Your Thoughts: Star Trek

Bob1995

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Star Trek? You don't have to be a trekkie.
My thoughts are that the movie was great. The new cast did fantastic, But the new Spock, Zackary Quinto, did the best job. And unlike other sci-fi epics, where action is used as filler for story, Star Trek actually struck a balance between action and story. Of all the summer blockbusters I've seen, this lives up to the hype of the critical acclaim it's getting.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Personally, I see this as being what Gene would have done had he the budget and the technological ability.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I kinda want to see it myself, and I'm not even that big a Trek fan... it really does look exciting, and like a present era Sci-Fi movie. Sure, it doesn't exactly have the quaintness of the old TV show, but an alternate universe style story about how they all met up? Keeping to the fact they actually make sure to state it's an alternative universe, I think they had a good idea right here. It's so hard to relaunch a franchsie such as Star Wars... sure, we do have hundreds of reruns, novels, and all that to keep it going... but a movie seemed the only way to make a new project... a TV show was out of the question (I still don't know what kinda reception Enterprise got), especially since there isn't anywhere to put it nowadays...

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I loved this movie and I honestly think everyone would love this movie. It's just good, old-fashioned movie going fun. The characters are deep and connected the plot is deep and connected and the action is incredible. Really, I think this is just an all-around great film for everyone who's looking to actually have some fun at the movies this summer.

Libba Yuki

Reaction score
Personally, I see this as being what Gene would have done had he the budget and the technological ability.
I couldnt' have said it better myself.

To me, it fit very nicely in with the old Star Trek movies (don't get me wrong, I love TNG and TNG films...but they didn't have the same heart as the original show and that show's movies).

The casting, the humor, how well it all tied together...it was pretty perfect to me!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Are we talking about the new movie or Star Trek in general?

If it's about the new movie, then I haven't seen it and will wait for it on video.

If it's Star Trek in general, then I'll say this, Deep Space Nine was my favorite trek series.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Are we talking about the new movie or Star Trek in general?

If it's about the new movie, then I haven't seen it and will wait for it on video.

If it's Star Trek in general, then I'll say this, Deep Space Nine was my favorite trek series.

Aw come now... wait for it to come to the dollar theaters and watch it at a matinee... that's what I'm doing. Big Budget movies never look good on a small TV. That's for low budget kiddy films. Plus, if you go to the cheap theaters, those things are never guarded all that well. You could probably sneak into another film if you don't like it.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Aw come now... wait for it to come to the dollar theaters and watch it at a matinee... that's what I'm doing. Big Budget movies never look good on a small TV. That's for low budget kiddy films. Plus, if you go to the cheap theaters, those things are never guarded all that well. You could probably sneak into another film if you don't like it.
He he, I don't like sneaking into other movies. I'm one of those people who if I pay to see a particular movie, then I'm going to see that movie and then leave, regardless if it's bad or not.

But I waited for Transformers to come out on video, and you know what, it was just as bad as I thought. If the first one was bad, then the second one is going to be bad too.

I've read a lot of opinions on this new Star Trek movie. Although people say it has a lot of action, some people think the movie was dumb down to attract more mainstream people who wouldn't even see a Star Trek movie even if the got a free ticket. I might go see it at a dollar movie. But if I don't, no big deal.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw this today and it was... well... all I can say is I wish that the Star Wars prequels had a quarter of the vision, action, and over all fun this movie had. I'm not a huge fan of the franchise. I liked the few episodes of the original that I saw, and I can't quite remember them well enough to put them up against this film... more or less other Star Trek films. So I don't know if they made it a good Star Trek film, but I can assure you they made it a good film outright.

Again, this prequel of sorts totally kicks the Star Wars prequel's butts. Could you imagine if they took the same route with this film? Crummy CGI characters plastered all over, slow, almost real time pacing? This film rushed right into the important stuff, and didn't drag unnecessarily for half hours establishing tiny details, like that ferschlugginer Pod race that took up half the movie.

And as a TV show "remake" of sorts (I don't exactly think of it like that, but as a way to reboot a franchise that's been hurt after Enterprise.... can't say I follow Star Trek enough to get the reception from that, but it didn't feel good), i think they actually tried and cared with this one... unlike Land of the Lost, Dudley Do-Right, The Honeymooners, Underdog... stuff that basically says, "I'm here to cash in my check before I make another movie." It really was well written, well acted, well cast... again, not like a certain other franchise Meesa know-no

There was one thing that confused me.... SPOILER:

I still am trying to figure out if it is indeed an alternated time line, or an altered time line, altered by the Romulans at the beginning of the movie. I did look past the black hole stuff... I give them the benefit of the doubt, using 1960's, pre-Hawking space logic... when you go through a black hole, you're a singularity... you're GONE. Plus, after watching a Cluth Cargo (snicker) anything in the world sounded logical. It's like they implied that both time streams crossed, and that the act of the Romulans altered the course of history- killing Kirk's dad in a massive fighter battle and destroying Vulcan- but Future Spock hints at knowing Kirk's father and makes references to Kirk's other time line. But he also makes references to that particular chain of events happening.

END Spoiler

RedPiggy

Reaction score
As far as I'm aware, what was created was an alternate timeline, as Old Spock wouldn't know of his "real" past if it were "real" history that was altered (except, in these time travel plots in Trek, if you were there during the jump, you're unaffected by the temporal changes). Old Spock was aware of some of the changes because he had come through the wormhole later than Nero but early enough to figure stuff out. In Classic Trek, Jim's father was alive (at least he was, he was dead by the time of the episode IIRC).