, and how long will it be for the rest of the season?

>>Let me ask...what DO you guys have against Hero Guy?<<

I feel the skit has potential, but comes across very reptitive and sort of self indulgent (towards Hero guy, anyway). It has it's moments (few and far between, though), but in the end it just doesn't work. It's the same way I feel about the skit that I do not dare speak the name of, or it will return near the end of the season. I'll give you a hint, it's manic, loud, flashy and has no substance. They chase an elephant around for no apparent reason, as well. It's like listening to really fast music really loud. Almost seizure inducing, and there's no real point to it. And there's four of them....

Elmo's world I can sort of, reluctantly, live with, since kids really listen to Elmo. He's one of them. His segment is repetitive and long, but compared to Hero guy and ...errr ... the other thing with monsters in it... it's at least bareable.

(Last rant)

>>They even used the bit with Susie Kabloozie going to the judges for the Number of the Day. Never liked that particular series of animated bits with her cause it's just say the number and that's it, no originality, no nothing to associate with the segment like 8 bowling balls knocking down pins or something like that<<

I dislike that segment as well. Wasn't it used in it's initial 90's run as an intro for the number of the day? I'm a big fan of the Animator Mo Williams (The Man who yelled, Kids next Door, and Sheep in the big city, espeically) and I'm kinda disappointed they don't use more of his stuff than just the "let's see what the judge says" junk....

ssetta

Reaction score
I actually like the way they're doing this, because it really WOULD get too repetitive with only 26 shows. They can now rerun Season 34 episodes, because the format was very similar in Season 34 as it is this season. But they couldn't rerun Season 33 shows in Season 35, because the format was slightly different.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think it's a good idea, and I'm all for it. In fact, this is what I wanted them to do for some time... EXCEPT, I think it would have been better to air all the new episodes first, then midseason show reruns.

alizakaila

Reaction score
wed espisode

wednesday episode on WLIW is 4084 "Banana in the Stone"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay.... now, stretching the season by filling it with older episodes ONLY works when you actually use OLDER episodes. It's almost like they WANT people to not tune in.... :grouchy:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So... By my calculations... If they continue repeating the first ten episodes of Season 36, mixing in the episodes from Season 34 and 35 AlizaKaila reported earlier... That'd mean 4093 from Season 36, the next new episode wouldn't air till 5/10/2005? That's just wrong, and I hope it doesn't come to that.