Your Thoughts: "The Great Muppet Caper" and "Muppet Treasure Island" on Blu-ray

Mr Sweetums

Reaction score
thanks dude

guess I'm spending boxing day hoping the store has another copy who's sleeve I can borrow :smile:

Dearth

Reaction score
I thought the picture quality on GMC was HORRIBLE. The blue sky was so grainy in the opening titles/hot-air balloon sequence that it gave me a headache.

Didn't watch the commentary track on MTI, that's another disappointment to hear they took out the clips but left the "we're backs!" I'd rather they remove the entire commentary if that was the case.

A very disappointing release in this format. I say, keep your DVD's and don't bother with the blu-rays.

Alex

rexcrk

Reaction score
I think with Muppet Caper's picture quality... that's the best it's ever going to be. I'm not an official or anything but I feel like that's just the original print of the movie was and won't get any better.

Personally I like the look, it's very "80s nostalgic" :stick_out_tongue:

Dearth

Reaction score
Yeah, that's precisely why I said not to bother paying the higher price for a blu-ray. It doesn't look any better than the DVD.

Alex

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I thought the picture quality on GMC was HORRIBLE. The blue sky was so grainy in the opening titles/hot-air balloon sequence that it gave me a headache.

Didn't watch the commentary track on MTI, that's another disappointment to hear they took out the clips but left the "we're backs!" I'd rather they remove the entire commentary if that was the case.

A very disappointing release in this format. I say, keep your DVD's and don't bother with the blu-rays.

Alex
I won't say I liked it or hated it, but I will say that I reviewed both The Muppet Movie blu ray and this one, and I have to say that The Muppet Movie blu ray was a lot different then this one!

Vinnie Rattolle

Reaction score
This is a regular problem with credits sequences of older movies released in HD... Unless they track down the original camera negatives of the raw footage and redo the credits from scratch, they're a generation off from the rest of the movie. Without getting too technical, the titles were done separately so you're essentially seeing a film of a film filled with all the inherent restrictions of that era's lack of clarity in film. Crap, did that just come off as utter babble? In any event, credits and post-production special effects sequences of pre-90s flicks are bound to look crummier than the rest of the movie when presented in HD.

Dearth

Reaction score
That's an excellent point, and the loss of a generation with old titles is something I was aware of. Unfortunately I kept watching after the credit sequence and was just as disappointed with the graininess of the first dance number. I may have been remiss in singling out the credit sequence alone, as if it was the only quality that I found lacking, but I was remembering the first image that looked like garbage when I hit play.

Alex

Vinnie Rattolle

Reaction score
Honestly, I haven't picked up the new disc yet -- I hit this thread to see what people were saying about it. I did, however, get "The Muppet Movie." In addition to the credits looking bad, there were some in-camera soft-focus shots (like the entire "Never Before, Never Again" sequence) which looked jarringly different. So I went back and watched the original 480 DVD release and concluded it was superior, as the quality seemed more consistent throughout. I'm sad to learn that "Caper" has the same sort of problems. HBO's been running the HD version of "Treasure Island" regularly and it looks stunning... but it's not my favorite of the Muppet flicks, so I'll probably wait until they knock the price down to $10 to get this disc.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Blu-ray.com has posted a review: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Muppe...-The-Great-Muppet-Caper-Blu-ray/81115/#Review

I don't like how this review says that these are the least-liked of the movies or haven't foudn much of an audience outside of the more hardcore fans. I feel like they are very well-known to casual fans (it seems people I know who aren't hardcore fans really like MTI). It's obvious from the review that the reviewer likes these two the least, but in the starting paragraphs it seems he thinks they are not that well-liked or known (Muppet Treasure Island is the third highest-grossing Muppet film, though I guess box office numbers don't always translate to how those who saw it liked it).

When it comes to Muppet films that haven't found much of an audience, I would say MTM and MFS are those films (and ironically they're the ones owned by Sony AND as a result have been paired together on DVD). Though I feel like none of the theatrical films are too obscure, at least to those who grew up with the Muppets at least a decade ago and were familiar with the Muppets long before 2011's The Muppets. I can see various specials being obscure or unknown to the casual fans, but I'd have a hard time believing that any long-time casual Muppet fans would not be aware of all the theatrical movies (except maybe Muppets from Space, but then that one seems to be a bit infamous).

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I just got it and I love how Muppet Treasure Island looks in Blu-Ray