1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Season 1 Episode 107 - Pig's in a Blackout

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Nov 10, 2015.

?

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Pig's in a Blackout"?

1. Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

45 vote(s)
    91.8%
  2. Bork bork! This episode was good.

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. Mee mee. This episode was so-so

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

1. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

well I never said he was. someone else used the word "queer" which in this day and age usually means "homosexual" not "odd or strange" I didn't call scooter gay, I myself do not believe he is.

2. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Well you do not have to believe it, he is straight, just watch the clip.

3. Ladywarrior

*shrug* I honestly don't care either way.

Muppy and Pig's Laundry like this.
  4. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Although he could be into males and females.

5. Muppy

Muppy Well-Known Member

Really who cares lol. Scooter is just a character and he can like who he likes.

6. Ladywarrior

let's change the subject. anyone want a uncle deadly plotline in a future episode?

LaRanaRene likes this.
  7. FletchySRF3088

FletchySRF3088 Active Member

Thought I'd post here for the first time in a while. I do read the posts here and have been reading all the posts on the latest episodes of the muppets. but for whatever reason, been far too lazy to post my own thoughts. Don't get me wrong, I've been loving the show, but this episode... man, after watching it, I just couldn't be lazy any more. I LOVED it that much and it made me so happy and excited, that I just HAD to post my own thoughts!

So here goes:

This episode is without a doubt, the best episode of the series thus far. As a Scooter fan, it brings such a big smile to my face. In some ways, I feel the show might as well be subtitled "Scooter is BACK, baby!" Each episode has given him more and more stand-out moments that I thought I could only dream of seeing, and also moments with him and other characters. It's been wonderful to see him paired with Rizzo in the last couple episodes - something I've always wanted to see (hence my avatar), and I could honestly write a whole paragraph about that - but the scene with him and Gonzo in this one where he's helping him find his confidence in running the show and says "I believe in you" was such a joy to watch. THIS is the kind of scene I had dreamed of seeing between these two.

This episode gave Scooter his biggest storyline of the series so far - and really, the biggest storyline he's had in the last 20+ years. Scooter is definitely BACK, baby and David Rudman is SO owning this character now! I hope they continue to give him more and more in the show and I really hope the change in showrunner and apparent "retooling" in the last six episodes won't put a stop to that.

If I had to list the non-Scooter reasons I love this episode, it would definitely be the scenes between Kermit and Jason Bateman. Bateman is fantastic and so funny in this. And I loved the callbacks to 'The Muppet Movie' - the great scene with Kermit and Rowlf (so happy to see him again) and Kermit singing "Rainbow Connection" in the swamp again. PERFECT ending to the episode IMO :)

I've seen some criticism about the show and the characters being too "mean spirited" and I can see where they're coming from. I have to admit, after the way the storyline with Kristin Chenoweth and the Electric Mayhem ended last week, I was a little worried that the Scooter storyline would be treated somewhat cynically, with him just failing in more comedic ways and Gonzo not helping him out. I'm SO SO happy it didn't go that way!

I think this episode has the heart that's arguably been missing from the show up until now. Certainly the most heart it's had - I mean, you have Kermit singing "Rainbow Connection" at the end! You can't get more heart than that! :)

8. Apologies for the small delay, but I'm here to share my own review of the Muppets latest episode.

My thoughts of the episode were pretty impressed with the storyline about Kermit trying to get help with his stress after a crazy day at work, such as problems with Patrick Dempsey getting poison ivy, the big stick of butter, and Piggy getting stuck in the elevator and worrying about her legs and face, which I feel is so crazy to think about; I mean I can think of bigger problems than that, like being stuck on an elevator for one. Also, when Denise was worried about Kermit and Piggy trying to get in on the action really adds up to the Kermit/Piggy/Denise triangle, which pretty much makes it clear to me that Piggy obviously still has feelings for Kermit, even after their breakup. At the spa, I still can't help but feel that Jason Bateman would ruin Kermit's stay at the resort because of his selfish actions. Personally, I loved Jason in the movie "Teen Wolf Too", but seeing what happened made me lose a little bit of respect for him; but what do i care, it's a TV show. In the end, I really loved how Kermit was able to take care of his stress by putting in a personal swamp in his backyard, along with him singing "Rainbow Connection", which makes it a good ending to the episode. Also, I laughed a bit when his next door neighbor, Phil, shouted to Kermit to learn a new song, and Kermit shouted back "Chill out, Phil!". You just can't beat a classic song like that. ;)

In the Scooter sub-plot, I felt pretty bad for him because he really tried his best to keep the show together, when things fell apart. It was pretty nice of Gonzo to help Scooter out by improvising that the show was to benefit the environment for one day. :concern:;) Plus, I still can't believe that Sam is still crushing on Janice and his attempts to win her over went up in smoke, literally. :attitude::flirt:

Overall, it was still a pretty good episode to watch. That's all I got for now.

Grovette and Duke Remington like this.
  9. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Active Member

He was never gay before this show. Maybe I'm crazy. I could've sworn they've hinted at it multiple times now, and I'm not just talking about him going to those pottery classes. It hasn't even been subtle, but I'd have to re-watch the episodes to find them.

I think everyone loves Uncle Deadly, but they have taken him from frightening phantom to Piggy's walking wardrobe. I could see something where he and Piggy go out shopping and it turns into a complete disaster.

10. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

I do, he's such an awesome character. I think "Uncle Deadly's House of Badness" should have happened. Maybe they can make it into a series of YouTube shorts.

Speaking of YouTube shorts, when are those Pigs in Space shorts coming out???

11. Lourenzo

Lourenzo New Member

When has scooter been implied to be gay? Why is pottery a gay man activity?

Also Uncle Deadly not being a phantom. Well...there not in a theater anymore, so there's nothing for him to haunt. Either way we have gotten some darkly humorous lines from him ("Im good at hiding things").

LaRanaRene likes this.
  12. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if they're holding off on releasing them until the new Star Wars movie comes out.

Totally psyched for Matt's take on Strangepork (at least, I'm assuming he'll be Strangepork)!

You know, since Disney owns both the Muppets and the Star Wars franchise now, it's too bad they aren't throwing one of the PIS shorts in theaters to accompany the new SW movie.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  13. Blue Frackle

I'll have to start skimming the episodes. I could've sworn there were hints in there.

Okay, Pig's in a Blackout - "Like Patrick Dempsey would ever let me rub him down with butter, ehrm..." I don't know what they were implying there, but to me it hinted at the point I'm trying to make. To me this makes it sound like he wants to do it.

It's not.

My favorite scenes so far are when they're in the planning room, like when they were trying to figure out what Kermit should get Denise. The sheer stupidity is just amazing.

14. Ladywarrior

well is deadly a ghost or not? is he just a phantom as in a living phantom or a ghostly phantom. I onyl asked because of the killed thing unless "killed by the critics" means something diffeent.
    and yes deadly i creepy and I LIKE him creepy. When he was actually introduced on TMS (not the vincent price episode the Twiggy episode) he scared everyone in the theater with the whole "YOU WILL BE DOOOOOOOOOMED!!!" thing. XD
    Too bad they never did a halloween episode. a halloween plot for uncle deadly would have been awesome.

15. Blue Frackle

"Killed by the critics" just means received unfavorably or panned by the critics, not actually physically killed.

16. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

I just think of Uncle Deadly as an Abstract Monster. Many Muppet characters are Abstract Beings.

Duke Remington likes this.
  17. MUPPETFAN1976

MUPPETFAN1976 Active Member

Let me tell you my thoughts about this episode.

Scooter, Scooter, Scooter. Why did you mess with the "air conditioner?" You should've known not to mess with it in the first place.

And Kermit. Why would you use a phone in a yoga class? You know you can't do so! Poor Jason.

Poor Piggy too! Being stuck up in the elevator. You all at least could've helped her!

And then, there's the end. Oohh boy. Rainbow Connection. My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE Muppet Song of all time! Always get a tear to my eye every time. Beautiful way to end it!

Excellent Episode!

18. Ladywarrior

thanks for clarifying blue, though I still think of him as some kind of ghost. He just liked to haunt places with the muppets and they don't seem to mind all that much.

19. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

The best thing about this show is Fozzie is back. When was the last time Foxxie was the struggling comedian, In MMW it was, hi im fozzie i say stupid things because im stupid waka waka, this happened in MTI and MFS as well. The last time he was the real Fozzie was in TMS and the classic muppet movies, and in VMX as well. I'm glad they've stopped making him the dumb supposed comic relief, and made him back to who he really is.

20. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

Deadly isn't a ghost. As someone said above getting killed by the critics means getting really bad reviews. Reviews that probably "killed" his career. Jerry Nelson said his two inspirations for Deadly were hammy Shakespearean actors and John Carradine. Carradine was a character actor in the 1940's-1980's. He was in hundreds of movies a lot of them horror or B movies playing mad scientist types. Chris Cooper in publicity for The Muppets (2011) said "And for my henchman they built this blue dragon with glowing eyes." Now we may scold Cooper for not knowing Deadly dates to the original Muppet Show, but him calling Deadly a dragon makes sense to me. A small dragon to be sure. Or as someone else said he may just be an abstract monster.

And since you asked about future plots the one I would like to see first is a story involving the writers' room. Gonzo, Rizzo and Pepe I think would be very funny. I would like to see Rowlf used more. I think how he was used in the last episode was perfect. I'd like to see him have some meaningful scenes with any of the other characters. I am not sure for a whole plot for Deadly. In my opinion Deadly, Yolanda and Big Mean Carl are the standouts in the supporting cast. But one of the reasons I think they are so good is they come in and do their bit and leave. If any of these three had a plot to themselves it might be too much of a good thing. Now someone else above mentioned maybe a Piggy/Deadly story. I could see a lot of possible fun if he were paired with someone.