1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Season 1 Episode 104 - Pig Out

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Oct 13, 2015.

?

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Pig Out"?

1. Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

2. Bork bork! This episode was good.

3. Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

4. You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

1. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

well at least the muppets got to do some singing, it's been a long time...

2. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

I loved it! Beaker imitating Miss Piggy and Swedish Chef mocking Kermit was the best! I really thought Miss Piggy would completely crash the party, but in the end, everyone paid the price! The whole karaoke scene was fantastic, I was smiling the whole time! Now, the big question, what happened between Janice and Floyd? I never knew that Sam would have a crush on anybody, much less Janice!

I was beginning to feel bad for Statler, but he had to make Fozzie gullible and sucker him out of his kindness! I should've known that was going to happen. And all this talk about Kermit being manipulative, think about it, Miss Piggy has manipulated Kermit for years! I see this as Kermit giving Miss Piggy a taste of her own medicine!:shifty:

3. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

I agree with you about Kermit giving Piggy a taste of her own medicine! He's worked with her for so many years, he knows how her mind works now!

LouisTheOtter and Duke Remington like this.
  4. Ladywarrior

no it felt that the day after their night out drinking turned them all into hive minded jerks.

Ruahnna and heralde like this.
  5. Ruahnna

Ruahnna Well-Known Member

I'm feeling a bit like Sam here. I WANT to like this show. I do. But I can't enjoy the things that are worthwhile--some of which were mentioned above by other posters--because I'm too upset about Kermit acting like a complete jerk. Not just a jerk--a total what-Statler-said.

Someone said in another thread that Piggy doesn't seem to have any friends. If that is so, it's Kermit's fault. Piggy clearly excels at making friends outside the muppet troop, as her interactions with all the guest stars attest. She could make friends within the group as well, but Kermit either isolated her so he could manipulate her or sleep with her--or both--and he can't let Piggy see that others treat her better than he does. He separates her on purpose, but--hey! As long as she's making him money, he's not worried about her happiness. If she gets lonely, he can always pimp her out to another costar.

Character matters. At least, it matters to me, and I am revolted by the way Kermit smirks and mugs and BRAGS about how he once again left Piggy high and dry.

And we're supposed to believe that HE broke up with her because she was insensitive? Who is writing this--Pepe?

If Kermit were my actual friend (and I always thought he was), this would be it. If he doesn't want to date Piggy, he should butt out of her personal life. He's the guy--that guy--who always seems like a nice guy until you notice what a weasel he is when dating. Give me Rowlf any day--he's a hound and owns it. Kermit is an actor, and right now he's just ACTING like he's a decent guy.

Davina and heralde like this.
  6. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Whoever's writing this, I don't get the impression they understand Kermit and Piggy's relationship at all. They seem to think Kermit's been a victim or something for all these years and now he's getting his chance at pay back. Which couldn't be more horrifyingly wrong.

Davina, Ruahnna and Ladywarrior like this.
  7. Ladywarrior

^ see I KNEW there was something about this episode that rubbed me the wrong way. What did they do to kermit anyway? I have an issue on both sides though.
    Miss Piggy could be a lot nicer to the others and make friends without going overboard. yes when she wants to be she can be a great friend but mostly she's just vain and mean and kermit's characterization in this episode doesn't help.
    They did so well last week and now they're doing it again. Kermit is supposed to be a nice guy and CARE about people. I am not sure Jim henson would be happy about this flanderization.

8. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Getting karate chopped all the time, being tricked into marriage, being unwanted-ly advanced upon. He sure hasn't suffered at all.

LouisTheOtter, Drtooth, Muppy and 3 others like this.
  9. heralde

Unwanted-ly? I don't think so.

10. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

I really liked this episode . . . up until Kermit bragging how he's a master at manipulating and the sinister chuckle. That was cringeworthy.

11. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying these shows, but there's something about the plotting and the amount of story they're giving that isn't quite feeling right with me.

It's almost like the case of M11 and MMW. Both films had a lot of plot threads and ideas that couldn't fit into a whole movie. This episode felt kinda the same. I get the entire plot and how it worked out, but I feel like some of it could've been fleshed out more; maybe the ending where everyone comes in late.

I still laughed a number of times, so that's good. The Swedish Chef rocked it this episode. And I loved the gag with Bunsen and Beaker's outfits. Speaking of which, Beaker nailed that modulation of "I Got You Babe."

It was specifically "arse over teakettle," which is a often-quoted phrase.

Muppy and Pig's Laundry like this.
  12. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yeah Steve Whitmire is a great singer.

13. Ladywarrior

I guess the Muppets never heard of a designated driver. I mean ALL of them got severely plastered.

sarah_yzma, Ruahnna and heralde like this.
  14. heralde

And btw just the other week I was predicting something very like this drunk thing and being told it wouldn't happen. ;)

Davina and Ruahnna like this.
  15. Ladywarrior

Because it seemed like the most ridiculous thing and it STILL IS!

heralde and Ruahnna like this.
  16. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Darn you Google store post the show already!

17. Big Bird Fan

Big Bird Fan Active Member

Another great episode. Shame we have to wait an extra week for the next one.

The Statler plot got me thinking. Obviously he was just manipulating Fozzie, but I think there was some truth in that no one but Fozzie visited him. I think deep down he feels lonely sometimes, but heckling Fozzie is just too hard a habit to break. Hopefully we get more :sleep::boo: because I think this is the first time either of them have been fleshed out.

Looks like Kermit is starting to warm up to Piggy a bit more. :) Just a matter of time...

I wonder if the writers realized that the "EM smokes pot" joke was starting to get old. I don't think they referenced drugs once, and instead felt more like individual characters.

And speaking of... Sam has a crush on Janice?! I never would've paired them together in a million years! But it's an interesting way to do something new with Sam, so hopefully it wasn't just a one episode thing.

18. Ruahnna

Ruahnna Well-Known Member

Steve's Kermit has always been more comfortable being a jerk. Kermit could be snide and frequently eruptrws into arm-waving hysteria on TMS, but it was always tempered by a sweetness that was part of his character. Was.
    When Steve took over, things took a turn for the mean. I'm not saying Steve is mean OR snarky--I'm sure he's very nice--but his interpretation of Kermit has always been more likely to bite than kiss.
    The funny thing is--by and large--audiences don't like it. Eventually--and you can see this time and time again in the muppets' history--the viewing public seems to hit some sort of "im tired of the obnoxious frog" saturation point, at which time some writer or Disney executive says "whatsamatta. The frog is bombing." Cue Ms Piggy, who allows Kermit to redeem himself by being all lovey-dovey, and ratings soar.
    It has always looked to me (just my opinion here) as though Steve favors the "pigs are fat and stupid" camp, and his natural humor seems a lot more rough than Jim's. Jim Lewis is another one who seems to find humor in Kermit being mean to Piggy just because picking on fat chicks--who are obviously stupid, otherwise they wouldn't be fat, right?--is always fun and good for a rude laugh.
    This is always troublesome to me, because it goes against the whole "our differences make us strong" idea that is keystone to the muppets appeal. (Unless, of course, you're Piggy, in which case your differences only make it acceptable to ridicule you and make fat jokes.)
    I never worried, because critical mass always seemed to right what seemed wrong to me, and either a movie or a public appearance or something always seems to drive Piggy and Kermit back together again. "The Muppets" thrived on the reinvigoration of the Kermit-Piggy dynamic, with Piggy being self-actualized and deciding not to go back to the frog who NEEDS her but doesn't WANT her. Contrast that with psycho-pig who trashes the studio because of sharpies.

It dawned on me while I was writing the above what has seemed off and out-of-place.
    The Muppets actually treated the muppets like adults.
    It's "the muppets" who seems to equate puruile and mean with "grown up."
    Ru, who is Still grateful there are always books when television is just stupid.

Davina, heralde and Ladywarrior like this.
  19. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Here are the Muppet relationships at there finest. Notice Floyd calling Janice his woman.

Ruahnna, Ladywarrior and heralde like this.
  20. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

Pig's Laundry likes this.