1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by GelflingWaldo, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The titles look so much better than that plain typeface. Much more medieval than the plain Celtic font. Man, this stuff's getting good... not that it wasn't before.

2. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I think Muppet Snow White is going to be fun!

3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Well I found a copy of the first "On the Road" issue. It's very good, and the Fozzie comic a tthe end is funny. I noticed that the Mutations are miscolored. Also interesting that Boppity and Gloat are drawn approximately the same height as Sweetums in the opening (and I wish they'd put in more monsters from the show, as opposed to including originally-designed monsters... Maybe Timmy and Doglion).

4. Drtooth

A lot of stuff in these comics, I've noticed, are miscolored. One panel in the on the road issue has Sam with an orange beak. The problem is clearly that the colorists are unfamiliar with more obscure characters. That explains the green Thog in Pigs in Space issue 0.

5. minor muppetz

I've been thinking, wouldn't it be cool if one of the comics featured a performance by Beaker, The Swedish Chef, and Animal? I'm not too big on the idea of that team-up being used so much in the virmup videos (Steve Whitmire himself said he thought it was overkill in his MuppetCast interview), but I'm thinking it could be funny in the comics. Heck, it'd be funny to push the joke too far by making a story arc based around it.

6. Drtooth

I'm really loving these comics at the end of the issues with Fozzie... they're so avantgarde and really stand apart from the rest of the comic. Indeed, this is Langridge's style of humor, and what could have been had Disney Adventures didn't fold (but then we wouldn't have gotten those comic books in the first place). Last issue it was the A-Z of Comedy, now a rebus style bit about garbage. Not that the rest of the issue wasn't great itself... a whole town of Statler and Waldorf clones (or relatives) that LOVE the even worse than Fozzie comedy stylings of Clint Wacky. And his gag writers that lift jokes from expensive Christmas Crackers (complaining later about someone else's routine, shouting that his Christmas Crackers must be extremely cheap).

ooh! And a nice twist on the Talking Houses too. I said it before, this dude has a solid handle on classic TMS sketches.

7. Aaron Sparrow

Aaron Sparrow New Member

Just to chime in-- I've never found Amy's art to be "wishy-washy". I think she does a fantastic job, particularly in the face of the nigh-impossible deadlines I occasionally give her.

Looking over her linework on the "FAMILY REUNION" arc, I can pretty much say you guys haven't seen nothin' yet!

-A

8. King Prawn

King Prawn New Member

This has got me really excited for the upcoming The Muppet Show: Family Reunion series :):super:

http://www.amazon.com/Muppet-Show-C...r_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267649758&sr=1-24

Product Discription:

The Muppet Theatre has been repaired, and it's time to once again start the Muppet Show! The search for a new performer leads to an unexpected guest, prompting a family reunion that fans have been asking for, but never expected! This is the one Muppets fans have been demanding, and will be talking about for months to come!

When i first read about the Family Reunion series I thought we'd have all the Disney Characters coming to watch the show but now i'm starting to believe it might be their real family... Sesame Street and if the Fraggles are there too then... AWSOME!

9. Aaron Sparrow

Aaron Sparrow New Member

I wouldn't get my hopes up for any lincensing crossovers. If I had THAT power we'd be doing MUPPET DIE HARD. :)

Still, I think what we have in store for this arc will make everyone pretty happy.

-A

10. King Prawn

King Prawn New Member

I'm sure i'll be more than happy with the end result :) These comics are amazing, I don't post much but i'm always here looking to see if any new covers have been posted.

Keep up the great work guys:)

11. minor muppetz

It just hit me... Somebody fans have been demanding... Could this be maybe.... an adult Skeeter?

12. minor muppetz

Is the cover shown the actual cover for the first "Family Reunion" issue? Because that cover looks like one of the exclusive variant covers for issue #1 (the REAL issue #1, "Kermit's Story").

But I guess we'll find out in a month.

13. minor muppetz

Tough Pigs has a 5-page preview for issue #3: http://www.toughpigs.com/tms3-preview/

It is a bit disapointing that they come back to the theater at the very beginning. It probably would have been better if this were a four-issue storyarc. Then again, regardless the line at the end of The Treasure of Peg-Leg Wilson about them traveling to four towns does seem a bit awkward, as we only see them in two towns.

Yay! Louis Kazagger returns! Ah, Thog is drawn without that spikey thing on top of his head (what is that thing, anyway?).

14. Drtooth

The one thing that I'd feel disappointed about is that it was only a 3 part epic to accommodate the issue zero into a graphic novel. But it looks like that was the wisest choice. I do not see them making a special 5 issue comic reprint graphic novel (too much red tape in that), it would be too tedious and confusing (and unpleasant for the reader) to fit three parts of an arc with the conclusion on the next issue (which would have to repeat the pattern until they run a three part arc anyway to balance things out), or excluding the issue zero from the reprint, leading those who only want (or can get) the graphic novel reprints without issue zero.

15. minor muppetz

Honeslty, when I first saw the B cover I figured they'd return tot he theater at the beginning as opposed to the end. I guess if this were four issues it'd still begin with them back at the theater.I wonder if they'll share memories of being on the road or anything.

It would be great if there'd be more three-issue storyarcs with preceding/following one-shot issues.

16. Amy

Amy Member

This is only tangentially to do with the comics, but I figure you guys would get a kick out of this.
    I was at Emerald City Comic Con this last weekend promoting the Boom! kids comics. I was the Muppet artist in attendance.

I met Karen Prell! Aka RED FRAGGLE(and the Worm and Junk lady in Labyrinth!) She said she was thrilled to see classic Muppets being enjoyed by kids again and she took a copy of Muppet Peter Pan.
    I blogged about the experience:
    http://amymebberson.blogspot.com

eeeeee, I met a real Muppeteer! OLD-SCHOOL!

17. Drtooth

Okay... so, Muppet Show on the Road 3 apparently came out today, and I didn't see King Arthur there with it. So am I correct in saying the next issue of Arthur comes out next week?

18. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Well as i posted in another Boom thread, even though all indications (including Boom's website) seemed to indicate TMS #3 came out last week and wasn't pushed back, i didn't find a copy in two different comic shops i checked out (which was the first time i wasn't able to find a copy at one or the other...even if it was the last copy).

However not only was there indeed a copy of TMS #3 on the racks today but there was also Muppet King Arthur #3 as well so it did indeed come out today (as did Farscape Ongoing #5 - which was actually the high point of the trio...i know the Farscape comics don't get hardly any coverage on the Muppet/Henson fansites or discussion boards but dang this thing is such a treat and today's issue had me squeeing all over the place from really cool interior monologues from all Moya's crew except Noranti who wasn't in a state where one could be provided but also the beginning of an arc concerning PILOT'S HOMEWORLD!)

Wildly happy Muppet/Henson fanboy today!

19. Drtooth

I was able to find both, as I stated in another thread...

Not that I didn't like the issue... but somehow, I REALLY wish that they only got to the theater at the very end of the issue, and had at least one more tour of another city/ Plus, I REALLY liked those non-traditional rebus/alphabet type comics that they had with Fozzie in those last 2 issues. It's a shame they didn't have it somewhere in here. Though, the backstory he gave was pretty non-traditional.

20. Newton Gimmick

Newton Gimmick New Member

SO far so good!