Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 37

CookieCountDawn

Reaction score
ssetta said:
I noticed the same thing!! I would like to ask you, which PBS station did you watch? I watched the 10:00 airing on WGBH-2. But it might have had something to do with the new schedule. Yesterday, they DID air the proper episode for that day, so you'd think that would have been the mistake. We'll have to see what happens. And I'll try to catch it tomorrow morning at 7:30 on RIPBS.
Yeah, I watched the 10:00 airing on WGBH-2, too.

I have another channel called Boston Kids And Family TV that shows Sesame Street from yesterday, I hope they show it tomorrow.

Erine81981

Reaction score
My PBS also changed the time on me. I thought it was spoused to be at 8 and it was at 7 then at 10. I missed the whole episode. I've been missing a bunch of the new episodes. But I know I'll get to see them sometime soon. Can't wait for tomorrow's episode. Three Bears in Space.

PS: One thing I don't know is "What about Curly Bear?" Hope she's mention.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
DTWolf said:
Yay Sesame Street!!
- for including two really funny lines in the street segment: Alan’s “a loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter” (a reference to an old Sesame Street skit about a girl going to the grocery store).
Wow, I can't believe I didn't notice that. I love that sketch! I did notice something seemed odd about Gordon's shopping list.

I thought today's story was very cute. It was nice to see Big Bird just having fun playing with little Maria, Gordon, and Alan. But the best part was that the grown-ups learned a lesson too! It's something I hope the parents watching listened to. It's easy to get caught up in work and forget that your kids need attention too.

The only other good part was seeing Ernestine again, even if it was a boring sketch. But not as boring as that awful "Guess What's for Dinner?" Dinner Theater sketch. Ugh, talk about shoving a lesson down your throat. (Pun intended.) Yes, we should all try new foods. We get it.

And to top it all off, we got the Veggie Dance...Lucky us...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Again... Apologies for not posting sooner, been swamped with posts.

Episode 4119: Grownups Are Kids Again.
First of all... Both of my PBS stations must've been among the very few, if any else at all, that didn't change the airtime for Sesame. Used to get the national affiliate's airing at 8 AM and the local affiliate's at 9, but now they're both at 9 AM.

OK, so Big Bird's looking for someone to play with him... He wanders over to the Fix-It-Shop.
Have to say I'm liking how they're working it back into the street scenes. Also like that they're fixing other things besides the ubiquitous toaster.
María says she can't play with Big Bird because she has to fix a blender, which happens to be Alan's. The canary glumly reflects on his situation, then goes off to Hooper's to find Alan.

Alan's tending to Gordon's grocery list...
Alan: "OK, that's a loaf of bread... A container of milk... And a stick of butter."
Classic SS reference, made me laugh gladly.
The two then tell Big Bird they can't play with him, reasoning that Alan has the store to look after and Gordon has to get home to make lunch for himself and Miles. María comes in and tells Alan about how the blender needed a bit of oil before the scene fades out to Big Bird moping by himself.

He wishes the grownups were kids again, the Fairy Godperson voiced by Joey Mazzarino shows up and grants his wish. He then gets another wish referencing Dragon Tales.
Abby could've been used for this story, but remember she's still a fairy godchild in training, so maybe a spell of this magnitude might've been too much for her. Then again, the mix-up in effects would probably be up her alley. Either way, I'm OK with it. Also liked the Fairy Godperson's technological multifunctional wand, reminds me of the cell phone/wand/morphers from Power Rangers Mystic Force.

We now have "Young" versions of the three adults Big Bird asked to play, including a curly-haired Gordon as others have mentioned. Others have wondered why Luis and Miles weren't turned into younger versions of themselves as well. Reason why I think this is so is because Big Bird only asked María, Alan and Gordon to play with him before getting turned down. So it was those grownups specifically that the spell targeted.

The bird and the grownup/kids play a variety of games until the realization hits home... Luis tries to deal with an AM (Marty) who wants his cuckoo clock fixed, Baby Bear's craving his usual porridge, and Miles needs to find his dad. Add to this the fact that a larger crowd storms the Fix-It-Shop with their business all at the same time overwhelming Luis, his constantly saying that little girl reminds him of someone, and Big Bird's own craving for milkshakes.

So the bird wishes the grownups were grownups again, and the Fairy Godperson reverses the wish. Funny to see grownup Gordon sort of babbling about how it was his turn at the tire swing. They head back to their respective jobs, but do think about what they learned, to sometimes make time to play with their children as well. Good lesson, makes me feel back in the old days.
I'm liking how the street story just sort of fades off into the remaining segments as well.

Highlights.
1 Musical instrumental, didn't know what it was rully.
2 Letter of the Day: F, repeat where Cookie draws an F, eats the fudge cookie, then remarks how his drawing looks good enough to eat before devouring it as well.
3 Animation: F Around Town. This is from a short series where kids say different stores at town that begin with the particular letter, always liked these.
4 SS Dinner Theater: Guess What We're Having For Dinner?
Since I've never seen the original this sketch parodies, I'll defer to the rest who've commented on this already. But I do think it was underused again.
5 Ernie and Ernestine comparing how they're the same, only finding a lot of differences. Until the family laugh that is.
6 Global Grover: Sasketchewan Cowgirls, before Grover and Fred get herded themselves by a herd of cows. (repeat).
7 Number of the Day Song: 17 with the Count and Countess.
8 Elmo's World: Firefighters, repeat.
9 Trash Gordon: The Furry Furballs, new.

Lowpoints.
1 The Veggie Dance. Enough said.
2 Come On and Play!: Repeat of the One of These Things from 4118. Noticed they sometimes repeat the one from the previous episode before launching into the new one for the episode currently airing.
3 Number of the Day sketches.
They used the Susie Kabloozy "Judges" bit, rully don't like those.
They also used the bit where kids are just calling out "17!" to a sort of jazzy trumpet tune. Don't know what happens during these bits though.

All in all, an OK episode but sort of meh.
Looking forward to today's in an hour or so.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
On the comment of changing times Sesame Street used to be on twice here in Milwaukee (once at 7:00 (repeat of the previous days episode) and the new one on at 11:00) now it is only on at 7:00...anyways I missed the new episodes because of this.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
And here we are, with some time to spare...

Episode 4120: The Three Bears In Space.
The street story plays out pretty simple enough, Baby Bear's trying to write a new version of the story of the 3 Bears.
Elmo comes by and wonders what the story will be about, no it won't have Goldilocks... But upon Elmo's suggestions of liking stories with stars and planets and rocket ships, Baby Bear sets the story in Outer Space, Space, Space!
*Baby Bear's given an echo for every time he finishes the story's title or says "Outer Space!"
So the story starts off with the Three Astrobears, the Bear Family in spacesuits aboard their spaceship, traveling to outer space to find out how porridge will taste there. Papa Bear inadvertently presses a red button, triggering the porridge anti-gravity lock to be released.

Zoe comes by interrupting, hearing there was a story being told. Baby Bear's stumped until Zoe gives him some inspiration to continue. Back in the story, a flash of light and cloud of dust reveal Cowgirl Zoe and her masked horse, Horse now aboard the interstellar vessel attempting to corral the bowl. They can't bring the elusive breakfast down, so Horse says they should just press the porridge anti-gravity button again, bringing their meal back to the table.
Papa Bear: Who was that masked horse? Oh yeah, Horse!

Big Bird then comes in, hearing about the story, and giving Baby Bear the feedback needed to finish the story. Now, when we last left the Astrobears, their ship was shaking apart. Turns out a tap-dancing chicken was practicing on the ship's walls, causing it to rock under its taloned tapdancing. Astro Baby Bear walked up to the chicken, politely asking if it could stop dancing, which it did and the bears tasted the porridge.
There was a bit of a simple song for whenever the Bears were about to taste the porridge, Papa Bear asking why they traveled to outer space just to taste porridge.
Papa Bear: Let's see how moonrocks look back in our den.
The ship comes back down to Earth, and Baby Bear thanks his friends for helping write the story.

Highlights.
1 Animated Song: "Planets, Moon, and Stars".
2 Letter of the Day: I, repeat of where Cookie Monster licks the icing off of the cookie, then eating it afterwards.
3 I, Private Eye. This was a very clever mock-parody sketch. Rather liked it and how they kept adding to the simple mystery of how the letter I was the letter of the day. There was even the standard private eye/girlfriend meeting at the end of the sketch. Liked this one very much.
4 Healthy Food of the Day: Pear, sung by Kevin Clash.
5 Song: "A Cookie Is A Sometime Food" from last season.
6 Jane Tuesday, searching for an apple as a sweet crunchy perfect snack.
7 New Bert and Ernie segment... Well, sort of. Steve's Ernie was trying to get Eric's Bert to go out and play ball with him. Bert responded that he was reading a book, and then we got Eric's Bert singing his version of "In My Book", with some of the characters showing up at the end to read with the duo.
8 Global Grover: Phillipines Day at the Park, New!
Also... Were the two characters named Francisco and Juanito who showed up to take the slide back to the Phillipines monkeys? And were they the Davy and Joey Monkey puppets?
9 Number of the Day Song: 20. Good to hear the whole song in its entirety again. The only thing is that now, the number 21 is completely forgotten about as a possible Number sponsor.
10 Postage Stamp series seen all the way up to 20.
11 Elmo's World: Construction (or Building Things), New!
This was a fun one. First, Ms. Noodle was building a castle of blocks with a tower on the top. Telly kept running in and out of Elmo's World, building something secretively. The funny part was when he said "It's hammertime!" and you got the sort of rappy musical flourish. During the segment where Elmo dives into the drawer, we got Oscar playing with a jackhammer at the end.
Oscar: Breaking things? That's what I like.
Then we got to see Telly's project, a triangle he built himself, unveiled as he sort of hummed the 2001 Space Odyssey musical barb. The Bulldozer came in for a visit after Telly left, Elmo imagined he was a construction worker.
Elmo: It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
12 Trash Gordon: Planet Fairy Tale, with the Lost Sheep and Bo Peep, New!

Lowpoints.
1 You've Got a Letter, I. Didn't like this at all.
2 Come On and Play: Shape Patterns, new, Bird Patterns, repeat.
All in all, another OK episode. Could've been better or had more sketches/songs. Oh well, looking forward to tomorrow's new episode.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Others have wondered why Luis and Miles weren't turned into younger versions of themselves as well. Reason why I think this is so is because Big Bird only asked María, Alan and Gordon to play with him before getting turned down.
That's a good explanation. Poor Luis might have felt left out that Big Bird didn't ask him. Of course he would have been too busy as well, but still it's nice to be asked. Besides the plot line wouldn't have worked too well if they didn't have any adults left, so it worked out really well the way it was.

New Bert and Ernie segment... Well, sort of. Steve's Ernie was trying to get Eric's Bert to go out and play ball with him. Bert responded that he was reading a book, and then we got Eric's Bert singing his version of "In My Book", with some of the characters showing up at the end to read with the duo.
Yeah. It's not that new, because it was played last year. It sounded to me like it was Frank's Bert though. I may have to listen to that again though.

As for the masked horse in today's ep, was that supposed to be Fred? I don't think the voice was the same, but that's probably because Jerry is semi-retired. Any thoughts on this.

Erine81981

Reaction score
The horse character is Buster. As in Forgetful Jones's horse. So that wasn't Fred the wonder horse. Yes Ed. The two monkey were Joey and Davy. They had the same voices but different names. I was so hoping that they wouldn't had used different names. But I enjoyed the story. I thought it was pretty funny to hear Big Bird say "Hey there kids" being that he's a kid himself. But I thought it made it neat because it's like Big Bird being the grown up for the day.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Since you asked... Regarding Horse, Cowgirl Zoe's Masked Horse...

Regarding visuals, I rully can't answer (you guys know why), all I can say is wait until my sources reply/help out in the Season 37 Character Questions thread.
However, I don't think it was Buster either. Both Buster and Fred are voiced by Jerry Nelson. Fred has more of an upbeat voice, while Buster has more of a rural countrified voice.
The masked horse sounded like a countrified version of Marty Robinson to me. Marty had a wealth of characters in Episode 4120: Horse, Telly in Elmo's World, The Bulldozer from Elmo's World. Not to mention all the other characters he's been given in the more recent episodes these past two weeks.

Hope this helps.

SesameStreetFan

Reaction score
Today during Elmo's world, when I saw it was about building, I was really hoping for a cameo appearance by Biff and Sully. It would have been the perfect time to slip those 2 classic charachters in.