1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Season 1 Episode 106 - The Ex-Factor

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Nov 3, 2015.

?

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "The Ex-Factor"?

1. Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

2. Bork bork! This episode was good.

3. Mee mee. This episode was so-so

4. You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Oh my God I love this episode! Details at 11.......

2. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Active Member

I'm smiling within the first 4 minutes. The Muppets seem nicer, Piggy seems more chill...

I like how Animal actually addresses Zoot by name. I don't think I've ever seen that before. It makes them seem more tight-nit.

I thought Zoot's cluelessness was genuinely funny. For some reason last week's episode did absolutely nothing for me but this episode was really good. I like it when the Muppets kind of seem like clueless, unsure children. Like when someone in the background requested Kermit get Denise a stapler as a present; Yikes!, lol. Piggy was great in this episode; this confident, nice yet snarky, in-control Piggy is cool.

Kermit was amazing in this episode. For once they actually did him right. This episode made me really happy. I thought I was just being once of those old, bitter people that wouldn't like anything they did just because it isn't the original group running things, but I'm glad to realize I'm not because they actually did good for once.

It seems like I'm the minority of disliking the whole Scooter mama's boy thing, but what else is new? They're adding a second layer of depth to all of these characters. He was already kind of lame to being with; they didn't have to bring him down another notch. It's kind of weird; Scooter was the clueless gopher on The Muppet Show who Kermit only gave a second thought because his uncle owned the theater, and now Kermit is taking life advice from him.

I didn't like Dr. Teeth being mean. It was funny when he was trying to grab Floyd's mustache, but it's like Scooter in the first episode; uncharacteristically mean.

The resolution to the EM plot was fine. Zoot was good in this episode, but it's sad to know something as simple as Kristin Chenoweth asking a question can tear them apart.

Janice was a bit too "out there" for my liking.

To me, there's no question :) & :mad: will get back together eventually. Kermit = Pam, Piggy = Jim and Denise = Roy. I just get the impression that Kermit isn't 100% all-in with Denise and he and Piggy will always be naturally drawn to each other.

I don't know. I feel like if Chenoweth wasn't there they wouldn't have had anything to say.

I have to agree with Ladywarrior here. All Chenoweth did was ask how long Floyd and Jancie were together and then Dr. Teeth got uncharacteristically rude, Janice got way too cosmic (I understand this is a new twist they are taking on her character), they actually did Floyd right for once and I like what they're doing with Zoot. I can't help but notice that all of the characters who are being performed by their original performers are doing the best so far.

I never saw it that way, but there is some dynamic that doesn't make it feel right. Janice should not be passed around between each member in the group. The EM are not that low.

I kind of like how there are subdivisions of the characters. There's Kermit, Piggy, Scooter, Deadly and then there's Gonzo, Rizzo, Pepé and Chip and then the more obvious groups like the EM.

@charlietheowl OMG. Is your signature from 'Does Anybody Love You?' by Todd Rundgren?!

Now to travel into the "Kushell exits" thread to see what that's all about. *puts on hard hat*

3. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Yes! I love Todd Rundgren, especially that 1973-1974 period stuff.

Blue Frackle likes this.
  4. Blue Frackle

OMG.

charlietheowl likes this.
  5. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

I love in the scene when :D pulls on :sing:'s mustache and Kristin tries to break it up you can see :D's Long Skinny Arms stretching behind her![​IMG]

Duke Remington and Muppy like this.
  6. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

blue frackle THAT is the biggest issue. It seems they're trying to make janice seem "empowered" but it makes her look cheap. I mean yeah she's the only female member but I think she has more self respect than to whore herself out like that. It isn't funny it makes her seem trashy.
    Like I have said before my biggest beef with this show's characterization of EM is making them all one dimensional stereotypes. Making floyd a conspiracy theorist, making zoot a clueless stoner Janice being this weird new age.. thing? it greatly bothers me. :( I think these guys had more to heir characters than just that kind of thing. They seem to be the Family Guy versions of themselves...

heralde and Blue Frackle like this.
  7. ploobis

8. ploobis

9. Blue Frackle

You are 100% right. Those guys didn't even have those things to their characteristics though, that's the worst part. :( The only pass I could give them on is Zoot because he never really had anything going for him other than the silence, mystery and occasional grumble. It was surreal to hear him say more than five words in a row, and I'm fine with what they're doing with him.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  10. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Active Member

loved this episode Especially when The Electric Mayhem dumped Chenoweth in the Desert !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dwayne1115 likes this.
  11. dwayne1115

I really love this episode! Piggy was awesome in this this was a different side to Piggy but I loved it! I don't not hate Denise, but I dont like her. She seems nice enough but I will always be in support of Kermit and Piggy as a couple.
    The band! I think some people have the wrong ideas about the characters in the band. This episode really showcased ALL of them wonderfully! Welcome to the band Lips I'm glad your finally coming out of your shell and talking. Again loved this episode!

12. dwayne1115

I could not have said that better myself!

oknazevad and sarah_yzma like this.
  13. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

AGREED. It's been 40 years, having a couple boyfriends ain't no thang.

oknazevad and Duke Remington like this.
  14. Ladywarrior

Men who sleep around are whore too, man whores. either way I still think janice would be the type to be faithful to the person she is with. But that is just me and I'm just an old fashioned little moral prude.

heralde likes this.
  15. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I was having a conversation about this the other day. It wasn't about the Muppets, but it was about how all of pop culture is being reduced to short hand Family Guy-esque references, rather than nuanced and developed character traits.

Blue Frackle likes this.
  16. heralde

Agreed. Yes, the EM were hippies, but they were also Muppets. They don't sink to that level of human frailty (which is something I've already said this show is getting wrong).

Now, that is not saying they're for children and that is not saying they have to be all perfect. I'll repeat what Richard Hunt said, "Jim spoke to the part of grown ups that was childlike." The Muppet Show characters balance the fine line of adult wit and endearing innocence. Go too far in either direction and the character isn't themselves anymore.

Blue Frackle and Ladywarrior like this.
  17. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

I saw no indication of Janice being a harlot. Simply she and the good Doctor were an item at some point prior. Probably before her and Floyd met.

I loved it, but my head cannon is far more drug filled for the EM. I like to think of them as a conglomerate of every 70's rocker Behind the Music special. I don't need the sordid details, but I know what went down.

18. heralde

Problem is, this show thinks you do. ;)

19. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

Don't tempt me with smut that isn't there, Brunt.

20. Ladywarrior

Ewwww sarah I don't need a mental image of puppet pronz. ew eww eww