1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Green Album

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, Aug 15, 2011.

?

What is your favorite song from The Green Album?

1. The Muppet Show Theme - OK Go

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  2. Rainbow Connection - Weezer

15 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. Mahna Mahna - The Fray

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Movin' Right Along - Alkaline Trio

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  5. Our World - My Morning Jacket

8 vote(s)
    9.6%
  6. Halfway Down The Stairs - Amy Lee

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  7. Mr. Bassman - Sondre Lerche

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  8. Wishing Song - The Airborne Toxic Event

6 vote(s)
    7.2%
  9. Night Life - Brandon Saller

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  10. Bein' Green - Andrew Bird

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  11. I Hope That Something Better Comes Along - Matt Nathanson

10 vote(s)
    12.0%
  12. I'm Going to Go Back There Someday - Rachael Yamagata

8 vote(s)
    9.6%

1. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Well, it's technically a Muppet song. "Mr. Bassman" and "Halfway Down the Stairs" weren't originated by the Muppets, but they're here.
  2. Psammeadboi

Psammeadboi Active Member

So Disney owns the rights to all the Muppet songs, including those that do not fall under "The Muppets" characters umbrella?
  3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

4. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

I should warn you all right now that if you haven't ordered the fan pack offered by http://www.muppetsmusic.com/ (and I'm assuming most of you haven't): DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY.

The company that put up this website is not Disney but rather Topspin Media, a company that supposedly helps indie bands gain exposure and help them sell items. I did not realize this until my order had been placed. I tried to cancel my order after seeing the goods on this pack cheaper online but Topspin would not cancel, presumably since they charged on my debit card immediately. Now after doing a little internet research, it seems the site is a scam and they take their time shipping out items if they do so at all.

I find it despicable that they would do something like this and refuse to support this company anymore. In a few weeks, I am going to attempt to reverse the charge through my credit card company/bank in hopes I can get my $50 back. Shame on Topspin for ripping off fans of these great bands this way.
  5. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I agree with your Foo Fighter comment. I wouldn't say my taste skews to "girly sounding", just eclectic. Most the time my mp3 player is filled with Rancid and Ramones as a base for everything else. Green Album is a bit too mellow, but I still do like it a lot. It has a flow.

I know it's being sold through Starbucks and hope Hot Topic and every other sort of outlet carries it too. I still disagree that it's Hot-Topic-sounding. That would have resulted in more of a My Chemical Romance sound IMHO. Not that it would be a bad thing.
  6. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Lets agree to disagree :)

I'm just not a fan of singers that sound nice with high voices
    frogboy4 likes this.
  7. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

L:flirt:VE This!!!!

My favories are Wishing Song and Our World!
    But really I love all of these!!! Best album I've heard in a while!
    DrDientes likes this.
  8. drudo

drudo New Member

I enjoy the album as a whole, but I must admit that I don't recognize half the artists on it except in name.

"I'm Going to Go Back There Someday" had always been my favorite Muppet song. Rachael Yamagata is one of my favorite artists. And those two things paired together didn't let me down! A lovely rendition of the song.

There is one glaring missed opportunity here: They Might Be Giants. Disney has worked with them SO frequently, from kids albums to theme songs and whatever else. WHY couldn't they have had them on this album? They'd have knocked almost any one of these songs out of the park.
  9. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Ooh...good call! TMBG would have been an awesome inclusion and a collaboration that definately needs to happen at some point or another.

That is one very nice avatar, btw!
  10. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I've tried listening to it for a third time...I just really do not like it at all. And I'm a huge music fan. And major props for mentioning They Might Be Giants!
    OK Go, while I'm not into their sound, at least fits with the zanyness.
    Most the bands listed are from the Blink 182 period, who even listens to that stuff? They might as well have put Bush, Silverchair, Limp Bizkit and Stone Temple Pilots on there.

Here's a list of bands I think would have been a million times more fitting:

Florence and the Machine
    The B-52's
    Devo
    David Byrne
    LCD Soundsystem
    They Might Be Giants
    MGMT
    She And Him(Zoey Deschenel)
    Katy Perry(hey, why not?)
    Gorillaz
    Bloc Party
    Empire of the Sun
    Justice
    Two Door Cinema
    The National
    Arctic Monkeys
    Mumford and Sons
    The Decemberists
    Silversun Pickups
    Interpol
    Editors
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Amanda Palmer
    Franz Ferdinand
    The Black Keys
    Muse
    Arcade Fire
    Flaming Lips

Half these bands I don't even listen too, but I *know* music. This album would be selling like hot cakes if any number of these bands were on it.
  11. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Man... B52's covering the Muppet Show theme...

"IT'S TIME ...TO... MEET... THE.. MUPPETS... On THE MUPPET SHOW...TONI-I-I-I-IGHT!" (how do you type it to look like Fred's saying it?)

Yeah, I mean these bands are okay and all, but I wonder what other covers could have sounded like. Of course, there are worse bands and single musicians I could think of to cover anything. But if another Muppet cover happens, we need TMBG on it. Or even get the Barenaked Ladies back. They did a great job with La La La La Lemon...
  12. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

13. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

@Dr Tooth: Yeah there's still a lot of "comedic" type bands...or at least bands that dont take themselves too seriously besides Ok Go and Weezer. As mentioned They Might Be Giants, Barenaked Ladies, Bloodhound Gang, etc.

My theory is that Disney reps were pulling favors rather than thinking outside the box to what 1) would be a good fit 2) actually SELL and get people excited. Kids these days(not including fans of hot topic emo screamo or perry gaga bieber pop) want music with more substance than what people demanded in the 1990's and early 2000's. I go to big outdoor festivals, shows, etc. and I can't see how too many people could get excited over this cd outside of simply the Muppet brand stamped on it.
  14. quix

quix New Member

So, I have to admit that while I'm a big Muppets fan, I don't have anything near the depth and breadth of knowledge that a lot of you guys have. As has been pointed out both here and in dwmckim's review there are a lot of wonderful covers of Muppet's songs already out there, so I was wondering (and perhaps this should be moved to a new topic, but) what are your favorite covers of Muppet songs? dwmckim mentioned Cake's 'Mahna Mahna' for example and Ray Charles 'It's Not Easy Bein' Green'. So, if you were to build your own Muppets cover album, what would be on it?

Thanks!
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That said, the date4ness of the bands is probably due in part that this CD was supposed to come out 2 years ago.

I'm 50/50 with cartoon/entertainment covers. I have that old Saturday Morning Cartoon's Greatest hits compilation from the 90's... some of the songs are really good, some are ehh. I wish they had a 1980's counterpart. I was a little disappointed by, but I still enjoyed Weird Al's cover of George of the Jungle (I expected it to be a song parody or a polka version or something...)

My favorite cartoon theme song cover band I can't even buy the CD's of...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSor0z9afUs

Sigh... half the stuff they do is only something I could appreciate anyway...

I'd love to hear an Animetal style cover of Muppet and Sesame Songs.
  16. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I think this a fantastic and eclectic assortment of bands that seemed very interested in making Muppets music. OK Go has been one of my favorite bands for like 7 years now. I find They Might Be Giants and Barenaked Ladies to be too on-the-nose for a project like this. I'd actually find their inclusion to be kind of icky and trying too hard. They're more suited to Sesame IMHO. Obviously there are some strong reactions to this and everybody has a different idea of who should have recorded what and how this could have been made better, but it's doing very well on its own. It's the right mix for this venture. To each their own taste. This album is trying to reach out to just the right market...and the numbers reflect that it IS doing just that at the moment. Maybe some sort of follow-up will have more in it for some fans.

By the way, unless you are intent on giving Apple your hard-earned money, buy this on Amazon for $2 cheaper. Itunes doesn't give you anything extra other than a lighter wallet this time out.
  17. Muppetfan44

Muppetfan44 Active Member

I admit that I had my doubts about this album but after listening to it a couple of times I really enjoy it. The only thing I really don't like is the background music chosen for Halfway Down the Stairs. Amy Lee is fantastic but that robotic/techno junk in the background makes it seem like she's on an acid trip or something and really doesn't do anything for the song.

I plan to write a comprehensive review of the album and post it somewhere in the next few days, will post the link
  18. Muppetfan44

Muppetfan44 Active Member

I will say this though, with the artists on the album and the variations of the songs, fans are either going to love or hate this album but it seems like more people are on the love side and many people who are huge fans of the artists and not fans of the muppets really seem to like the new songs so that's a plus.
  19. CalciferBoheme

CalciferBoheme New Member

I like a decent number of the artists on the album... But I would lose my mind if the ones you named had been on here. The possibilities are so endless... how can we make this happen?
  20. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

A good first step would be to buy the album and allow the possibility of a follow-up to happen.
    frogboy4 likes this.