1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Character Encyclopedia

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, Feb 7, 2014.

1. PuppetMad

PuppetMad Member

Hi, I may be stupid here but why does it say that the debut number for characters like Afghan Hound for instance is 214 and Beaker is no 202, when there was only 120 Muppet episodes made. I hav seen this high number mention before but cant figure out why, im sure i'm an idiot.

2. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

214 means like season 2 episode 14

3. Mad Monty fan

Mad Monty fan Active Member

I'm kinda surprised that Spotted Dick isn't in that book.

4. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

can't find it at my library or any stores, but does anyone know what the price is?

5. Mad Monty fan

Don't know what the price was when I got it, but I do know a couple Barnes and Nobles around the state have it for sale.

6. Muppet Master

thanks, need to check my local B&N, hope I can get it for a price less than $20.

7. DutchMuppet

DutchMuppet Member

There is something like Google. ;) When I just searched on "Muppets Characters Guide" all the information was there. Even the buylink for Barnes and Nobles.

Muppet Master likes this.
  8. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Yeah, those spreads are kinda useless. But then there's a few different kinds of two-page spreads.

There are the two-page spreads with big images, mainly from Muppets Most Wanted (and a few from The Muppets), and a little box of text. It's a shame there's no such spreads from the other movies.

And then there's those useless ones mentioned above, with "Eat Drums!" and such.

And then there's a few spreads that involve characters. Most of them have a typical character page, and then there's a page next to it, usually with one fairly small image and a small text box, with most of the page being a blank-colored background. It's a shame they didn't just make the other page like the average character page, with more info (though some of those characters aren't quite major enough for that). One exception that's great is the spread for Constantine, where the second page is a big wanted poster for him.

Craig Shemin mentioned certain spreads that occur just because they had to take a character out. But would this mean they also took another character out, just because that character was on a page right next to a character who had to not have a page?

Those "Eat Drums" and "Time's Fun" pages should have been taken out in favor of pages for At the Dance, Bear on Patrol, The Swedish Chef's dishes, and/or Muppet News (that might be a little redundant with the Newsman having a page, but it's just as redundant as having an Electric Mayhem page in addition to giving each member their own page, or a Muppet Labs page when Bunsen and Beaker already have pages).

Duke Remington likes this.
  9. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

In that case, let's hope that most, if not all, of those spreads get taken out (especially the useless "eat drums" and "time's fun" ones) and replaced with pages more and different characters (especially the ones that were cut from the existing one at the last minute, like 80s Robot and Droop) if Craig Shemin ever gets to write an updated version of the book.

And in regards to Droop, if they can have both Muppy and Rufus in the same book, why not Droop and Nigel the Director? Seems like a double standard, if you ask me. :confused:

10. Mad Monty fan

I think if they do an updated version of this book, they could add these characters:
    -Spotted Dick
    -80's Robot
    -One-Eyed Jack
    -Calico
    -Blind Pew
    -Black Dog
    -Gaffer
    -Svengali
    -Vendaface
    -Trumpet Girl
    -Undertaker
    -Carter
    -Jill
    -Bill
    -Gil
    -Zondra
    -Zippity Zap
    -Chip
    -Droop
    The fact that those characters didn't get character sections is sad. It's also disappointing that the closest Droop and Carter ever got to appearing in that book are small bits and snippits

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  11. minor muppetz

Yeah, I've been wondering if Carter didn't get a page because of his resemblance to a member of Geri and the Atrics. Craig Shemin didn't discuss his absence in either the Muppet Mindset or Tough Pigs interviews.

Of course, Howard Tubman was the only "UK Spot exclusive" character to get a page (I would have liked to have seen Snooky Bloir included).

There are a few more things that were and weren't included I'm surprised by. Like including Frog Scouts but not Frogs (that could have been a two-page spread). And including The Prairie Dogs Glee Club as opposed to just Prairie Dogs. They were only a glee club in one episode (one that's not on DVD at that). I'm also similarly surprised about Lydia the Pig and Sopwith the Camel.

Man, I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I wish we could see Craig Shemin's original list of who to include.

12. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Droop? Really? Who cares? It's cool they bothered to put him in the movies, but he's not essential.

Some characters who weren't expected to be in the book were in the book. Why gripe about what you didn't get? It's not like this is the end-all, be-all Muppet character book.

muppetlover123 and galagr like this.
  13. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's not like the Sesame Street Coffee Table Books (Unpaved or 40 Years) were entirely complete and had a lot missing and inaccurate. That happens with any compendium style books. But we're lucky. We've only had quality ones so far. Most franchises don't get that lucky.

galagr likes this.
  14. Mad Monty fan

I suppose you have a point there, Oscarfan about how it doesn't really matter whether Droop gets a character section or not. It could be that he resembles Nigel from Muppets Tonight too much.

15. minor muppetz

I guess it doesn't matter that much if the book is character complete or if it leaves out the most obscure characters. But some of us fans want the book to be as complete as possible, some want their favorite characters included... I feel like every recurring character should be included (though many characters who are seemingly one-shot would show up in the background, so fans have different opinions of how "recurring" a character is). I guess people have different opinions on how "complete" it needs to be.

Most of my favorites are included. Droop and Gaffer are among my favorites not included, but I am happier that the book has Lips, Fleet Scribbler, Doglion, Seymour, and a bunch of others. My biggest disapointment with missing characters is not including many from JHH. I feel that show should be considered as important as TMS and MT.

It's interesting how Lubbock Lou isn't pictured in the section on Lubbock Lou and His Jughuggers, Craig Shemin said that the publishers are aware but they were short on time (though Lubbock Lou can be seen from behind in the section on The Muppet Theater). The main image is from a shot from The Great Muppet Caper, I don't know if that was a still or an image taken while the movie was in production, but it is odd that if they were going to use a shot from that scene, they chose a still (assuming it's a still) that had less of the jugband.

16. Mad Monty fan

Yeah. I found it hard to believe that Calico, Blind Pew, One-Eyed Jack, Black Dog, and Spotted Dick weren't in that book despite being in Muppets Most Wanted. Perhaps Craig couldn't add them in and had no time to.

17. Muppet Master

Well, look the bottom line is, I doubt he even knew those characters EXISTED! The fact that
    appeared in the book was enough of a homage to fans

18. minor muppetz

Craig had a draft of the script, but maybe he didn't know those characters would be in it. Maybe the script didn't indicate that those characters would be included (I don't remember any of them having names). Though it would have been cool if there'd been a "pirates" page for any pirate characters who don't have their own pages (the ones with very little to say about, though Angel Marie and Wall-Eye Pike were included and seem like characters with very little to say about).

When it comes to characters who were in Muppets Most Wanted but not in this book, I'm most surprised that Carlos and Monolo Flamingo aren't in the book. But maybe the Macarena number was added to a draft that came after the script draft he got.

Considering he's the Henson Company historian, I doubt it, though maybe you are right. I feel he should have at least been aware of Blind Pew.

19. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

20. Mad Monty fan

Here's who i think will be in the next book:
    1). 80's Robot
    2). Afghan Hound
    3). African Masks
    4). Alfredo and Hildegard
    5). Angel Marie