1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Season 1 Episode 107 - Pig's in a Blackout

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Nov 10, 2015.

?

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Pig's in a Blackout"?

1. Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

45 vote(s)
    91.8%
  2. Bork bork! This episode was good.

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. Mee mee. This episode was so-so

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

1. MuppetGuy75

MuppetGuy75 Active Member

I thought the moment between Kermit and Rowlf was absolutely golden (especially Rowlf's invitation to chew on a shoe) but that was all squashed when the final scene of the show featured Kermit in his backyard singing "Rainbow Connection". The writers are doing a fantastic job!!! Love it! :)

2. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

I completely lost it when Piggy slipped over in the butter and Chef just cracks up laughing!!!

3. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

This is my absolute favorite episode so far!! But like I said on another thread, the critics should have waited to judge the show because this week's and last week's episode have been great.Maybe the show dosen't need to be relaunched at all,maybe the show was getting better on its own.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    oknazevad, FletchySRF3088 and Muppy like this.
  4. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

I am not ashamed to admit it, but I almost teared up when it showed Kermit and Rowlf at the piano. It took me right back to the muppet movie, and immediately followed by Rainbow Connection, man was that awesome. The writers really nailed this episode. This is the best muppet product I have seen in a LONG time. Hopefully, this is what we see in weeks to come.

5. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

It's also not the only time they cursed. Listen to what Rowlf says in this clip:

And more examples listed here:
    http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Cursing_Muppets

6. Big Bird Fan

Big Bird Fan Active Member

Without a doubt the best episode yet. JimAndFrank summed things up so perfectly I don't have much to add but just a few things:

The only negative was Jason Bateman. Can't stand him and kept wishing he'd leave Kermit alone.

Sam still has his crush on Janice! Yay! He was on fire for sure. ;)

Piggy's characterization from last week was kept! Double yay! She also wins funniest line of the night when she mentioned crows feat making men distinguished, but ending women's careers. Sad, but true. But the way she said it made me burst out laughing.

Rainbow Connection! SO. MANY. FEELS. :)

7. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

I thought it was great! :flirt: & :attitude: possibly becoming a couple? Who'd a thunk it?
    And :hungry: w/the butter? FUNNY stuff!
    It was cute how Denise & :mad: were looking out for :)'s best interests (although to be honest, I thought there was going to be a big fight between the 2 pigs over who cared more for Kermie. ) But there wasn't.
    The scene w/Rowlf & Kermit was cute. And the piece de resistance was Kermit singing "Rainbow Connection" Awwww!

8. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Looks like the muppets. is really starting to get in the groove with these past few episodes, and this one is no exception. We have a great main plot with Kermit trying to relieve stress by taking the time off work only for it to fail, and a subplot (and once again, the only subplot) with Scooter finally getting a chance to go from gofer to leader only for it to fail for him as well. And I did like how they revisited Sam the Eagle's little crush on Janice, which I hope the writers get to explore in future episodes.

There was also an unusually high amount of slapstick as well, from Sweetums crashing his golf cart to Beaker getting frozen by a fallen air duct and later scalded by coffee. Not that it was a bad thing, mind you.

9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It's nice to say that the last few episodes were "the best episode yet."

Without a doubt, this is where the show should have been all along. You know that they've got it right when the episode concept almost feels like it could have been an original Muppet Show episode. They added in the perfect balance of Muppet wackiness by not being too cartoonish with their disaster, letting characters show their classic best, and they showed Muppet heart without being sappy with Gonzo's pep talk to Scooter, Rowlf's pep talk to Kermit, and Kermit's classic solution to his stress problem. Seriously, Jason Bateman's annoying actions towards Kermit did wonders for the frog. He didn't need any of the New Age nonsense to be happy. He needed reminders of his old swamp.

And seriously, I knew that giant stick of butter was a good sign for the episode. It has been the funniest episode of the series so far without needing to rely on awkward jokes that, to be perfectly honest I was eh...barely alright with anyway. Bunsen and Beaker acting all Bunsen and Beakery? How about some more of that? This episode proved they can keep doing the show they're doing, and improvement slowly but surely came with each passing episode. Nice to see they kept the Janice and Sam thing going, so it's not just an awkward little side bit in one episode. So, continuity. Loved how Piggy was slightly more comfortable being around Denise, and loved even more how concerned she was about Kermie here.

Hopefully this episode is the AHA that the show needed and we'll go on to more slapstick that fits perfectly in a more grounded setting like this series. See? This is why I'm skeptical about the show getting a "retool." Seems that it's retooling itself quite nicely. Just keep up what made this episode great and discard what made the first 3 episodes awkward.

10. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

Loved it! We finally get the chaos we're used to from the Muppets! Poor Scooter though, I'm glad that Gonzo helped him out. The relationship between Sam and Janice is getting interesting. I don't think I liked any of the Jason Bateman parts, he really should've left Kermit be and work things out on his own. My favorite parts were Kermit and Rowlf's conversation and "Rainbow Connection", totally reminiscent of The Muppet Movie!

As for Miss Piggy and Denise, I think there was some tension starting in between the two. Impending cat fight? We'll see.

I actually didn't mind Rowlf swearing. I don't know what some people are worried about. As long as the language doesn't get too racy, I won't mind it.

11. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

12. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

I feel like this episode just took all the complaints from all the reviews, and literally gave everyone what they wanted, this was just a spot on episode. The heart was there, the music was there, the muppet slapstick was there, it was just perfect in all ways, the ending was just nice, no someone throwing something at Kermit, no falling into the pond, just giving a head nod. Rowlf was at his best here, just hilarious, and everything else was just great. The subplot with it ending up as Gonzo comforted Scooter was just the best. Sam's crush on Janice is just hilarious as well. Overal this has been one of the strongest episodes of the show, and I hope the critcs and ratings show that.

13. HootsytheOwl

HootsytheOwl Member

Yay! It's totally funny again! :excited: I think I'm going to watch this show more often now. ( I hope it stays this silly. :p )

Duke Remington likes this.
  14. chudman1000

chudman1000 Member

I don't know how much more I can say that already hasn't been said several times in this thread. I loved this episode, with all the classic Muppet madness and heart. I loved how Rowlf and Kermit's talk at the piano was very reflective of their talk in The Muppet Movie, and I loved the use of Rainbow Connection at the end. (Side note: Although even though I love Rainbow Connection to death, it starting to feel like it's been getting overused a little, at least since the "comeback" in "The Muppets" movie. It might be nice to hear Kermit sing "Bein Green" for a change, as it feels like its been more of a while for that one. )

I do have to say though, that when Gonzo told Scooter that he believed in him, am I the only one who almost half expected them to break into song with "Just One Person"? Lol.

Phillip likes this.
  15. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or does it look like Big Mean Carl was re-built in this episode?

cahuenga likes this.
  16. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Loved this episode sooo much!!! Best one

17. terrimonster

terrimonster Active Member

This was definitely better. The Muppets felt more like Muppets than people, which is one thing the show has been missing. And there were plenty of scenes where you could not just substitute the cast of The Office.

Add me to those who are not fans of cursing Muppets, but I feel like Rowlf is the one who can get away with what he said. It somehow sounds even more mild from him. I kept thinking he was going to launch into a short Rowlf-esque song, which would have been the only thing that would have improved what was already a great episode.

Blue Frackle likes this.
  18. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Steve and Bill so could have done "I Hope Something Better Comes Along." I sort of agree with what you said about cursing Muppets, it is better to hear it from Rowlf than from Kermit or Piggy. Though Kermit did say "he**" in the pilot episode, well, not the pilot but you know what I mean. After all, Rowlf was silent for quite some time after Henson's death and he is sort of just coming back into the spotlight. We need to give him a chance. Lol.

19. LinkLady77

LinkLady77 Member

Wow...best episode so far!! I like how Rowlf shows more of his "dogginess" in this series (chomping on a shoe or biting stitches from surgery). It would be funny to see more of this in other characters who are animal based...like Miss Piggy snorting heartily while gobbling a dessert in her dressing room or Sam the Eagle letting out a squawk when something extreme shocks him. Seeing more minor characters in the background always makes me smile, too!

20. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Sigh, ratings fell to an all time low last night.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/t...the-boat-the-flash-limitless-the-voice-39742/

It got a 1.2 down from a 1.4 last episode, and from its low of 1.3, though it can hopefully adjust up to a 1.3 in the finals. Overal, pretty sad, hopefully good will from this episode leads to a ratings bump next week. I just hope it can at least get a season 2 renewal, Galavant and American Crime got renewed with a 0.9 rating each, and the other shows didn't do much better (sheild and fresh got a 1.3 each barely any better) I hope it was just an off night.