1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by GelflingWaldo, Mar 25, 2009.

1. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was gonna mention it, but the review just seemed painful to me, and not because he dissed Skeeter. I don't see how she "wasn't fully developed". What Muppet is when (re)introduced? Do you know how Lips likes to spend his free time? I thought not. Skeeter was who she is -- an athletic "trickster" who manages to be like Piggy but in a more blue-collar kind of way, loving her Muppet Show family even when she's a little condescending (it's been years and she still calls Scooter a nerd? really?). I was angry when she left. I can't help it. I like the dynamic when she's involved. But, the "meh" review wasn't what was painful. THAT honor goes to his unfunny delivery. It's kind of like he went to comedy classes by Fozzie ... and failed. Statler and Waldorf would've been left speechless by how bad it was. If I were ever to start up my video reviews again, I realize I'd be much better off laying off the comedy and doing a more "serious school-marm" kind of routine, providing a more academic-type review. Maybe something like Nostalgia Chick, but without jokes, LOL. ;)
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I don't even bother with those "I have a webcam, I can swear, Let's watch something I just found out about and rip it apart" things. If I want to see MST3K, I'll WATCH MST3K and not someone who THINKS he's MST3K.

I'm not going to bother reading or watching or whatever it is... but after years of reading comics based off of outside media (movies and TV shows), the Muppets are by FAR the best of the bunch (with Darkwing gaining on their tail), especially after reading ho hum personality devoid Looney Tunes with bad 1970's style Freeling wanna be style guide art.

That said, loving Muppet Mash number 1.
  3. analeisa

analeisa Member

I would be SO happy if Nostalgia Critic reviewed a Muppet movie. That said, like RedPiggy, I didn't much like Last Angry Geek's review of the comic book. The puppet bits weren't funny and I just dissagred with his opinion.

Skeeter WAS a developed character because we learned quite a bit about her. We to see her interests, personality traits, and how see reacts with a variety of characters. Personally, that's what I liked best about the arc. Her interactions with Scooter and Robin were sweet and brought them to the fore front again. She doesn't step around Piggy like others do. Skeeter purposely stepped on her toes. :p I'll miss the contrast that she brought.

Anyway! I haven't read Muppet Mash yet but I'm looking forward to it. I love Amy's art lots but I missed Roger's cartoony and vibrant style.
  4. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Well, I guess you could argue he did, as he reviewed Follow That Bird (though he couldn't be mean about it, to hilarious effect). I think some song called "Professional Pirates" or something from MTI was counted in a countdown of good villain songs.
  5. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

One thing that I've wondered about Family Reunion is if any of the characters who appear in it (besides Skeeter) were included because of Amy Mebberson's desire to draw them. I know that she doesn't really like drawing obscure characters just to please the fans, but still....
  6. minor muppetz

"Saying Goodbye" and "I'm So Blue" were also in the NCs countdown of the "Top 11 Saddest Nostalgic Moments", and the Nostalgia Chick reviewed Labyrinth.

Regarding that review, while I didn't agree with the poor rating I did find it funny. I think that was the first-ever negative review of a Muppet Show Comic Book. I thought everybody liked them.

It is interesting how they mentioned that they hadn't seen the first three issues... At first I was confused, as there are more than three issues before "Family Reunion". I wonder if they are aware of the initial "repeat the numbering after four issues" strategy not to mention the fact that there's actually an "issue #0".
  7. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I'm guessing yes. When Roger writes his script, i'm sure he outlines the basic story but not all the details of the visuals which gives Amy her creative decisions - such as visual running gags or which characters to include in backgrounds - take the splash page of the first Family Reunion issue - the decision to include Luncheon Counter Monster and the Java Muppets for example was probably Amy's as opposed to Roger's.
  8. minor muppetz

I was referring to characters who might have been a bit more featured, like Bobby Benson and his Baby Band, or Wayne and Wanda.
  9. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Of course Amy herself can pop in anytime once she sees the discussion, so all my answers are educated guesses but things like that i'm sure would have been Roger. Not only was that more story, but that was all stuff i would have expected from him under "normal" circumstances of him doing the story/art.
  10. Amy

Amy Member

The decision over which Muppets to feature in skits are all Roger's decision.
    Muppet characters wandering in the background or in the audience are mostly mine. Occasionally Roger will mention 'Put *such and such* in there somewhere', but it's mostly my call on cameos.

I'm very proud of Family Reunion, I don't care what some reviewer says. It was a big thing to bring Skeeter in after 25 years and try and make her as well-rounded as the regular cast as possible, especially as Roger wasn't all that familiar with Muppet Babies. I was RABID about that cartoon as a kid, so the fact he did such a great job writing Skeeter using only some character notes I wrote up for him is testament to how GOOD Roger is at The Muppet Show.

The only thing I regret is that there wasn't time for me to colour the comic myself. Maybe BOOm will do a special edition down the line and I'll get to recolour it the way I envisioned it would look.
  11. Drtooth

As you should be. It's one of the finest arcs we've had. And I'm not saying that to flatter you. The art was beyond amazing, and the writing had a more focused feel to it, where we saw more story... more plot. Indeed it felt deeper than some of the other arcs (which are still wonderful, at any rate). Guy must've just stumbled on the comic, and not really read the rest of the series.

Sigh... if only they could bring your vision of Skeeter to life in other merchandising. What an amazing action figure that would have been.
  12. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Oh I loved the Skeeter inclusion, especially that she was given a more modern Hot Topic youth look.

But yeah, how come they don't have you doing the coloring? I personally would have liked that a lot more(Im big into strong colors)

Btw, is there a Pepe embargo? I dont think Ive seen him in even a cameo in the last year of issues:)
  13. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Oh I'd be all about downloading comics if I didn't hate reading PDF's or pritned jpgs with a passion. And I prefer to read with something in my hand on paper. Otherwise, Im all about downloading endless gigs of movies, music, programs, books, etc a month:)

Also, unless they were pure digital file scans, forget it. I hate home scanned versions of comics.

To be fair, they are actually sold out or comic stores arent getting a lot of the issues. I've turned to paying almost 3x the cover price on ebay given none of the 5 comic stores near me seem to get the newer issues.
  14. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Or, you can just read the whole issue at the comic store. I've done that with some of the Muppet spinoff issues I didnt want to buy(like the classic story telling) Hey, Im just being honest!

Btw, Web.tv still exists? I totally remember logging onto Muppet Central and the old Delphi forums in 1998 from web.tv, the college computer area near me and the local library. Old school! :p
  15. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. It was BECAUSE I saw scans of the Muppet show comics that I aggressively sought them out, even when they were sold out. I dont just buy anything Muppet related, I have to feel a connection. So seeing a number of pages prompted me to buy the comics. You cant hold jpgs in your hand(well I guess you print them out or have an ipad, but still) Comic books are still about collecting, as much as Im sure its about seeing what happens in a storyline. One could say its both. Though Im quite picky with those.

Also, we NEED an Up comic book:)

Hey man I totally hear ya. Shoot that's why I wasn't raised on Fraggle Rock in the 80's despite having some of the merchandise and the books. Too poor to afford cable, let alone HBO on top of that. I got into credit crds this year for the first time, maxed all those out...so money has always been a challenge.

But I mean, I personally believe in free options. I put all my comics online, and when I release my album on a label I also plan to release it free online. See, those who will buy will still buy.
  16. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I love em both, BUT who is the person who does the Snow White art/coloing? I dont like classic retellings, but I got all those issues based on the art alone. Wowzas.

Also, I wonder how one applies to do art for Boom, as I think I could do some rather good Muppet stuff
    (my latest art)
    http://www.neoramen.com/archives.php?view=324

I need to do a Muppet webcomic, always wanted to try my hand at that.

If you're still too poor to buy stuff, might I suggest ebay? Im probably one of the poorest on here, and I can afford to buy a lot of what I want from selling stuff I dont want or need on ebay.
  17. Drtooth

I didn't either, but these guys actually get them right! The way they should have been done.
  18. minor muppetz

Tough Pigs posted a new interview with Roger Langridge. http://www.toughpigs.com/langridge-qa-8/

He gives a bit of explanation regarding the mention of Skeeter's name, reveals details of the next three issues, and reveals some details about the next two storyarcs ("The Four Seasons" and a romance-themed storyarc).
  19. Count von Count

Count von Count Active Member

When does the next issue comes out? Boom Studios can be really bad at keeping us informed.
  20. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I'm enjoying all of them. The lastest one is the Halloween kinda themed one. I just can't get enough of all these wonderful Muppet comics coming out. So far my favorite one is the Snow White one. I just can't stop laughing everytime i see The Electric Mayhem. Just them being the 7 Dawrfs. Also Gonzo and Rizzo, i would love to see a movie of this just like "The Muppets Christmas Carol."

But now i'm looking forward for the Christmas one coming out soon. Just can't wait!