1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Character Encyclopedia

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

Here's who I'm hoping to see in it and who I can see being or staying in it if we do get a new edition in the future (my list is a little more realistic, though):
    1) 80's Robot
    2) Afghan Hound
    3) Andy & Randy
    4) Angel Marie
    6) Angus McGonagle
    7) Animal
    8) Annie Sue
    9) Baskerville
    10) Beaker
    11) Bean Bunny
    12) Beauregard
    12) Beautiful Day Monster
    13) Behemoth
    14) Big Mean Carl
    15) Big V
    16) Bill the Bubble Guy
    17) Birds
    19) Bobby Benson and his Baby Band
    19) Bobo
    20) Bossmen
    21) Brewster
    22) Bunsen
    23) Cactus Quartet
    24) Camilla
    25) Chickens
    26) Clifford
    27) Clodhoppers
    28) Clueless Morgan
    29) Constantine
    30) Holiday Time! (The Christmas Turkey, The Snowman, The Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future)
    31) The Cratchit Children
    32) Crazy Harry
    33) Doglion
    34) Dr. Julius Strangepork
    35) Dr. Teeth
    36) Dr. Phil van Neuter
    37) Droop
    38) Emily Bear
    39) Fazoobs
    40) Featherstone
    41) Fleet Scribbler
    42) Fletcher Bird
    43) Flower Eating Monster
    44) Floyd
    45) Flying Zucchini Brothers
    46) Foo-Foo
    47) Forcryingoutloud Bird
    48) Fozzie Bear
    49) Frackles
    50) Frog Scouts
    51) Gaffer
    52) George the Janitor
    53) Geri and the Atrics
    54) Gladys
    55) Gonzo
    56) Gorgon Heap
    57) Hilda
    58) Hobos
    59) Howard Tubman
    60) Jacques Roach
    61) Janice
    62) Javas
    63) Johnny Fiama
    64) Jowls and the Muppets Tonight Band
    65) J.P. Grosse
    66) Kermit the Frog
    67) King Rupert
    68) Koozebanians
    69) Lenny the Lizard
    70) Leo & Grump
    71) Leprechauns
    72) Lew Zealand
    73) Link Hothgrob
    74) Lips
    75) Lobsters
    76) Louis Kazagger
    77) Lubbock Lou and his Jughuggers
    78) Luncheon Counter Monster
    79) Lydia the Pig
    80) Mad Monty
    81) Mahna Mahna & the Snowths
    82) Mama Fiama
    83) Manolo & Carlo Flamingo
    85) Marvin Suggs & the Muppaphones
    86) Mary Louise (little girl)
    87) Mary Louise (old woman)
    88) Mean Mama
    89) Mildred Huxtetter
    90) The Moopets
    91) Miss Mousey
    92) Miss Piggy
    93) Monsters
    94) Mulch
    95) Muppy
    96) Mutations
    97) Newsman
    98) Nigel the Conductor
    99) Nigel the Director
    100) Ohboy Bird
    101) Ohreally Bird
    102) Old Joe
    103) Old Skyball Paint
    104) Old Tom, Real Old Tom & Dead Tom
    105) Paul Revere
    106) Penguins
    107) Pigs
    108) Pirates (Blind Pew, Black Dog, Calico, Spotted Dick, etc.)
    109) Pops
    110) Prairie Dog Glee Club
    111) Punch and Judy Puppets
    112) Quongo
    113) Rats
    114) Righton Bird
    115) Rizzo the Rat
    116) Robin the Frog
    117) Rowlf the Dog
    118) Rufus
    119) Sal Minella
    120) Sam & Friends (Sam, Yorick, Harry the Hipster, etc.)
    121) Sam Eagle
    122) Scooter
    123) Seymour
    124) Shakey Sanchez
    125) Snooky Blyer
    126) Sopwith the Camel
    127) Spa'am
    128) Splurge
    129) Statler
    130) Svengali
    131) The Swedish Chef
    132) Sweetums
    133) Talking Food
    134) Talking Houses
    135) Taminella Grinderfall
    136) Thog
    137) Timmy Monster
    138) Tom, Dick & Harry
    139) The Travelling Musicians (Leroy, T.R., Rover Joe & Catgut)
    140) Trumpet Girl
    141) Uncle Deadly
    142) Under the Sea (Molly & Melville, Walleye Pike, Goldfish, Shark, Octopus, etc.)
    143) Vendaface
    144) Waldorf
    145) Walter
    146) Whatnots
    147) Wanda
    148) Wayne
    149) Whaddasay Bird
    150) Woodland Creatures
    151) Youknow Bird
    152) Zelda Rose
    153) Zoot

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    ElizaSchuyler likes this.
  2. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I just noticed that on the page for Howard Tubman, it mentions that his first love is musical theater choreography. I guess that's meant to reference his role in It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie.

The original mock-up pages that were shown online included a picture from The Muppets' Wizard of Oz on Angel Marie's page. I wonder why that picture ended up not being included (perhaps they didn't want to acknowledge that film in this book... I don't really blame them).

Today I've been thinking of the possibility of a "Jim Henson Character Encyclopedia", and I've been thinking that if one came out, it should have an advertisement for The Muppets Character Encyclopedia (though this book doesn't have any print ads for other DK books). That way casual fans expecting Muppets will see that ad and know to look there (though there's still stuff that most likely wouldn't be included, like Bear in the Big Blue House and Sesame Street). Though I could see such a book having a lot more characters.

Duke Remington likes this.
  3. Eyeball

Eyeball Well-Known Member

Just got this last week,it's bloody amazing, not too disappointed that some of the more minor characters are missing, and I've found that it's great to lend out to would be fans.

4. Skekayuk

Skekayuk Member

I like the book. It's fun.
    I did smile on reading thebit in Annie Sue's entry about her having been working on the stage in various musicals. - I can't help thinking, that could be a subtle reference to her Muppeteer's work, and coincidentally, two or the three "musicals" mentioned are parodies of titles of musicals her Muppeteer has actually been in productions of at one time or another in the West End (The Pirates of Penzance and Mary Poppins). Is that really coincidence.

5. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

That's not the only inside joke that Craig Shemin snuck into the book.

Other examples include:
    -Lew Zealand's favorite fish is called "Jerry" (referring, of course, to Jerry Nelson)
    -Lydia the Pig's tattoos were done by Maury James (Jim Henson's full name was James Maury Henson and he actually drew all of Lydia's tattoos)
    -On the page for Lubbock Lou and his Jughuggers', it is said that the Gogolola Jubilee Jugband broke up following a dispute over whether or not to put a hole in a washtub (a subtle reference to Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas)
    -Nigel the Director got his training at the Peter Harris TV Academy--Elstree Campus (referencing both Muppet Show director Peter Harris and the Elstree studio in London, where The Muppet Show was filmed)

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  6. Skekayuk

Skekayuk Member

Thanks for pointing those out, I hadn't noticed those ones, But one other one I did notice was that Fletcher Bird trained at "The Royal Avian Dance Academy Of Covent Garden" - which is clearly a reference to The Royal Ballet (or should I say the British Royal Ballet) which is based at The Royal Opera House in Covent Garden, of which Graham Fletcher was a member of the company (and I believe sometimes teaches on their outreach work).

7. Mad Monty fan

Mad Monty fan Active Member

Even though Trumpet Girl dosen't psychically appear in the book and by that I mean get her own character section, she does have an appearance in the Muppet Theater section of the book.

8. minor muppetz

I wonder if she wasn't included because she's so obscure and there's not many good pictures of her, or if it's because she's basically nameless (the book does have other "nameless" characters, but their titles are known... I wonder if Craig Shemin even knew she was called Trumpet Girl in scripts), or if he actually didn't think to include here.

9. Harleena

Harleena Well-Known Member

I got it for my birthday this year, along with a bunch of MMW figures and an Electric Mayhem t-shirt…it's really good, and it has almost every single Muppet! From Afghan Hound to Zoot (Animal isn't first in the book, but you know. Kids only care about Animal these days…:halo:)

Also, Trumpet Girl is missing…:cry:

10. minor muppetz

One thing I wonder is, regarding first appearances, why did the book use the Muppets Tonight production order as opposed to the broadcast order? It seems like Muppet Wiki was used as a reference, and so in finding first appearances, the broadcast orders should have been used.

11. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Maybe the broadcast dates are harder to find? Muppets Tonight's airdates didn't seem very clear, because it got cancelled and re-aired on Disney Channel. I have no idea.

12. minor muppetz

After reading Craig Shemin's interview and seeing that they didn't want to use screen grabs if they didn't have to, I kept thinking about how every page has at least one screen grab (even for characters who should be easy to find three actual photos of), and kept wondering if he meant they wanted each page to include at least one photo that wasn't a screen grab or wanted the main picture to be a non-screen grab. But then I thought of something else: Many screen grabs are accompanied by information about the scenes in question, so perhaps that's why they included them in photos of main characters like Gonzo*, Animal*, Rowlf, and Scooter, because they wanted to include those moments.

*though I'm not really sure whether the images in question are screen grabs or photos taken for the storybooks/promotional purposes. Though the one on the Animal page seems to have a "faded" quality that most of the screen grabs have.

13. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

I know his thread is kind of outdated but has anyone seen that picture of Mildred Huxtetter before? It looks like it was taken for the book.