Sesame Street Special "The Cookie Thief"

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
So you're saying that there are some that we may not have seen? That's interesting. It would be nice if they'd bring that segment back. Though if Billy is the primary performer of Ernie now, they may be staying away from segments that use Steve's Ernie. But I don't know since we don't know that for sure. Plus it probably would be possible since we still hear Kevin as Elmo in ETM. Just something to think about.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Good special, I certainly enjoyed it through and through.

I really like how Cookie Monster has been getting a lot of focus these last few years, he really deserve it, and it certainly continues to boost the Cookie kick I've been on for years now. And I mentioned some time back that I'm glad Grover has floppy fingers again, haven't I?

I was thrown off at first that the special started out being treated as just another typical episode of SST - in fact, I was beginning to wonder if maybe my PBS was airing a typical episode instead.

One thing I really appreciated was the running gags, which were definitely throwbacks to classic gags SST has used before, particularly the music cue unsettling Chris, Cookie, and Elmo whenever someone mentions catching the cookie thief.

The Cookie and Prairie moments also had that nice throwback feel to them as well (am I imagining things, or did Prairie seem like she was a hot neon pink?) I'm reminded of an old issue of SST Magazine I have in storage somewhere that had Prairie as a curator of an art museum. Also, I couldn't help but feel that Prairie saying, "Maybe it's time for me to retire," was Fran's way of giving us loyal fans a nod for her final performance . . . and I also have a feeling that was intentional too. I'm happy to learn Stephanie's going to step up to the plate, I felt she was the logical choice all along.

I loved the Cookie Patrol. Their repetitive number when they try to catch the cookie thief, as well as the cheesy cartoonish chase sequences were fun to watch. Rachel Dratch as the museum guard seemed a tad inconsistent - at times, she seemed really flat, as if she really didn't want to be there, but other times, she had more enthusiam, moreso as the special progressed. I also like this exchange:

RACHEL: I guess I owe somebody an apology.
Awkward silence.
CHRIS: Well?
RACHEL: Well what?
CHRIS: What about the apology?
RACHEL: Oh yeah. (To penguin) I'm sorry, Ethan. You were right, Cookie Monster wasn't the cookie thief all along.

Speaking of numbers, the songs were all really enjoyable as well, I just can't really decide which one I liked best.

My only minor quibble is I think it would have been nice if the story filled in the full hour, but it's not that big a deal.

So... yeah, I liked the special.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
My only minor quibble is I think it would have been nice if the story filled in the full hour, but it's not that big a deal.
I feel it would have been better if the segments were put in the middle, sort of like an "intermission" from the story.

I wonder if the guards here would qualify as "Police are Useless".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, now that you mention it, I agree with that. Many past SST specials have done similar formats like that, so yeah, if they couldn't have filled the entire hour, intermezzo segments and inserts may have worked a bit better.

I don't think so. They weren't useless, they were trying to do their job - they just, unfortunately, believed Cookie Monster was the cookie thief, but that was justifiable: Cookie was having trouble controling himself, particularly wanting to get a closer look at the Muncha Lisa, which was the first to disappear; as far as the cookie patrol was concerned, Cookie was the logical suspect.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I must say that was one spectacular special! Well-written plot, catchy music, enjoyable one liners...it almost felt like a half hour SS version of MMW with a hint of Don't Eat the Pictures! Rachel Dratch's role as the museum guard was semi-reminiscent to Tina Fey's role as Nadya...but that's just me! The little parody skits with Grover were super enjoyable, both Prairie and Abby's roles were delightful...all in all, it just a great unending ride of fun! Except for one thing...

Like a few other people on here, I honestly wish they would cut out the regular opening and closing credit sequence, JUST THIS ONCE! They really should get rid of it next season, but I'm getting off track! Either way, there's really no need to include the regular opening and closing credit sequence for specials like this.

Some other great observations about the main special: during "We Love Cookie Art", I'm sure we all noticed the Honker cameo, but at the same time, did anybody else besides me notice the cameo made by the lavender Anything Muppet man from the Season 2 skit where Cookie Monster is trying to identify which nearby building is a school?

And of course Prairie's final line was a swell inside joke to Fran's final production with performing was hysterical yet a tad bittersweet! (Just as bittersweet as The Count's final line in the Jerry tribute, and Elmo's final line in "Lights Camera, Bert!")

For the rest of the episode...it's great that we got to see the artist word of the day bit 3 days early! Awesome to see a skit with Abby and The Count doing what they do best! Terry did a lovely job portraying each of the 5 kinds of artists! The following film was pretty good, I'll admit. Last but not least...it was great to at long last see a new Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures clip for the first time in a couple years- a cool way to end the episode/special!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even though the special has already aired, PBS is still advertising it.

As a movie, for some reason.

Oscarfan

Reaction score

As a movie, for some reason.
It's airing throughout the week, so yeah they're still advertising it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Another thing: I liked how the lessons of executive functioning and self-regulation weren't as obvious/heavy-handed as they've been on the show. They were a lot more subtle here.
They seem to do a better job of it when Cookie Monster's the subject because it's so natural to the character. I'd say it was subtle enough here to even wonder if that was an intended part of the special or just a coincidence. They didn't repeat all the techniques to calm down like they usually do. Then again, it would be hard to have a special about Cookie Monster without having that sort of thing integral to the plot.

Checked my local listings. This special will rerun Wednesday, in between 2 new episodes this week.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I'm happy to learn Stephanie's going to step up to the plate, I felt she was the logical choice all along.
So is that official now? Steph will be the new Prairie? Where did you hear that? Will she be Zoe as well? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I can't help being curious here.