Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 39

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is the "trying to give a character overexposure" moving over to Murray Monster instead of Abby Cadabby?
Peronally, I think that Joey wanted a regular character. Hopefully we'll see more of Murray and less of that annoying whiney voiced Elephant. Come on Joe, come up with a better voice for him...

SSLFan

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is the "trying to give a character overexposure" moving over to Murray Monster instead of Abby Cadabby?
I'm sure Marray won't be overexposed. And I don't think Abby was overexposed personally.

That's the puppet they've been using since 2003.
Yeah, I really hate that Elmo puppet. I liked the one from the early 90's.

Don't worry, you''l get used to it. I had to get used to Zoey 101 being in widescreen.lol.
Peronally, I think that Joey wanted a regular character. Hopefully we'll see more of Murray and less of that annoying whiney voiced Elephant. Come on Joe, come up with a better voice for him...
Yeah, I like Murray. He seems very cute and is voice makes him sound so innocent. And I agree, they need to get rid of that dang annyoing elephant. But anyways, Yaaay Murray!

I, personally, liked the widescreen look. It made the show look much cooler. I liked it a whole lot. :smirk:
I second that!:stick_out_tongue:

But, today was a good season premire. I just hope we can see more of Abby, Big Bird and the gang tomorrow!

*crosses fingers*

ISNorden

Reaction score
Episode 4161: ISNorden's review

The good points:

• Most of the show was brand-new material (I recognized only three older segments, and those were pretty short).
  • In particular, I'm glad to see new "thing-of-the-day" announcements that didn't involve the usual characters. When was the last time an episode taught letters without Cookie and Prairie Dawn, or numbers without the Count? (Heck, it's been years since we saw a human like Gordon introduce the sponsors--or saw him announce them as himself, not Trash Gordon, at the end. Some writer at Sesame Workshop must still think old-school methods work best...)
  • The main street story could have fit right into an older episode--or at least, one as old as the first Indy Jones movie. It combined verbal in-jokes (like the snake's "why did it have to be a monster") with visual gags (the boulder and bottle traps) very skillfully; here's hoping the other street scenes work that well!
  • Elmo was confined to the Elmo's World segment--and even then, he interacted with more characters from the main show. It's good to see him act like one of the gang and not demand center stage, even when he has the title role.
  • Sesame Workshop's new logo is more viewer-friendly; the "house/lightning/stars" graphic means less to casual fans, than Muppet graphics from Sesame Street itself.
The bad points:

• Do we really need another celebrity to parody his/her own music on the show? It may cost the Workshop less and give the celebrity good PR, but how many three-year-olds know or care who Feist is? (When older kids still watched Sesame Street, that might have gone differently; but I doubt anyone except the parents reacts that strongly to a star appearance now.)
  • It's good to see the spotlight on a minor character once in a while, but this episode showed Murray much too often. Between the Word on the Street intro, the letter of the day, and the new segment with Ovejita...Murray might well become the next overexposed Sesame Street Muppet.
  • Speaking of "Murray Has a Little Lamb", the basic idea (guessing what foreign words mean from context) is good. The segment itself could have been shorter, though, and relied less on odd sight gags. (A hot-dog vendor serving a karate-school green belt...what the [bleep]? ! ?)
  • Finally, "Bert and Ernie's Great Adventure" could have used better animation. I liked the story, especially Ernie's attempts to drive Bert around and rescue him from the fall. The dialogue and the characters' lip movements were out of sync, though: I got the impression of watching a badly dubbed foreign movie. :frown:
Overall: Hit and miss compared to Season 38's premiere, although the "hit" moments outweigh the "misses". I'd give this episode a 6.5 on a 1-10 scale.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
  • Finally, "Bert and Ernie's Great Adventure" could have used better animation. I liked the story, especially Ernie's attempts to drive Bert around and rescue him from the fall. The dialogue and the characters' lip movements were out of sync, though: I got the impression of watching a badly dubbed foreign movie. :frown:
Yeah, I noticed that too. The one I saw on YouTube had much better lip movement.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I caught it just before I went off to work today and I must say I was surprised to see Murray in the Street story. :smile:

All together however I must say this may be the start of an exciting season to Sesame Street, and that close to it's 40th anniversary too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
[*]Speaking of "Murray Has a Little Lamb", the basic idea (guessing what foreign words mean from context) is good. The segment itself could have been shorter, though, and relied less on odd sight gags. (A hot-dog vendor serving a karate-school green belt...what the [bleep]? ! ?)

I think that the promotional version they used on Youtube (a lot shorter) would have worked just as well. I can't so much say its too long, but the rest of the show is too short. AS I stated, we got a 50 minute (give or take show)... a good portion of the opening an closing sponsers are to attribute to that. not to mention the closing credits (while only a minute or 2 in length) used to be on every fifth episode. We have about 15 minutes for the opening scene, 15 minutes of Elmo's world... a Half Hour right there... the Murray and Ernie and Bert thing are about 5 minutes each- 10 minutes... we have about 10 minutes left for filler. 2 minutes of which is the "closing Sponsers" bit... less than 4 minutes for the letter and number segments.

Do we really need another celebrity to parody his/her own music on the show? It may cost the Workshop less and give the celebrity good PR, but how many three-year-olds know or care who Feist is? (When older kids still watched Sesame Street, that might have gone differently; but I doubt anyone except the parents reacts that strongly to a star appearance now.)
Apparently so... but I'd rather have them cover older songs, or (shock) do original stuff made for Sesame Street. Nothing wrong with Celebs on the street, but these parodies are self serving, and hardly in the league of "Like the way U does" or "Furry happy Monsters" (which has better lyrics than the original.

Oswald Monster

Reaction score
My first post!

I was very excited about many of the things in this episode!

First of all, I actually got to see two days of filming for "Murray has a little lamb" which was awesome! :smile: Carmen Osbahr plays Ovejita and she is so incredibly nice. So is Noel MacNeal, who is Murray's right arm.

The only thing that really worried me about the upcoming season is the animated Bert and Ernie segment. I have to admit, it was adorable, but I hope this doesn't mean that the actual B & E puppets get the boot. (I know they apeared on Elmo's World, but I always get to bored to pay attention to Elmo's World anyway- its the same every time!)

All in all...Yay Sesame Street! Congrats on making it to a 39th season!

Oswald Monster