1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: The Christmas Toy DVD

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by Phillip, Nov 1, 2008.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

The beloved Henson special, The Christmas Toy is now on DVD. When you get your copy, post here and let us know what you think of this new release.

Since most of us will be getting this release, we'd like to mention that if you order The Christmas Toy from Amazon using this link above, a small portion of your order will go to Muppet Central to help keep the site, forum and radio running smoothly. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on the DVD set with a low-price guarantee with free shipping. We greatly appreciate each person that helps support MC by placing orders through the site.

Let us know what you think of The Christmas Toy now on DVD.
  2. therockliveson

therockliveson New Member

I just saw a review of the DVD on DVD Talk and Kermit isn't in The Christmas Toy, unfortunately. :cry: I have the DVD on preorder but I guess I will also be holding onto my VHS copy as well.
  3. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

That's a shame, as well as no bonus features. I have the VHS and I'll probably hold off on this for awhile. But I'll definitely recommend to friends. :)
  4. FrogInTheGlen

FrogInTheGlen New Member

I can live without Kermit in this one better than I can "Emmet Otter." I might have to go ahead and buy this!
  5. heralde

I actually think I'm more upset about Kermit being left out of The Christmas Toy, just because it's such a strong part of my childhood memory. But I guess it doesn't really matter which is worse, hehe. I'll still recommend the DVD to people. :)
  6. FrogInTheGlen

FrogInTheGlen New Member

Yeah, I guess it's all about childhood memories...I think I probably saw "Christmas Toy" first, but I always liked "Emmet" better, so that's the one I want to see as close to the original as possible.
  7. heralde

Yeah it's all about perspective. I think The Muppet Movie is the best film, but Muppets Take Manhattan is my favorite. :)

But anyway, as long as TCT DVD still has the dark hallway shots and touching ending, I'll be happy, lol. :)

Btw, I LOVE Tough Pigs' commentary on the special! Lol
  8. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

Well, I guess I'll stick with my original TV recording, then. If Kermit's not in it, it's just not the same D:
  9. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

*sigh* I bought this today at Target, even without Kermit on it I just couldn't pass this up.
  10. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Is it bad?
  11. TheJimHensonHour

While they could have fixed up the quality, it was still fun to watch.
    It's not something I'll watch all the time but I enjoyed it enough to maybe watch it once a year say on Christmas lol
  12. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I refuse to believe that Hit and Henson can't get these Kermit cameos/introductions included in these DVD releases. Heck, give Disney a bonus trailer for one of their projects on the DVD release. Hit seems more interested in turning a quick buck than keeping the fans happy these days. I'm glad this is on DVD, but it just seems so cheap to me. It deserves better.

I propose some sort of Jim Henson presents box set that somehow strikes a deal with Disney to include these deleted portions (along with an unedited MFC etc) to be released together or in numbered volumes. Fans will pay a premium price for these if they receive the right treatment.
  13. KerMatttheFrog

KerMatttheFrog New Member

I don't know the work or money that would go into this sort of licensing, but I'd surely shell out the money to have DVD versions of that stuff with "the Kerm" back in them. I for one WAS pretty psyched when he unexpectedly (for me at least) popped up for a cameo on Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (which I think was underrated).:)
  14. TheJimHensonHour

I agree this does seem like a low value dvd, it just sort of plays and loops.
    There's no menue, no previews, it seems like not allot of care went into this dvd.
  15. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

Christmas Toy question

Hey, I saw that they released this special on DVD, however without Kermit. But I was curious... what's this special about? Is it "Tales Of The Bunny Picnic" good or "The Muppets Go To The Movies" good? lol In other words, is it geared more towards kids than the general Muppet fan like myself?
  16. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I liked it. It's like Toy Story meets Sesame Street meets Muppet Babies...kinda. That's the short of it. Actually it is quite different and parts of it are a little on the kid-friendly side, but it's a sweet special that I would recommend to anyone. And Dave Goelz plays the lead character. Can’t go wrong with that.

Of course, this was all plotted, created and filmed before Toy Story, but the idea is similar. One major difference that gives it the Henson-touch is that if a toy is seen moving on its own by a human it freezes in position for life. That somber creepy side creates a balance that keeps it from being too kiddie.
  17. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

So are these two DVD's worth buying? I don't own Emmet on DVD yet (I have a VHS copy with the Kermit scene) but don't own The Christmas Toy in any form so should I pick up both of these anyway or save my money?
  18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Well, from what I remember the Kermit parts are very brief. He shows up in Santa gear atop a house and slips down the chimney to introduce the special. He then shows up at the end to sing along. I believe that's it. It's only about two minutes and not really needed, but having seen the program in its entirety it just doesn't seem quite right without the frog. It is a good worthwhile program in its own right and you should at least NetFlix if not purchase the DVD IMHO. :)
  19. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

No, no, no, I know Kermit's scenes in the special but I wanted to know if I should buy this DVD or go on EBay or something to get the older tape (they seem to pretty much be the same thing but with the Kermit scenes on the VHS).

And is the Emmet Otter DVD HIT put out worth replacing the VHS for?
  20. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member