Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 39

BeckyDR

Reaction score
hey, that kind of talk is not appropriate for a children's program bbs :-P (lol jk)

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Here are my thought's of today's episode:

The Goods:
-The street was hilarious! NPH was excellt as the shoe fairy! His song was nice, his annoyance with Telly and parts after he gives Telly shoes where he sets them up for a congrat, but gets nothing, and is upset when they're delayed
-The new Word of the Day with Grover was just what the doctor ordered. Much better than the ones last year
-I like having the Letter/Numbe rof the day connect somehow to the stroy line
-Seymour the Snail and "Exploring in Your Closet" were nice to see agian.
-That Twiddlebug skit from last year is still funny
-There was a lot more in today's show than yesterday's
-Joe Raposo's "Bein a Pig", not the original, but a 2002 remake. It was nice that they kep in Joe's voice track
-Dispite it being obvious which segments are new and old, I like seeing more segments from the early 90's, looks like they're not so much worried about the widescreen/full screen difference.

The Bads:
-Murray and his Lamb is still too long, though I liked the button on the tree that had a cow land on Murray
-That nightclub shoe thing was weird

Very nice episode, not much to complain about.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Unknown Segment with Game Show type music.
The unknown segment you're referring to is actually a stop motion cut out piece about clothes sepperating into piles based on different categories (the shoes go into one pile, then they go into the pile of matching colors... etc). I believe I saw it a year or so back.

Anyway, Great episode

The Good-
Neil Patrick Harris (and yes, I know he was Doogie as well) was electric. He really seemed in the zone, and he didn't kiddy up his performance. I wouldn't be surprised if most of his dialogue was ad-libbed. Great opening segment between Abby, Chris, Neil, and Telly. And I loved the message that not everybody needs to do everything the same, and it's okay to have different ways of doing stuff.

I really liked that "Mr. Feet" poem. The style of it really had a neo-beatnik style that really seemed funky, especially on a kid's show.

The Word of the Day segments featuring Muppet assistants? This is what I was talking about last year. And with Grover too...

More time for clasic segments, as well as some new ones... and the new ones are actually good. I loved the thing about the Snail. Who animated that? I( wanna say Mo Willems, but I doubt that.

The Bad- I can't really see anything terrible.

The aforementioned categorization cartoon was pretty lame... I never liked that studio's stuff.

Other- I love the Murray segment, but I think I see the problem with it. The guessing game at the beginning is unneccissary and it makes the segment longer than it needs to be. I did love the cow falling on Murray, though. A possible Monty Python (or less possibly and Earthworm Jim) reference.

And I like the idea of having the human cast members intro the numbers and letters of the day, but they really need muppet assistants here.

Oswald Monster

Reaction score
Episode- Telly's New Shoes

The humans are back! After seeing only Gordon, Chris and Leela yesterday I was afraid some of the older human characters were leaving. But we got to see them all (i think) once more in the number about shoes in the street scene. Today's episode was better, in my opinion. Today we saw Abby and the Count for the first time, and I believe Grover too, unless he was on yesterday and I dont remember. Still no Big Bird, Cookie Monster, or Oscar which is a little sad, because whats Sesame without those guys? Hopefully they'll appear in the episodes to come. BTW, I know we've only had two episodes so far, but it seems Telly has gotten a lot of time, seeing as both street scenes have been about him. I love Telly, but I'm itchin' to see some other characters on the street!

My favorite part of the episode:
I don't know why, but at the very beginning theres a muppet deciding if he wants the soup or the salad. I thought it was funny! Very sesame-like way to start an episode.

tutter_fan

Reaction score
My season 39 review (so far)

Boy, It was great seeing Sesame Street in a WHOLE new way. The Letter of the day segments are very cool, and so are the number segments (I just can't wait to see the spinoff of "are you smarter than a 5th grader!) the "Murry had a little lamb" segments are awesome (I loved the first one! HILARIOUS!) I can't wait to see "30 rock"! All in all, it's great! This season is going to be a hilarious one, I can already tell (but that's just my opinion, and my 2 cents!)

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Hi. I thought I'd comment on today's ep. (I didn't see yesterday's.) I guess it was a fair ep overall. It's interesting to see Gabi doing the letter & number of the day, but it might be a good idea to see her paired up with a Muppet. For example, maybe she could take Prarie's place and try to stop Cookie Monster from eating the letter of the day. Just something I was thinking about. I also had this thought because it was interesting to see Grover with those ballet dancers when they demonstrated 'piroutte' or whatever that word was. Kind of a big word for young kids who watch "Sesame Street" though. Besides, if the ep was about ballet, where was Zoe? That's sort of her trademark. I realize that she had a voice-over in that segment about ballet dancers, but it still would have been nice if she appeared somewhere. I was hoping she'd show up when Telly was wearing those dance shoes. About the "Murray Had a Little Lamb" segment, I think it was okay would have been better if it didn't drag on for so long. I think once they found the farm school. They should have skipped Murray talking to kids and skipped to the animated segment. (I sort of wish they would have used the original version of 'Bein' a Pig' there. I really liked that one.) I liked the bit with the Count and Samara though. I was wondering if she was still going to show up. I thought the CGI Twiddlebugs scene was good. Though it has crossed my mind that maybe they were using one of Bert's paper clips. After all, they do live outside Bert and Ernie's window so that's something to think about. :confused:

wiley207

Reaction score
I just realized something. Today's intro shot for "The Word on the Street" (different from yesterday's intro) showed what might possibly be the first appearance of a modern crosswalk signal without words (the orange hand and white body) on Sesame Street! Hopefully they'll talk about this soon, since they have a lot of outdated skits talking about the signs WITH the words.

With that out of the way, I can review more of the episode...

Looks like Abby Cadabby finally appeared on the show! I guess in terms of popularity she's mainly not as popular as Elmo but as popular as Grover, Cookie Monster and Big Bird. Also, it seems Telly is going to be heavily featured in this season, as if he were Elmo! And I'm glad they are toning down on adding all those cartoony sound effects in the street scenes (mainly the old Warner Bros. and Hanna-Barbera sound FX). I'm also glad to see Gina and Luis still around. However, it seems these days, Maria is featured more than Luis is. I also admit the Shoe Fairy having some sort of grudge against the Tooth Fairy was funny.

Good to see Grover back in action, too. And I believe that animated segment with Seymour the Snail was done by Mo Willems, since the animation looked similar to "The Off-Beats" and "Sheep in the Big City" (Mo Willems is one of my favorite cartoonists!)

I LOVED that animal department store segment about the elevator as a kid! Good to see this skit still being used, since I love seeing the skits I saw as a kid on current SS.

Also, our old friend Count vol Count is back too. And it sounded like Jerry Nelson reprised the role! I believe this is the second Muppet and Kid moment to feature the Count (the first one they did was way back in 1972!)

I'm still wondering who voiced the CGI Twiddlebugs. The voices sound VERY familiar, probably done by Muppeteers. I heard one source say Jerry Nelson voiced Thomas Twiddlebug. I think I could recognize Joey Mazzarino as Tommy Twiddlebug.

I also forgot to say that I LOVE the retro animation style for the cartoons Elmo watches in "Elmo's World." Reminds me of UPA or Hanna-Barbera.

It seemed outside of "Elmo's World," Elmo wasn't featured anywhere else in this episode! That is how I llike to see it.

Not a bad episode, but not as good as the season premiere.

zns

Reaction score
I really think that this is going to be a great year for Sesame Street. And I have no doubt that the classic characters will still be used more and more. In fact. on earlier this year on April 10th, I went to see a few inserts being taped at the studio and one of them was with :wisdom: and :batty:. In that sequence, Big Bird is in his nest and walks over to his mailbox to find out what the letter of the day is which then floats onto the top right corner of the screen when he announces what it is. Then the Count (still voiced by Jerry Nelson) comes over and pulls out a little ball from the mailbox which reveals the number of the day andhe replies "Ah, ah ,ah, I love to get mail." So we should be seeing stuff like that at some point.