1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Special "The Cookie Thief" airs February 16, 2015

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Luke kun

Luke kun Well-Known Member

Ehhh, it was okay, I guess. So did the skits end it?

2. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

Stephanie confirmed it on her official website!! Zoe, we still don't know.

http://www.stephaniedabruzzo.com/stephaniedabruzzo.com/whats_old.html

3. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

This special was fantastic! Like Frederic said, it was kinda like a Sesame version of MMW. The songs were great, the bits with Grover were funny, Prairie was funny. "I think I should retire" was definitely Fran saying goodbye to us. The WOTD bit was pretty good. I've already seen the B&EGA on a DVD so it wasn't new to me. Of course, I hated having the typical intro and closing credits, but hopefully that will change for the DVD. Overall, I loved it.

4. WalterLinz

WalterLinz Well-Known Member

This was such a cute special!! It totally reminded me of Don't Eat the Pictures with Cookie wanting to eat the cookie art. There were so many scenes I enjoyed: the musical numbers, the Grover skits/the paintings, etc...

I loved Prairie's role here, she's perfect as a tour guide. Rachel Dratch really stole the show here, And Terry Crews was so funny as always in his Word of the Day segment. It's cute that the segments after the special are all art-related.

I gotta admit, I'd love to watch this special again.:)

I know, right??!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    cahuenga likes this.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

You know, if it's one thing that annoyed the heck out of me, and this is ALL on PBS, it's those stupid in show promos of the show we're watching right now! And the timing of them popping up was abysmal. At one point, they had a Cookie Monster the same exact size as the one onscreen dancing around, leading to an awkward moment of 2 Cookies on Screen with no distinction that it was a promo until 30 seconds later when "You are Watching The Cookie Thief" finally popped up.

Really, PBS?

6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

The main thing that got me wondering about the uselessness was the fact that the guard just stopped guarding the first painting that got stolen to go on a cookie break, without getting someone else to guard it.

7. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

There's a great complimentary article up on toughpigs about the various paintings seen in the MOMC during the special. It's especially informative for visually challenged viewers like myself. Although... I think they got a bit lazy with the spoof painter's names, just inserting the word "Cookie" wherever they could. C'mon guys, you're much cleverer than that. Do I have to go on a Tim Kazurinsky rant about the death of NY Times headlines here? *Wonders if anyone will get that reference.

Instead of Salvador Cookie Dali, why not Samoa-dor Dali.
    Rather than Cookie Matisse, you could have gone with Henri Chocolate Chip Maltisse.
    Forget Johannes Cookie Vermeer when you can go with Johannes Vanilla-Shmeer.
    Rebrand Emmanuel Cookie Loots as Emmanuel Fig-Newtons.
    Cookie Warhole? What about Andy Smoreshole?

Couple of missed opportunities.

8. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

Wow I agree. Yes a better intro would have been better, and maybe instead of the same old "primary colors" song taht is already featured several times on the show, we could have an actual scene of GETTING to the museum. You know like how in Peter and the Wolf we see Baby Bear going with Papa Bear to the orchestra. I also really wish Big Bird and Oscar could have been in it somewhere. Maybe a cameo or instead of random Anything Muppets in the end.

9. WalterLinz

WalterLinz Well-Known Member

I know!! I got sort of freaked out when the ad first popped up because of the fact that there were two Cookie Monsters XD.

That ToughPigs article is super funny (I'm such an art nerd;)), and...

...oh my gosh!!!
    [​IMG]

sesamemuppetfan likes this.
  10. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I know right? That really threw me off the first time it happened, especially considering they have Cookie Monster pop in first, then he was followed by the promo. . . . and if you think it threw us adults off, imagine how confused the little kids watching may have been when it's like, "Why is there suddenly two Cookie Monsters?"

But I honestly am surprised how . . . "commercial" PBS has gone recently. Not commercial in the literal sense, but the on-screen promos during show? Station ID bugs (which my PBS used to never do)? Full programming or station bumpers and promos between the end of a show and the credits? And I see in some cases, they're shrinking the credits for more promos, just like network and cable do.

IS THIS WHAT YOU WANTED, MEATHEAD ROMNEY?!
    Heh. When I saw that in the background, I thought how cool that was to give Walter something of a little shout-out nod.

WalterLinz likes this.
  11. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

I liked it, it may not have been the best Sesame Street special, but I liked it a lot. It's funny that usually when Prairie's around, Cookie Monster always eats something that she's wearing. "Maybe it's time for me to retire", a befitting line now that Fran is retired. Rachael Dratch was funny as the guard and the constant dramatic music annoying Chris, that was funny, too! I fully expected The Count showing up in the second story about Vincent Van Dough, but Grover appearing again was just as good.

Dominicboo1 and WalterLinz like this.
  12. Drtooth

You're right. Even a bug promoting another show would be unacceptable. They had smaller, non-intrusive ones that promoted the PBS website games on Cyberchase, but it was well into the live action segment then and it was like, who cares? But why the heck would you put a promo saying what show you're watching during the show you're watching? I've honestly never seen them do that before! The tiny Cookie Monster dancing around in the middle of the screen, too? Just the timing and space of the pop up were confusing, distracting, and unnecessary.

As for the ads for other shows before the commercials. I don't know what to make of that, since they just appear to be attached to the show to grab attention. But what kid is going to stick around for the credits unless they're really into credits and fundings? Doesn't work inbetween shows, won't work during the show breaks. Though, I'd say there is logic to that if it's being watched on demand.

13. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

That's quite interesting since I know she voiced Velma in that Scooby-Doo puppet adventure DVD (Jinkies! What happened to Mindy Cohn there?) and her Velma voice did sound a bit like Prairie, so I think she'd do a good Prairie and maybe she'll do Zoe as well. I'll check out that site.

14. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

For those who missed it or if you would like to see it again, "The Cookie Thief" will re-air on PBS today (Wednesday) and also this Friday in Sesame Street's regular time slot.

15. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I didn't even notice that picture until my DVR recorded the widescreen version of the special today. Nice to kinda see Walter on Sesame Street.

WalterLinz likes this.
  16. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Ah yes, the famed Melancookie painted by Edvard Munch.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the museum's displaying Leonardo DaCrunchy's Vitruvian Ginger Bread Man. Aren't they concerned someone might study that painting and finally decode its secret purpose as a doomsday weapon? :zany:

WalterLinz likes this.
  17. Drtooth

I'm disappointed the collection didn't include "Fig Newton descending a Staircase" by Marcel DuChomp

18. VonCount

VonCount Member

My husband and I really enjoyed this special, and our two year old actually paid more attention than I would have thought. I really want a beret like prairie dawn's, I guess I'll have to make one!

Phillip likes this.
  19. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

I just re-watched the special today. In regards to the music cue that was played every time the Cookie Thief was mentioned...it happened 11 times! (Yes, I actually kept track of how many times the music cue was played!)

theSHE124, WalterLinz and Dominicboo1 like this.
  20. theSHE124

theSHE124 Active Member

GOT 2 SEE IT! Being an artist (let alone, a cookie eater!), this was something I havta see. Here's my list of funny quotes that made my day:

The Guard (Rachel): Uh, he's a Cookie Monster--it's a cookie painting--must I draw a picture?!

:super: Well what you'd expect? This is Belgium: waffles are everywhere!

:insatiable: [Licking himself] Mmmm--it is butter! Want some?
    :laugh: Elmo's fine!

Prairie Dawn: Awww--it's time I retire!

For a first special in a long time, it's nice of SW to make Fran's last performance memorable, mainly, being the one who tries to control the Cookie Monster w/o much success! I'm glad that have a special that promotes 'doing your own art': loved that phrase as a kid, and it's still gonna be worth it for the Henson Wing at the Center ahead...

Also, my small cousin Jossie has a round-penguin plushie she calls "Pengui". I can imagine the fun we'll have next we meet...Oh no! The Penguin Patrol! Now we're in trouble!...

WalterLinz likes this.