1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: "The Great Muppet Caper" and "Muppet Treasure Island" on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, Dec 10, 2013.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

What gets me is they made a huge deal about there being a "sneak peak" of the new movie. Which that is far from new, plus there has already been another trailer released since that one. In a way though I like that there not showing to much of the movie. I mean I don't want to see it all in trailers before it comes out, if you know what I mean.

muppetlover123 likes this.
  2. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

I'm watching Muppet Treasure Island right now and the picture quality is fantastic!! Sooo much better than the DVDs. I'm so glad to finally have all the theatrical Muppet releases on Blu-ray.

dwayne1115 likes this.
  3. dwayne1115

Do you mind that it's in full screen?

4. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you mean... they're in their original aspect ratio on the Blu-ray, and that's all I care about lol so they're fine.

5. dwayne1115

On Muppet Central's Facebook feed they mentioned this as a good gift idea and it also says they will be giving one away, I don't know if they mean as a gift to one of there followers or what.

6. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Any easter eggs onthe bluray? The muppet movie had one

7. dwayne1115

As far as I can tell, and I have looked over this with a almost fine comb no. It would have been really cool if they had some behind the secerns footage of the bikes in GMC like they had in TMM.

8. fictionalnice

fictionalnice Active Member

I'm a huge muppet fan, and I have none of there stuff on dvd or blu-ray. Tight on money right now with Christmas, and I just got a new car. Gotta look that stuff up online, sigh

ElizaSchuyler likes this.
  9. Mr Sweetums

Mr Sweetums Active Member

Hi everyone

I received this Blu-Ray for Christmas and was just wondering does it come with a sleeve? (sorry if that's not the right word)

thanks

10. dwayne1115

Yes it does.

11. Mr Sweetums

Mr Sweetums Active Member

thanks dude

guess I'm spending boxing day hoping the store has another copy who's sleeve I can borrow :)

12. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

I thought the picture quality on GMC was HORRIBLE. The blue sky was so grainy in the opening titles/hot-air balloon sequence that it gave me a headache.

Didn't watch the commentary track on MTI, that's another disappointment to hear they took out the clips but left the "we're backs!" I'd rather they remove the entire commentary if that was the case.

A very disappointing release in this format. I say, keep your DVD's and don't bother with the blu-rays.

Alex

13. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

I think with Muppet Caper's picture quality... that's the best it's ever going to be. I'm not an official or anything but I feel like that's just the original print of the movie was and won't get any better.

Personally I like the look, it's very "80s nostalgic" :p

heralde likes this.
  14. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

Yeah, that's precisely why I said not to bother paying the higher price for a blu-ray. It doesn't look any better than the DVD.

Alex

heralde likes this.
  15. dwayne1115

I won't say I liked it or hated it, but I will say that I reviewed both The Muppet Movie blu ray and this one, and I have to say that The Muppet Movie blu ray was a lot different then this one!

16. Vinnie Rattolle

Vinnie Rattolle New Member

This is a regular problem with credits sequences of older movies released in HD... Unless they track down the original camera negatives of the raw footage and redo the credits from scratch, they're a generation off from the rest of the movie. Without getting too technical, the titles were done separately so you're essentially seeing a film of a film filled with all the inherent restrictions of that era's lack of clarity in film. Crap, did that just come off as utter babble? In any event, credits and post-production special effects sequences of pre-90s flicks are bound to look crummier than the rest of the movie when presented in HD.

17. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

That's an excellent point, and the loss of a generation with old titles is something I was aware of. Unfortunately I kept watching after the credit sequence and was just as disappointed with the graininess of the first dance number. I may have been remiss in singling out the credit sequence alone, as if it was the only quality that I found lacking, but I was remembering the first image that looked like garbage when I hit play.

Alex

18. Vinnie Rattolle

Vinnie Rattolle New Member

Honestly, I haven't picked up the new disc yet -- I hit this thread to see what people were saying about it. I did, however, get "The Muppet Movie." In addition to the credits looking bad, there were some in-camera soft-focus shots (like the entire "Never Before, Never Again" sequence) which looked jarringly different. So I went back and watched the original 480 DVD release and concluded it was superior, as the quality seemed more consistent throughout. I'm sad to learn that "Caper" has the same sort of problems. HBO's been running the HD version of "Treasure Island" regularly and it looks stunning... but it's not my favorite of the Muppet flicks, so I'll probably wait until they knock the price down to $10 to get this disc.

19. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Blu-ray.com has posted a review: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Muppe...-The-Great-Muppet-Caper-Blu-ray/81115/#Review

I don't like how this review says that these are the least-liked of the movies or haven't foudn much of an audience outside of the more hardcore fans. I feel like they are very well-known to casual fans (it seems people I know who aren't hardcore fans really like MTI). It's obvious from the review that the reviewer likes these two the least, but in the starting paragraphs it seems he thinks they are not that well-liked or known (Muppet Treasure Island is the third highest-grossing Muppet film, though I guess box office numbers don't always translate to how those who saw it liked it).

When it comes to Muppet films that haven't found much of an audience, I would say MTM and MFS are those films (and ironically they're the ones owned by Sony AND as a result have been paired together on DVD). Though I feel like none of the theatrical films are too obscure, at least to those who grew up with the Muppets at least a decade ago and were familiar with the Muppets long before 2011's The Muppets. I can see various specials being obscure or unknown to the casual fans, but I'd have a hard time believing that any long-time casual Muppet fans would not be aware of all the theatrical movies (except maybe Muppets from Space, but then that one seems to be a bit infamous).

20. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I just got it and I love how Muppet Treasure Island looks in Blu-Ray