1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Season 1 Episode 101 - Pig Girls Don't Cry (Pilot)

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Sep 22, 2015.

?

What did you think of "The Muppets" series premiere "Pig Girls Don't Cry"?

1. Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

2. Bork bork! This episode was good.

3. Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

4. You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

1. Ruahnna

Ruahnna Well-Known Member

You are right, Snowthy. It is more of an ensemble thing now, but Piggy is always pushed into the "outsider" camp.

For someone who couldn't remember anyone's name, Piggy sure comes through in a clinch--every time. (Good to "see" you here.)

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Oh, and another example of adult language being used in a Henson production? THE CUBE had both "#377" and "d @ m n" heard throughout, and this was still a year or two before you were really allowed to swear on network TV.

3. Erine81981

Erine81981 Well-Known Member

Ok, here is my two cents about the first episode.

1. I really enjoyed all the jokes. They were really funny and it did make me laugh several times through out the whole show.

2. Fozzie having to meet his girlfriends parents was hilarious. I want more of Fozzie and Becky. Funny stuff there.

3. Denice - I really didn't mind her one bit. I thought they did a good job introducing her. I liked how she acted and how she sounded. I love that she has a kinda country talk to her.

4. And we finally are able to find out why they broke up. I love it. It makes more sense.

My final thoughts are I really enjoyed it. Writers, scenery & the characters. All were absolutely perfect. I had seen all the ads and the 10 minute pilot and I still enjoyed it. Thanks ABC and I really hope that it does well.

Duke Remington likes this.
  4. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Rizzo tried to get Yolanda in MTM, but people say that is fine, and not adult, very kid friendly.

5. Big Bird Fan

Big Bird Fan Active Member

Been awhile since I last posted, but I was so excited about the new show I wanted to share my thoughts.

I really hope Fozzie dating is something we see more of this season. I LOVE how they're finally doing something different with the character.

We need more Sam. This is the perfect job for him and I love his notes already.

Just seeing so many of the Muppets again was nice. Being able to see something new with them every week still feels too good to be true.

The adult humor was a little jarring at first, but in a GOOD way, to me at least. It was adult, but still something older kids could watch. I know not everyone likes it, but I think it's great that this isn't some kids show. I agree with those who think Jim Henson would've liked this.

I've always been a fan of the Kermit/Piggy relationship, but I think breaking them up for the show was a smart move. We all know they'll eventually get back together, but it makes better TV to have everyone wonder when that'll finally happen. The break up itself was handled well in my opinion. I assumed it'd just be some big loud fight, but the way it happened felt very real which made it much sadder than I thought it'd be. Piggy didn't even yell or anything after it happened, just stood there stunned and hurt. :(

Obviously, Kermit and Piggy were my favorite part of the show. It was nice to know that Piggy had a good reason for acting the way she did and she wasn't just being some super diva. The conversation the two had near the end was nice and I'm excited to see where they go from here.

For a first episode I thought they did a great job. I probably would've found it funnier if I hadn't seen that 10 minute pitch movie since they reused a lot of the jokes. But as long as the stories stay this interesting it doesn't matter to me how many laughs I get out of it. :)

6. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

OK, where to begin...

Being a huge Muppet fanatic, I thought the first episode was pretty good and enjoyable. I enjoyed pretty much everything from Fozzie trying so hard to impress Becky's parents, to Elizabeth's annoyance with Scooter's tour, Kermit and Piggy discussing their relationship issues...there really was a great amount of classic Muppet humor!

At this point, I can't help but wondering how successful the show will be, and how other people feel about the mockumentary style we'll be seeing in the show-I personally have mixed feelings about the Muppets using cutaway interviews.

In the end, I feel like this show has some potential and hopefully it will get better as the season progresses on.

7. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

From my perspective, Piggy's the "outsider" because she sees herself as really the only one with any talent value. Fozzie's a terrible comic, Gonzo's acts never work; Piggy's the only one with any actual potential. It's only natural that she'd find her own venues of success outside of the Muppet clan.

Duke Remington and Drtooth like this.
  8. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Loved it! Can't wait for more!

9. D'Snowth

Again, that's my problem: practically every single-camera sitcom on television since THE OFFICE has been in the mockumentary style, as if its an industry standard now; and Disney brought in writers/producers from THE OFFICE and MODERN FAMILY, so of course they're going to try to make THE MUPPETS like their other shows. I find the mockumentary style to be played . . . very played . . . and it just feels so out of place on television. Works fine for movies, like the stuff Christopher Guest used to crank out, but for weekly series, where you like to be able to invest in the characters and their foibles, the mockumentary style gives shows an artificial and disjointed feel that takes you out of the atmosphere of the show . . . not unlike the problem with some live audience shows where the audience goes ballistic whenever the popular character enters the scene, and the actors just freeze and wait for the audience to settle down before continuing with the scene. SANFORD AND SON was a notorious offender of that whenever anybody entered the scene.

10. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

So finally getting to watch a new muppet show made me really happy, even if it had been a really bad show, I would still want to watch it. Overal, I liked it, great episode.

Pros

• Fozzie and Becky was a great plot, and meeting their parents was hilarious.
    • Sam the Eagle as the censor works really well.
    • The intro was really cool.
    • Lots of characters were used, I mean in this half hour, we got more lines of dialogue from minor characters then we got in the last two muppet movies, Dr. Teeth, Janice, Zoot, and Floyd all getting lines. Bobo popping up, and saying funny stuff, and Big Mean Carl was hilarious.
    • You worthless piece of fur was the funniest joke of the episode.
    • Great puppetry.
    • Tom Bergeron was the funniest guest star, hilarious in every part he was in.
    • Many subtle references, people call them edgy and forced, but I thought they were hilarious.
    Cons

• No Rowlf, I know he will be in other episodes, and it is not really a complaint on the episode, but I wanted to see him in the pilot.
    • Some of the pop culture references felt weird and forced.
    • I just didn't like the woman on the laptop, something about it felt off, probably not a main character though.
    • They cut out the part with Kermit in the car, which was probably my favorite part of the short pilot.

Overall, for a pilot, which I rarely think are really good for most shows I watch. It was really good, they have some minor problems, but nothing that hurts the show, great overall, really want to watch Fozzie and Jay Leno in the next episode of the show.

Score: 8/10

Branky, Muppy and Beakerfan like this.
  11. Oscarfan

30 Rock, Suburgatory, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Goldbergs, The Middle, black-ish, Fresh Off the Boat - all single camera sitcoms in "The Office" era that aren't mocumentaries. Say what you will about their formats (the ABC ones are very narration-based), but your argument doesn't really hold water.

I honestly can't think of any other mocumentary series other than The Office, Parks and Rec and Modern Family. Arrested Development is kinda-sorta, but not in universe.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  12. D'Snowth

If THE MIDDLE is Patricia Heaton's show, then yeah, I think it is mockumentary, unless they changed it. Or I dreamed it. Or some combination of the two.

13. Oscarfan

It's not a mocumentary, nor was it ever. She narrates it, but it's not presented in a documentary format. If anything, ABC has too many of those types of sitcoms.

14. WalterLinz

WalterLinz Well-Known Member

I thought it was okay. It felt pretty short and I kinda already knew what was gonna happen in some parts, but I agree it's not bad for a first episode, and hopefully next week's episode will be better, as some critics stated.

Here's what I liked:
    • The intro was pretty cool.
    • I'm starting to enjoy the set (and the show itself) of Up Late, and I liked how the camera followed Piggy through the hallways and offices backstage.
    • :attitude:: "Can't say h***."
    • Fozzie eating dinner with Becky (aw, I was kinda growing with Margo Harshman in the role, but I'm starting to like Riki here!) and her parents ("He likes the salmon!"), and I can't wait to see how Fozzie's character and relationship with Becky will grow throughout the show.
    • Elizabeth Banks shoving Scooter out of the golf cart.
    • Tom Bergeron. Nuff said.

Oh my goodness I almost forgot about Denise!! I liked her, she seems really sweet and the total opposite of Piggy. Speaking of Piggy, I also look forward to see how she and Kermit will work together in the series.

Overall, I'm happy that The Muppets are back on the small screen, and as I said before at least I'll have something to look forward to each week.:)

15. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

MY FAVORITE MOMENTS, IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

- Zoot's moment at the Meeting

- Fozzie behind the wheel again

- Fozzie meeting Becky's parents

- Rizzo romancing Yolanda

- :halo: "Animal think Frog plan is Dicey!" :) "Oh yeah, Animal got Better Idea!?"

- Uncle Deadly rolling the lint roller on Kermit's skin :) "Ow Ow!, Skin Skin!"

- Any moment with Gonzo, Bobo and Big Mean Carl

- Scooter and Elizabeth

- Kermit loosing his temper again

- :attitude: "Can't say ****"

- Brilliant Acting by Steve Whitmire and Eric Jacobson in :) & :mad:'s breakup scene!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  16. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

Okay. I admit it. I watched the show the naughty way. But I swear to Frog that when it finally airs on Aussie TV, I will watch it the legal way and do my part to keep the ratings up.

I loved it. The comic timing of the jokes was spot on, Elizabeth Banks was great, Imagine Dragons were great, Tom Bergeron was great. As expected, I already adore Denise and I can't wait to see more of her and her relationship with our favourite frog. The Muppeteers were, of course, the standout.

But there is one scene that just nailed it for me: The Break-Up Scene.

Oh my Frog. That was the most intense thing I have ever watched. It had to be the greatest interaction Steve and Eric had ever performed between Kermit and Piggy. You could see that even though Kermit was the one breaking it off, he was absolutely heartbroken to be doing so. And those few moments after he walks away and you just watch Piggy let it sink in, your own heart breaks! It made me tear up and almost made me wish it didn't happen!

Congratulations Eric Jacobson. You finally found your Piggy.

17. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Thinking back and hearing her voice in my head, I agree with Erine81981, Denise is more of a country-style city girl. And her joke about the dinner she got shows she knows comedy.

Another little thing that made me laugh/cheer was when Fozzie replied to Carl (Becky's dad) that he got his salmon at Costco, probably because that's where we shop for most of our food. He should go to the cafeteria, they make the best French fries. That's also sadly the only place I can get a cup of good frozen yogurt. :insatiable:

Duke Remington, Branky and Mo Frackle like this.
  18. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

That break up scene!!!!! Oh wow I loved that break up scene.

I don't really know what the problems are, and I really don't care. This show was great. I really think Jim would like what this show is trying to do.
    I'm also surprised no one has mentioned the nod to Richard Hunt by haveing Scooter giving the tour, which is something Richard would always do. The Kermit and Piggy relationship is going to be very interesting to watch. You can tell they both stll have feelings for each other, but both need to change and grow before getting back together. Loved the show! More please!

Duke Remington, WalterLinz and Branky like this.
  19. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

Another line I remembered this morning and still made me laugh: (and I may be paraphrasing here) Scooter: Kermit and I have worked together for so long that when he gives me a look I know - that I need to go and ask him what that look was all about.

20. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Er, I think it was...

Scooter: "Kermit and I have worked together so long that I can anticipate when he gives me the look. And when he gives me the look, I have to go and ask him what it means."

I'm pleasantly surprised by the number of Muppets that got moments in this first episode alone and look forward to next week's episode.