Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 37

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Hooray! My local station changed the time of the new eps. They're now showing them at 8, instead of at 1 which is convenient for me since I'm working in the afternoons now. Still, I had an interview to go to today so I only saw the street story.

For the most part today's ep was good and kind of reminiscent of the ep where Mumford turned Maria into a little girl. I liked the afro on young Gordon. But in a way, I wonder why they didn't use Abby Cadaby to grant Big Bird's wish. The press had made a big deal about her joining the show's cast, but so far she's only appeared in two eps this season. In a way, this may not be a bad thing. We were worried about her stealing the show and getting to popular like Elmo, but so far it hasn't happened. Anyway, back to today's show. I wonder why the spell didn't affect Luis, or Miles for that matter, now that he's a high school grad, I think he can be considered an adult. Personally, I think they could have done more. I would have liked to see a young Bob or Susan or Gina. Another thing, I don't understand is how a bunch of kids just happened to show up after the fairy godperson left. At the beginning BB was upset that he couldn't find any kids to play with him. I guess during that course of time, they were just getting out of school or something. I'm assuming. I liked the "Somebody Come and Play" instrumentals at the end as well. I also thought that this plot could have been done with Elmo in Big Bird's place, but again he gets way too much screentime anyway, so choosing Big Bird was definately a better choice.

ssetta

Reaction score
CookieCountDawn said:
Was there suppose to be a new episode today? I saw episode 4046.
I noticed the same thing!! I would like to ask you, which PBS station did you watch? I watched the 10:00 airing on WGBH-2. But it might have had something to do with the new schedule. Yesterday, they DID air the proper episode for that day, so you'd think that would have been the mistake. We'll have to see what happens. And I'll try to catch it tomorrow morning at 7:30 on RIPBS.

DTWolf

Reaction score
Wishes and Kids

Well, here in Nashville the new episode (4119) did air today, so here's my review:

Yay Sesame Street!!
- for including two really funny lines in the street segment: Alan’s “a loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter” (a reference to an old Sesame Street skit about a girl going to the grocery store) and the fairy godperson’s quotation of the DragonTales wish.
- for showing us Ernestine!
- for showing us Fred the horse (I don’t know if this was a new Grover skit or not, but I sure like seeing Fred again).
- for giving us those funny book titles in the Trash Gordon segment (I’m sure this is a repeat from a previous season, but “Get Lost Moon” deserves a Yay!! regardless).

Boo Sesame Street!!
- for having a plot involving a fairy godperson without so much as a mention of Abby Cadabby.
- for a fundamentally weak street segment; apart from those two funny lines, this skit was utterly forgettable and thoroughly underdeveloped--they set up the situation, made their point, and then set things right, but it’s like it was done out of duty, not enthusiasm.
- for failing (again) to realize the potential of Sesame Street Dinner Theatre. The Count was right in that previous post about a bettter way to do “Man of La Muncha,” and now in “Guess What’s for Dinner” as well the writers fell short of what could’ve been done. If you’re going to work with “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner,” I’d much rather see “Guess What’s Coming to Dinner” involving some weird monster that shows up only at the end of the skit. The human-Muppet characters at the table would sing about the different foods they have on the table, wondering what kind of monster is coming and whether it will like this food. In the end the monster would show up and eat the table instead of the food.

SesameStreetFan

Reaction score
I must say I am rather impressed by Sesame Street lately. Theyv'e seem to be getting better with the storylines, and I was really happy the other day to see that Ask Oscar has made a comeback. That was one of my favorites as a kid, and I hope to see some more episodes with that in it to come. Mabye they could make it a regular part of the show, since they have somewhat of a routine these days, Ask Oscar could be part of that routine and have its own regular spot on the show. I loved today's episode as well, but it would have been nice if The Amazing Mumford took the place of the fairy godperson. Anyways, I appreciate the workshop for making better episodes that both adults and kids can enjoy, and I'm looking forward to the rest of Season 37.

BEAR

Reaction score
The only problem I ever really have with these episodes lately is the Trash Gordon segment at the end. I really don't like it at all. I think if they are to cut something, it should be that. It is boring and short and does not add anything interesting or funny. I'd rather they return to the classic way of saying the show's sponsors. Also, shouldn't Trash Gordon be more grouchy if he is meant to be a Grouch superhero?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You mean "grouchier" Bry? Frankly, I don't think of Trash Gordon as a "grouch" superhero, more of the parody that he's supposed to be. There have been some funny ones, particularly the one with the Upside-Downians from earlier this season. And at least we get to see Oscar at the end of each episode...

But I do understand what you're saying about having different characters say the sponsors, tieing it back to the street story if possible. Oh well, that's the way the show's evolved I guess.

BEAR

Reaction score
I dunno, Ed. I mean, you know how a lot of folks here have something about the newer format that they can't stand? Some hate Journey to Ernie, some Elmo's World, and others didn't like Hero Guy. Well, I guess mine would be Trash Gordon. It's just too dull to end an episode with.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... Can understand that. It's a bit of trial and error, but what isn't?
Like I said, will post review on this episode later.

Oh and Bry... You run out of penguins?

BEAR

Reaction score
No, Ed...there are still some going around. Just been slowed down a bit. They will be running around til tomorrow. Hey, there goes one now!

:zany:

Mistoffelees

Reaction score
Was this the same Fairy Godperson as before- Orange/Gold and performed by Joey?