1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Season 1 Episode 101 - Pig Girls Don't Cry (Pilot)

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Sep 22, 2015.

?

What did you think of "The Muppets" series premiere "Pig Girls Don't Cry"?

1. Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

2. Bork bork! This episode was good.

3. Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

4. You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

1. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

I think having them separate gives a lot of space for the writers and performers to come up with good material. (Although in my heart I feel the same way Ruahanna does - that they should be and are in fact a perfect (if a bit dysfunctional couple). I am curious Ruahanna if this separation and Denise and Josh Groban etc brings the two to a better more connected relationship would you think it worth it? I know Muppet cannon is as flexible as dough, so in the next movie they will be playing an old married couple, but for the duration of this series maybe being apart will let us see some of Kermit's feelings (which he hides very well) and Piggy's vulnerability which she also hides but with less success than Kermit.

2. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

I just gotta wonder though. are they pretending to be broken up for the show and publicity or are they really not a thing anymore?

3. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Active Member

Obviously this was the pilot that aired on Youtube months ago but with more scenes but also edited and I knew it would be the case, I even said it when the 10 minute pilot aired on Youtube!

With that out of the way I loved it. I believe this show is mostly for the adult fans who grew up with the Muppets back in the 70's and 80's and that was why the Muppets cursed, that is why the Muppets had adult humor, and I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duke Remington likes this.
  4. Ladywarrior

5. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

I take no offense at your thoughts. I do want to point out a minor quibble with the review and with some others and a lot of comments that have surfaced about Zoot. In this episode when Zoot realizes he is in a meeting jumps up and says "My name is Zoot and I'm.." He is cut off by Floyd telling him it's a different meeting. Some folks have been confused - where does Zoot think he is? He think's he is at either an AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) or NA (Narcotics Anonymous) meeting. It is custom at these meetings for attendees to state their name and their addiction. This is splitting hairs here but so many have posted about Zoot being an alcoholic. As a recovering alcoholic I do not think he is. He is a stoner. Always has been. "Zoot skipped a grove again". The fact that he knows the protocol of meetings is actually a very positive sign. He is on the first step toward recovery. How funny and rewarding would it be if one of the long runners of the show is that Zoot gets clean (in the background - no need for a plot about it, but you could chart his progress). It's a way the show could be adult and be funny and do some good.

6. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yeah they did seem much meaner than usual, I didn't like that. But yeah overall i'm pretty happy with the pilot. It wasn't perfect,but what can you do:smirk:. I really don't like where Miss Piggy's character has been going recently.She's way more obnoxious and more full of herself than she used to be.

LinkLady77 likes this.
  7. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Actually, that's a good idea, maybe show or imply that Zoot is progressing through the rest of the twelve steps towards cleaning his act. Oh, and I liked the shot of :sing: and :flirt: talking about Imagine Dragons. Still don't know who that band is, but we got a moment of banter between the band's main members.

Duke Remington and minor muppetz like this.
  8. Ladywarrior

I'd still love to see if they give dr. teeth some plotline though I do NOT want them to give him a love interest. Yeah I know that sounds weird and it's not because I am a huge fan of him, it would just be weird.
    The Zoot thing was amusing and kind of cute especially floyd's comment about them not being in "that kind of meeting" he saved the saxaphonist from some real embarrassment.

9. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

Looking at real life late night chat the host(ess) does have some banter and rapport with the band, so perhaps if not a full plotline at least more involvement will happen.

10. Ladywarrior

I hope we get more goofy antics though. The thing with pepe and rizzo doing the dancing thing was the kind of weird random humor they're known for and I'd love to see more of it. It's always been my favorite thing about the muppets. The weird things they do. Or them doing a music number and it ends badly or weird things happen in the background of it.

MuppetSpot likes this.
  11. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

It's starting out kind of slow to me. But (since I'm a loyal fan )I'm giving it a chance. Who knows? Maybe next week will be funnier!:)

12. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Um, you do know that when Jim taped his pitch reel for TMS, he ended it with Kermit walking into frame, facing the camera, and saying, "What the #377 was that?!" Right?

13. Ruahnna

Ruahnna Well-Known Member

Kermit used to be the leader of the group--even if it took arm-waving hysteria to get them to listen to him. He isn't here.

He's a guy who can't get a show on the air without his ex, so the only way he can get back at her is by cheating on her with a younger, thinner, docile pig who panders to him and enables him. Piggy at least loved him enough to be honest with him.

In the old days, Kermit would have reined Piggy in professionally for the good of the show (because she was always at her best for him) and he would have reeled her in personally, all the while protesting his infatuation (which she didn't believe any more than we did.) The show would have been better for it, and Kermit wouldn't come across as a wimpy, whiny shadow of himself.

I was going to stay out of this, but here I am, and the thing I want most to ask Disney is this: What the heck don't you understand?

The Muppets (in which Kermit confesses that Piggy is the only one for him and always has been) is a huge success. Despite being down and out, Kermit is strong and determined, and he knows just what to say to get Piggy's goat. That only works short-term, however, and he eventually has to come face-to-face with the fact that--if he wants her and needs her--he needs to tell her. THAT makes them partners--in love, in life and in success, so there isn't any need for him to feel diminished. He's strong, she's strong, they're stronger together than they are apart.

Muppets Most Wanted, in which Kermit is a cringing apologist for the group, who truly cannot "handle" Piggy--is more of a dud. (I liked it okay, but--hey--I'm an obsessed muppet fan.) The MMW Kermit can't stand up to Piggy's ridiculous demands about the wedding, but the old Kermit could have. Where is the frog who survived a thousand wardrobe demands (a week!) and came out triumphant, and with the pig of his dreams in his show and in his arms? Where did THAT Kermit go?

EVERY time the (Disney) studio tries to make Piggy out to be nothing but a fat joke (You just had to get that fat joke in there, didn't you, Kermit? Although Piggy is right--you ARE looking a little paunchy yourself.) he just comes across as mean. And by ridiculing Piggy, whom his show "needs" to be successful, he is indirectly ridiculing the fans who can't get enough of her.

Where is the Kermit I know, who made the whole world fall in love with him while he was falling in love with Piggy?

14. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Piggy's harshness kind of bugged me during the show, but I found the entire show very funny, so what's not to like. Carl's talking head was the biggest laugh for me. And I loved the nods to the original TMS theme in the intro sequence. And the break-up scene was very well handled.

OH NO. Kermit said "H3ll"!!!!!! My childhood is over! Muppets can't say that word! All they can say is "Mahna Mahna" over and over til the end of times!

15. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yeah I think the breakup scene was actually my favorite one in the episode. Sadly I missed about the first minute or so of the episode,so I didn't get to see the intro.:p

16. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

I loved it! I don't know why, but I think Denise is HOT MAMA with or without glasses! I love her more than I love Miss Piggy!!!!

LinkLady77, beaker and Duke Remington like this.
  17. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Except that he did. In the scene. Where she demands crazy things about their wedding. And he snaps at her.

18. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

I liked it a lot! I grinned quite a bit at some of the jokes like Zoot's AA joke and an indirect sex joke from Kermit, yeah I also shook my head on that part. I laughed at Rizzo and Pepe dancing. I think they should have made more time for Imagine Dragons and Tom Bergeron, I would have loved it if Tom made it on Piggy's show! I don't really like the design for the Denise puppet and I think Denise comes on a little too strong for Kermit even stronger than Miss Piggy ever did in my opinion. Scooter's loyalty shines through again, but this time it backfires. Also, I'm tired of Kermit being portrayed as the bad guy in the relationship, I think he and Piggy always had trouble meeting in the middle and compromising. We'll see how their relationship works out later on.
    First, which pitch reel did the line come from? I'd like to see that for myself. This isn't the first time the "H" word was mentioned in a Muppet production. Harvey Korman mentioned the word towards Thog during a circus skit. Kermit made an indirect reference to it in the Marisa Barenson episode by saying "Some very warm places will freeze over!"

Bottom line is we all can have different opinions, I mean, we don't have to like every single Muppet project ever made. We'll see where the show goes. I'm liking it so far!

19. Ruahnna

Ruahnna Well-Known Member

That's the opposite of standing up to her.

When Piggy's was going on and on about the seat covers, what she was really saying was, "I want your attention. I want to know that I'm important to you, but I'm worried that I'm not, so I'm inventing 800 different reasons to come in here and demand your time. I'm worried that I'm not "enough" to compete with everything you do. Do you really love me?"

Instead of reassuring her, he barks at her. Piggy would have heard that as a "no," so she then resorts to her OTHER superpower--her divahood. She then becomes very demanding about her role in the show--needing attention from fans as a Band-Aid for what she really wants: Kermit's attention.

As for the new show, I'll watch, hoping for the "oh-sheesh-I'm-an-idiot" moment when he realizes he's been foolish and weak. I want him to come roaring back to life and take his place at the head of the muppets. Piggy respects strength, and she'd have given over to him on their date if he'd simply said, "Enough. The public wants you, but I want you, too. This is my time to be a lucky frog." She'd have melted and followed him anywhere.

20. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Kermit hasn't really been that much of the 'leader" of the group since Jim's passing: back in those days, Jim was the glue that held his company together, and in a sense, Kermit was the glue that held the mUppets together. Since then, the other performers have stepped ip to the plate in an effort to keep the Muppets as a whole alive after his passing, so with that in mind, the other Muppet characters are given more to do beyond being part of Kermit's company; it's kind of more of a truer ensemble now.
    Unless it's actually surfaced on the internet somewhere, I don't know that it's availab;lefor viewing, though it was mentioned in Brian Jay Jones's book.
    And, don't forget this line from the Happiness Hotel song:

"Still the management is cheerful, though the whole joint's gone to #377..."

Not to mention Long John Silver dropped it in MTI, which could easily be forgiven since he was, well, a pirate.

Branky and Muppet fan 123 like this.