The Muppets Episode 4 - Pig Out

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Pig Out"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Charming....

Yes, I get that it's a joke and no I'm not a prude (big South Park fan here). But I can't stand that juvenile jaded Internet humor. It's not clever, it's not articulate, certainly not original; it takes literally two seconds of the most shallow thoughts the human mind can muster. People who write that stuff don't live life. They just sit back and mock anyone who does so they themselves don't have to risk getting hurt.
Ehhh... no. Those articles on Cracked usually point out gaping flaws in movies and TV. Sometimes pointing out how unintentionally offensive something is. The Revenge of the Nerds one was frighteningly accurate. Rape is not romance. Stalking isn't romance. I usually have a bug up my butt when it comes to what Hollywood writers think is "romantic," especially considering anything that comes out currently is picked apart and dissected for interpretive offense. The Black Widow nontroversy being one of them. But you look at these old movies and you realize how shocking some of the things they portray as positive are. And while it's on a scale of how PC things are, sometimes certain events paint these things much more sinister than they were intended.

But as far as the Kermit and Piggy relationship always was, it's up to personal interpretation. The relationship was always pretty comedically abusive, one sided, and overall dysfunctional on the original TV series. And that was funny and it worked for the show. Then the movies come out, and they're far more sweet and loving because that's good storytelling. Then the dysfunctionality melted away in the 80's (unless you count Muppet Babies), and then it was somehow brought back in the late 90's. I interpret the relationship as it's only going to work if the two characters get over themselves. Every so often they don't, and it causes a huge rift.

I'd hate to see them become Mickey and Minnie and their completely celibate marriage of nonconflict. Daisy and Donald have always been a more interesting couple anyway. They have a love hate relationship with each other, and it's more interesting and funny.

Isn't funny how Denise was only in the first episode?
That's my major issue with the show so far. They build things up, but they haven't really followed through on yet. Kermit and Denise, Fozzie and the human, Gonzo failing to find romance. Those seem to be some good concepts to follow up on. The one sided crush Sam has on Janice seems to be a good thread to follow on. I could see it playing out that Janice is with Floyd, and that she's one of those sweet types that don't want to hurt anyone's feelings when they're trying to be that nice to her, and slowly trying to turn Sam down without hurting him. I'd love to see these things play out more, but we're only a few episodes in, so we don't know if they're taking it slow and we'll see that some day.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Eh...yes. Gaping flaws = nitpicking, an inability to suspend disbelief, and a huge misunderstanding of how fictional drama is (and must be) very different from real life.

But as far as the Kermit and Piggy relationship always was, it's up to personal interpretation.
No, it is not. Not everyone's opinion gets its own trophy.

The relationship was always pretty comedically abusive, one sided, and overall dysfunctional on the original TV series.
It's called cartoon violence. And on no planet was it one sided. It's called reading between the lines.

I'd hate to see them become Mickey and Minnie and their completely celibate marriage of nonconflict.
Me too. And if you think that's what we want, then we haven't been understanding each other at all.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
That's my major issue with the show so far. They build things up, but they haven't really followed through on yet. Kermit and Denise, Fozzie and the human, Gonzo failing to find romance. Those seem to be some good concepts to follow up on. The one sided crush Sam has on Janice seems to be a good thread to follow on. I could see it playing out that Janice is with Floyd, and that she's one of those sweet types that don't want to hurt anyone's feelings when they're trying to be that nice to her, and slowly trying to turn Sam down without hurting him. I'd love to see these things play out more, but we're only a few episodes in, so we don't know if they're taking it slow and we'll see that some day.
Actually , Fozzie's girlfriend Becky,I think her name was,is going to be in the next episode.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I enjoyed Fozzie's conflict with Statler and the latter's taking advantage of him, though I was hoping for Foz to get back at him one way or another. I also enjoyed the little crush Sam had on Janice.

And as for Denise, I'm thinking the writers don't want to force her into every episode for fear of audience backlash.

Drtooth

Reaction score
With all due respect to other MC regulars who disagree with me on this point, count me in the camp that doesn't find it blasphemous that some of the Muppets might enjoy a drink now and then. (I would have stopped watching the Muppets decades ago if that was the case.) Like Muppet Master a few posts back, the biggest issue I had with the Rowlf's Tavern scene was the inexcusable lack of, well...ROWLF!
I did some thinking about that, and knew this would be an issue with some. I noticed something in that sequence. You saw them sip drinks, but the only one that was visibly drunk is Pepe. And the only one with a legit hangover (no matter what shape you're in, staying up late and waking up early will be extremely painful) was Yolanda. And I can see that because they're both tiny, they probably have a low tolerance. I could see both getting completely hammered off of one small cocktail or decent sized beer. I think they found the medium here of showing just enough but not too much. Further more, we all have to remember this is a show about making a show written by writers of a show. Some of their interoffice and out of office bits like this come strictly from a write what you know basis.

And I was also expecting Rowlf too. Probably got cut out last minute.

And as for Denise, I'm thinking the writers don't want to force her into every episode for fear of audience backlash.
I feel that's the case. If Denise was in too many episodes, she'd come off Mary Sue-y. Seems she should be named checked every so many episodes and mention of her relationship with Kermit every so often.

jobi71

Reaction score
Just a few thoughts on this episode. Overall I enjoyed it. I believe I read that the first three episodes were filmed and the fourth was at the table read point before the pilot aired. I view these four as a set. They needed to introduce the format, the show within a show, how our main characters would fit in, introduce some of the characters casual fans may not know/remember (i.e. Deadly, Yolanda, Carl), plus establish the major plot of Kermit and Piggy's break up. And of course demonstrate that the show can be funny. I think they did pretty good on these topics. What I would like to see now is some long form character arcs and some payoff for the various set ups. I want Kermit and Piggy's break up to mean something. I thought we were seeing the characters at their most base and all of their bad qualities exaggerated so that over the season we would see them grow and mature back to closer versions of the characters. Not much in that regard has happened in 1-4. Maybe it will begin in episode 5 - the first one they have been able to revise since the pilot's airing. I would like to see more of Miss Piggy's star power. She is every bit as talented and driven as Kermit. She shares his desire to sing and dance and make millions happy. Let's see some of Up Late with Miss Piggy and see why everyone loves her. Yes she can still face plant into a cake now and then, but she hasn't been a star this long for no reason. There are plenty of subplots that could form longer arcs: Sam's infatuation with Janice; Zoot's recovery; Bunsen and Beaker's friendship/bromance/romance. Take advantage of the form. More Gonzo. More Rowlf. He is the only main character not involved in the show within a show. He has a unique perspective. Figure out what to do with Denise. I wonder if it is a case of Fleet Scribbler syndrome and they don't know how to write/develop the character. Yolanda, Carl and Uncle Deadly are being used perfectly. Change nothing for them. I look forward to see how the show develops in its second phase. I also look forward to The Great Pumpkin next week. I hear this time he actually shows up. ;-)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Unsolved questions...

Did Kermit ever get Yolanda that eighth of an Advil for her hangover headache?
Did Scooter get a pair of replacement glasses? Or will he be left to stumble around searching for them like Velma?
Did anyone eat the Chef's Swedish sushi? Or will he have to peddle it as leftover pickled herring at the ESPN cafeteria?

The Muppet world may never know.

LinkLady77

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVED the karaoke! The only overplayed karaoke song missing was "Summer Lovin'" from Grease. It would have been cute seeing Kermit and Denise do that one...LOL. I hope to see Denise again soon. We've seen a lot of Andy and Randy, I'm waiting for them to bug "Aunt Piggy" with some sort of hijinks. Would like to see other certain pigs as well...hee hee. Looking forward to the next one!