Your Thoughts: Street Gang – The Complete History of Sesame Street

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I tried to hop into Borders Books across the street before work and even though the book was supposed to be in the store I couldn't find it and the staff was characteristically unhelpful. It was also listed for 8 bucks more than Amazon so I just ordered it online. I'm sure the staff at that store misplaced it in the kids section, but after using the locating kiosk and slogging through all the places it legitimately should be I gave up and started my workday. I will make a point to be even more helpful to customers today. :super:

:search: Anyway, I'm very excited to get this book! Just the comments here have made for a good read, no doubt the book will too! Does it contain any images or art? If so, what?

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The casual fan of Sesame Street probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as it doesn't go in to a lot of detail as to how certain characters came about but does a great job of introducing the people behind the scenes (benefactors, politicians, influences, producers, writers, stage hands, puppeteers, etc.). It gets into a lot of detail as to all the people that were involved in making Sesame street a reality and is a great read for a complete history of Sesame Street.

P.S. I've also found several books listed on e-Bay and may be a cheaper alternative to bookstores or Amazon.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Another part I found quite interesting was how how Micheal Eisner, after his relentless suit after the sesame street characters, on day come in with army of lawyers and raided and launched a full scale assault for a hostage takeover to gain ownership ship and control of the Sesame Street Characters in a final show down between him and Cooney. And it was amazing how and just plain old dumb luck and the right connection and the right place at the right time and She won and Disney backed off. They were were really lucky. But he ended up really lucky. But it ended with him screwing over The Henson Company in the end. :stick_out_tongue:

Good Gravy, I never knew there was an untold story about Disney vs the Street. :eek:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I tried to hop into Borders Books across the street before work and even though the book was supposed to be in the store I couldn't find it and the staff was characteristically unhelpful. It was also listed for 8 bucks more than Amazon so I just ordered it online.
Aw that stinks, well at least you had the online option. Maybe the last copy had just been taken from the store?

KerMatttheFrog

Reaction score
What a wonderful read! Very informative history of Sesame Street and I feel I have so much more understanding and appreciation for the work that went into creating and maintaining this show. I also was very interested in reading how the changes made to "the Street" to attempt to counter the popularity of Barney paralleled when I thought the actual tone and theme of the show changed without knowing the reasons.

I highly recommend it for any fan of Henson, The Muppets, or Sesame!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Aw that stinks, well at least you had the online option. Maybe the last copy had just been taken from the store?
That would be nice, but I doubt it's the case. There were many obscure new books in the new release section. Street Gang should have been there. They didn't carry Pepe's book either, but I can understand that. If I had flipped through that book beforehand I'd have left it on the shelf due to the sparse content and lack of photography (I know they've got pictures of the Prawn ready to use because I have a file of 'em). Here's hoping this month's Diva Code avoids that mistake.

I'm glad Street Gang has some actual photos.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
There's chapter that discusses what Jone was saying about how they wanted to keep fantasy from reality. They were going to have the humans above ground and then that camera would go down into this underworld underneath the street where the Muppets Characters would be. And the tow species and human and Muppet would really ever meet. It had so many parallels to the concept of Fraggle Rock that it's believed that Jim Henson stored the ides later for that show.

it also discusses more on the original concept and origin for Oscar The Grouch, and it is pretty interesting and confusing to me...

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Even though Carol Spinney Narrates the book's CD version...Does he narrates the part when it comes to himself in the book ? :frown: