Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 40

somethingofafan

Reaction score
Yeah. I saw that ep yesterday. I thought it was good especially Forgetful's appearance. Still not sure if that was footage taken from the year of Maria and Luis's wedding or if that was new and they just had make up or whatever to make them look younger.
I'm pretty sure that was new footage; their skin looks more like it does now than like it did then. Good job on the hair, though.

scarletjul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Daffyfan2003
Yeah. I saw that ep yesterday. I thought it was good especially Forgetful's appearance. Still not sure if that was footage taken from the year of Maria and Luis's wedding or if that was new and they just had make up or whatever to make them look younger.
I'm pretty sure that was new footage; their skin looks more like it does now than like it did then. Good job on the hair, though.
I'm pretty sure it was new footage as well but, after watching some 80's clips of Maria and Luis, I think they got the hairstyles down. :smile:

i thought the cookie tree episode was adorable. I was impressed to see Cookie Monster play such a big part in the story/episode. I felt so bad for him when he got his cookie tree and then Alan asked Abby to make them disappear. Poor Cookie ; so close and yet so far.

I am absolutely loving these gems. It was awesome seeing Forgetful. :insatiable:

I finally watched most of an episode of FFS and Ernie and Bert's Great Adventures. I liked the Bert and Ernie short, possibly because I'm an Indy fan as well. :big_grin: I still got bored by FFS, though. I just don't like the CGI in that segment, I think.

I've watched almost every episode this season and, while I have gotten used to it, I still don't like the block format. It still feels disjointed to me and I'll scan through when I get bored (which, to be fair, I wasn't able to do when I was a kid in the 80's and early 90's.) I'd much rather see more skits in an episode, new or old, rather than so many long segments and Murray fillers.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I was kind of thinking it was new. Luis looked more like he had his 70s hairstyle rather than how he looked in the 80s. On a different note, it's too bad Forgeful didn't say anything there. But like someone mentioned on the 'hidden gems' thread, they probably couldn't find anyone who could do his voice.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Either Muppet wiki is wrong, or my local station screwed up the schedule... they're rerunning the Jimmy Fallon Nature Man episode again.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh, that doesn't surprise me. Last year, two of the Abby-centric episodes got pushed back out of numeric sequencial airing order, and the airdates never reflected matching up with what I posted as to those episodes' dates in the Season 39 Thoughts thread.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Today's episode may have been a rerun, but it's a rerun of an episode I missed while I was sick, and too dizzy to even turn on the TV.

Elmo upset that it's spring and not snowing because he found his sled just as Winter ended. That must be one messy closet. I call shenanigans though... no snow in Spring? Dude, 1997... freak 2 foot blizzard April first. I heard it can even snow around here in May (but thank frog it hasn't happened since). Elmo... move to New England. You never know WHAT it's gonna do up here. And it's a LOT more frantic than anything Abby can do. Aside from that, it's a good thing I watched this episode out of order (not by choice)... I noted a MAJOR league inconsistency. Baby Bear all the sudden collapsing and hibernating in "Winter?" Uh... didn't you just say that you never hibernated before in an entire episode about how you've never hibernated before?

But the true star of the show was Mr. Johnson. And I know there's going to be debate about if he's truly a hidden gem or not... On the one hand, he is a classic character appearing in a street story... but on the other hand, Mr. Johnson usually makes at least one appearance a season. The Russian Restaurant sketch, Extreme Home Makeover... So, I'm going to say yes and no on that. And yes and no cancel each other out so...uh.. does that mean he really wasn't on the episode? Uh.. well, seems he's still his grouchy, impatient self... but he seems to be a lot more forgiving since he doesn't have Grover as a waiter for a change. And outside factors ruined his meal, so it wasn't even Chris's fault.

Oh, and LOVED Elmo doing the Gary Coleman bit "Whachoo talkin' 'bout, Chris?" Not to mention the great interplay between Telly and Baby Bear. The episode wouldn't have been as fun without them. And I loved the sound-a-like Monday night Football underscored when Telly says he loves Football.

And, uh... I'm skipping the rest of the episode, since I saw the Abby, the Fiest, and most of the rest... and can easily see the Abby, Rosita, Zoe song later.

Oh, and I HATE HATE HATE that ugly stop motion segment about the little girl who draws everything she saw in a park. Thanks Muppet Wiki, for making me miss the eye gouging ugliness of that segment.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Caught up with another one I missed because I was too sick to watch it... Y Quest. I'm glad I'm getting caught up with the 2 I missed before hand, but you gotta admit, PBS is being extremely stingy with these episodes. Not a single new episode has ran this week. And I don't know about you, but I REALLY don't like that we have to wait until February to see them all.

Really liked that line Elmo had... "The letter Y is the Letter Y and the letter Y wants to know why the letter Y is the Letter Y!" (or something like that).... that must have taken so many takes to get right.

Telly basically saves this episode from being pretty boring. We sure had a lot of Elmo episodes since the second week of this season.

Basically, I watched this for the Marshal Grover bit. Pretty short, but it's been so long since we had a Frank Oz/Jerry Nelson Marshal Grover. When was the last Marshal Grover, anyway? Did the Global Grover sketch where he went to Saskatchewan count?

And... uh... what was the deal with that thing about counting laundry?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Today's episode may have been a rerun, but it's a rerun of an episode I missed while I was sick, and too dizzy to even turn on the TV.

Elmo upset that it's spring and not snowing because he found his sled just as Winter ended. That must be one messy closet. I call shenanigans though... no snow in Spring? Dude, 1997... freak 2 foot blizzard April first. I heard it can even snow around here in May (but thank frog it hasn't happened since). Elmo... move to New England. You never know WHAT it's gonna do up here. And it's a LOT more frantic than anything Abby can do. Aside from that, it's a good thing I watched this episode out of order (not by choice)... I noted a MAJOR league inconsistency. Baby Bear all the sudden collapsing and hibernating in "Winter?" Uh... didn't you just say that you never hibernated before in an entire episode about how you've never hibernated before?

But the true star of the show was Mr. Johnson. And I know there's going to be debate about if he's truly a hidden gem or not... On the one hand, he is a classic character appearing in a street story... but on the other hand, Mr. Johnson usually makes at least one appearance a season. The Russian Restaurant sketch, Extreme Home Makeover... So, I'm going to say yes and no on that. And yes and no cancel each other out so...uh.. does that mean he really wasn't on the episode? Uh.. well, seems he's still his grouchy, impatient self... but he seems to be a lot more forgiving since he doesn't have Grover as a waiter for a change. And outside factors ruined his meal, so it wasn't even Chris's fault.

Oh, and LOVED Elmo doing the Gary Coleman bit "Whachoo talkin' 'bout, Chris?" Not to mention the great interplay between Telly and Baby Bear. The episode wouldn't have been as fun without them. And I loved the sound-a-like Monday night Football underscored when Telly says he loves Football.

And, uh... I'm skipping the rest of the episode, since I saw the Abby, the Fiest, and most of the rest... and can easily see the Abby, Rosita, Zoe song later.

Oh, and I HATE HATE HATE that ugly stop motion segment about the little girl who draws everything she saw in a park. Thanks Muppet Wiki, for making me miss the eye gouging ugliness of that segment.

Yeah. I saw the end of the street scene in that one. I did get a chuckle out of 'Whatchu talking about.' I did see Fat Blue's appearance. It's about time he went to eat at a place where Grover doesn't work. Did Grover appear at all there or was he even referenced? I might want to check it out again whenever my station replays that one.

I have to say that Telly has a bad memory if Chris had to remind him about why Baby Bear hibernates, since they did a whole episode about that recently. Besides what happened to him staying awake and living on Bran Flakes? That was weird. I also saw 'Wild Nature Survivor Guy,' but I might comment on that one later on. It seems like this month my local station is airing eps from last season, probably because of pledge drive month. I'm not sure how many more new ones I'll get to see any time soon.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay... Is anyone else starting to get visions of the new Zoe puppet on Tabloid magazines with the caption : " Sesame Street Star's Struggle with Anorexia! She's only 10 pounds!" I REALLY hate that puppet, especially when she's used along side Abby and Rosita. She's supposed to be as big as them... she looks smaller than Rizzo now. Yuck.

Great street story, but more reruns than you can shake a stick at. Oscar has the biggest role he had so far, since the Grouch messing Machine he basically played second to Elmo and Luis. However, I saw NO hidden gems. I swear that there could have been something on the paper Gordon was reading, but he held it in a certain way, so there was no way for you to see it (folded over). Liked how Oscar called a grouch version of Mary Mary to try to counteract the other with mixed results.

Really... I don't mind that they have to put Abby on every episode, nor do I mind that they have to rerun it... but after waiting a week for new episodes, it would have been nice to see a new Abby today. Really... I thought they made 26 of these.

And I don't think Ernie and Bert's Great adventures alternates that much with Murray... I haven't seen one for a couple episodes. We had one of the better newer Ernie and Bert segments... and I'm glad they haven't been replaced by their clay counterparts... but if we're going to use newer E&B segments (most of which aren't all that impressive) I'd RATHEr see the claymation versions.

I have to say that Telly has a bad memory if Chris had to remind him about why Baby Bear hibernates, since they did a whole episode about that recently. Besides what happened to him staying awake and living on Bran Flakes?
I see what you're saying.,.. but the idea of the episode was that the Bear Family never hibernated before, and they only were trying because of the porridge shortage. To then turn around and say he did it all along... not only in the same season, but within episodes of each other makes a very obvious contradictory statement. Even kids would know, since they put them so close together. Shows wind up doing things out of continuity and contradict themselves all the time, but at least they wait a season to do so. it's not a major thing by any means, but I just felt that was an annoying, easily avoidable glitch.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Todays episode was great. It reminded me of the older stuff from the 90's seasons. Oscar being intemiaded by a fairy tale character is good stuff. Getting to see another grouch (knew it had to happen) and with her being a play off of Mary Mary. And that Mother Goose was pretty funny too.

Gordon was great to see. I felt that Bob should have at least said hi to Gordon but he only said hi to Oscar. It was cool tho to hear Oscar calling Bob "Blue Eyes." That right there is like a hidden gem but knowing it wasn't.

The segments were ok but seeing the same old "Abby's Flying Fairy School" is getting on my nerves. I thought the samething that they had made 26 skits of that but maybe they didn't. Oh well. I wished there were more songs through out the show but what can i say.

I give this episode a 3 out of 5. Good but still could have been better.