1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Season 1 Episode 107 - Pig's in a Blackout

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Nov 10, 2015.

?

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Pig's in a Blackout"?

1. Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

45 vote(s)
    91.8%
  2. Bork bork! This episode was good.

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. Mee mee. This episode was so-so

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

1. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

Don't lose respect for Bateman because he was a jerk to Kermit. It was all in the script. Plus Kermit getting kicked out of the spa is what propelled him to Rowlf's. So in a weird way Bateman did him a favor.

2. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

I don't know how I'd feel with deadly being with anyone. he seems too old to have a love interest. I think I prefer him a single dude dragon monster whatever VINCENT PRICE'S BEAUTIFUL ASSISTANT!
    Maybe he could just randomyl scare some people with a thinly veiled threat. He does have the eerie vibe.

3. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

Too old to have a love interest? Well maybe he could be married.

4. Ladywarrior

No I don't mean he's too old to fall in love I just... well all the other muppets just SEEM way too young for him. ugh it's ahrd to explain what I mean without sounding like a jerk or ageist XD

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    LaRanaRene likes this.
  5. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I never really think about the Muppets and there age.....

6. Ladywarrior

that;s ok dwayne I think way too deeply into characters in things I like.

LaRanaRene likes this.
  7. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Yea and I think that's why some fans are having a hard time with the new show.

8. Oh right. I forgot. So I'll have to take you up on that.

Duke Remington likes this.
  9. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

Did anyone notice in the scene when Big Mean Carl starts slipping on the butter on the floor he says "Son of a..." before the coffee spills all over :eek:! LOL!!!

10. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

I haven't had time to share my thoughts on this episode until now, and that's a shame because this was an AMAZING half-hour of TV and has not only become one of my favourite episodes of the series (tied with "Bear Left Then Bear Write") but one of my favourite Muppet productions of all time.

Am I getting too excited about it? Maybe, but I don't care. This episode had so many things going for it, long before Kermit hauled out his banjo. (That was just the cherry on the sundae. Although Kermit singing the last chorus of "Rainbow Connection" as the credits roll on a network TV show in 2015 is quite a cherry.)

"Pig's In A Blackout" had two things we expect to see in any Muppet project and two things that the show's critics (including some of us) have been wanting more of: Muppet chaos and Muppet heart.
    The chaos was beautifully delivered in the opening sequence and in the segment following Scooter's attempts to fix the AC ("I BROKE KERMIT'S SHOW!!!" *runs away*).
    The heart came in spades through the Kermit-and-Rowlf-at-the-piano TMM throwback sequence (smartly ended with Rowlf putting up the "Back In 10 Minutes" sign and chewing on a shoe - let him enjoy being a dog, writers!) and Gonzo's "I believe in you" sequences with Scooter. I've been desperate for Gonzo to get some more screen time in this show and I'm so happy that hints of the wacky-stuntman and deep-down-good-guy we've come to expect from Gonzo were shining brightly in this episode.

I didn't mind the bits with Kermit and Jason Bateman sparring at the spa. Bateman came off as a bit of a dink but, as others have previously mentioned, that was basically a plot device to get Kermit out of the spa. There were a few good laughs about Bateman's daughter's Wicked production, too.

Other things I really liked about this episode:
    (1) Kermit and Piggy's genuine concern for each other at different points of the first 10 minutes, and Piggy and Denise competing for Kermit's attention as they tried to attend to his needs. That may be the best the writers have handled the Kermit's-new-girlfriend dynamic in the entire series.
    (2) Little subtle things sprinkled throughout the episode. Fozzie falling into the elevator and then hollering, "Hey, I think the elevator's broken!" A sequence beginning with Animal standing next to Sweetums and declaring, "YOU GOT BIG MOUTH!" That's the kind of Muppety stuff that keeps me coming back to the franchise year after year. More please!

Dear ABC: Don't be fooled by the slip in ratings (especially since it looks like two different ratings Web sites cited in this thread are saying two different things). The Muppets is working. It doesn't need a major overhaul. Facebook and Twitter blew up with happiness after this episode aired. More episodes like this and the show will find the audience it deserves.

11. LinkLady77

LinkLady77 Member

Wow! I didn't know they were doing that! I hope that they're good and don't have typical Miss Piggy karate chop endings. I loved the PIS sketches that had guest stars in them. With the new green screen technology, I look forward to what they can do with the characters!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    LaRanaRene, Muppy and Duke Remington like this.
  12. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

Postscript to my original review: The Sam-and-Janice update almost worked ("Well, that's TWO places we've been together - Hawaii and HERE!") but I still haven't figured out what to think of Sam trying to break the ice by asking Janice if she likes snorkeling. Janice's reply was pretty funny but Sam felt like the weirdest choice of a Muppet to be into snorkeling (especially since the actual Sam puppet would probably sink like a stone if it ever got wet).

13. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

Snorkeling is one of the biggest attractions to do in Hawaii. I am guessing he was trying to think of something Hawaii themed to continue the conversation. His other options could have been volcano climbing (another real thing there) or a Luau. My guess is the writers picked the one had would get the funniest response from Janice.

14. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I agree that this is the most Muppet-y episode so far. But while the Scooter plotline was great and fun, I didn't care much for the Kermit plot (aside from the Kermit and Rowlf scene, and Kermit turning his back yard into a swamp). I'm not really into things like stress control or hippie ways of thinking (which that kind of control seems to me... In fact in the last few episodes I was worried that Janice would become "too hippie" for me). The Kermit scenes kind of remind me of Animal taking anger management in the 2011 film (and I feel Animal's anger management was one of the weakest things in the film).

So far, Hostile Makeover and Pig Out are both better episodes. And maybe a few others.

Muppy likes this.
  15. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

So I rewatched both this and the Nancy Walker episode of TMS, both have similar plotlines, except Fozzie is the one who fails to run the show in the TMS episode though Scooter is fairly prominent in it. I really don't understand people calling the show heartless and mean, the muppets episode had way more heart than the TMS episode. Not to say I didn't love the TMS episode, it was hilarious, but the muppets episode had Scooter failing to run the show and Gonzo comforting him, and giving him the confidence to go on. The TMS episode had Scooter reading a letter that he wrote, telling Fozzie its from Nancy Walker saying it was an honor to have him as a host, and the frog was holding you back. Now both scenes were really good, but while the TMS episode made the scence comedic with Scooter admitting he wrote the letter after Fozzie runs off to stage, the muppets episode handeled it with heart. So while I like both episodes, I can't see why people are complaining about the warmth of the series when it has more heart then an episode of the classic show.

FletchySRF3088 likes this.
  16. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well the thing is, I wouldn't mind if the new show went for comedic in that moment instead of heart. The issue people have had is that when the show went to comedic, it could come off as mean spirited. I don't want the show to switch back and forth from mean spirited comedy to heart. I just want them to improve the comedy.