1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Season 1 Episode 108 - Too Hot to Handler

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Nov 17, 2015.

?

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Too Hot to Handler"?

1. Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

2. Bork bork! This episode was good.

3. Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

4. You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

1. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

One note I'll add, I loved the bit with Scooter's hands. Solid puppetry there!

2. Whatnot1988

Whatnot1988 Active Member

Okay. Loved Scooter's reaction at his first date with Chelsea and Kermit's realization that he was a first-class heel in assuming Becky was cheating.

Also, loved Animal's Cookie Monster impression (probably a reference to the fact that they were both originated by Frank Oz). But I wonder--does anyone here think Jacobson does a better Cookie Monster impression than Rudman does?

3. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Scooter's been getting a lot of love lately, and that's great to see. I enjoyed how he finally got the chance to date a TV crush, but it was too much for his adorkable self to take considering it's Chelsea Handler. The B-plot with Kermit and Fozzie's friendship being tested over a misunderstanding with Becky was also nice.

Duke Remington likes this.
  4. Muppy

Muppy Well-Known Member

You're right, I am usually here lol. I'm in Disney World right now though and unfortunately couldn't see the episode up until a few minutes ago :o

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Oh, well I hope your having lots of fun.:)

Muppy likes this.
  6. Muppy

Muppy Well-Known Member

I am! Thanks for asking.

Anyway, I thought this episode was good, but it could have been better. Like other's have said, I'm tired of these dating plots and just really want some good old fashioned muppet chaos. (Btw, was Miss Piggy in this episode at all?)

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  7. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Miss Piggy was in it very briefly at the very begining.

Muppy likes this.
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I liked this episode okay, but the problem with it for me was the perspective.

Had this been the fifth or sixth episode or something, I'd feel this was an overall improvement. Comparing it to the first 4 episodes, it's actually quite good. But this is coming after three of the increasingly strongest episodes of the series, where the series should be. This isn't quite as off as the first 4 or so, but not as strong as the newer ones. Hopefully next episode is better and more in line of the last 3. But other than that, it wasn't terrible, and I'm wondering if this script was just written before the better ones and filmed later. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt on that.

But I liked the concept of the Fozzie and Kermit subplot. While I didn't like how they tread the line too closely of Fozzie being dumb vs. Fozzie being naive, the dumb thing was only mercifully in the bar trivia scene. The overall concept of Kermit thinking he's the more levelheaded one in the friendship and trying to be a little too protective only to screw things up and unintentionally hurt Fozzie, I liked that a lot and felt it was stronger than the Scooter storyline. Not that the Scooter bit was bad, just making him a little too Principle Skinnery is getting kinda old. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Scooter's in the spotlight and manages to have storylines revolve around him, this just wasn't a particularly great one. Though, when I heard it was about Chelsea Handler, all I could think of is please let's not have her and Piggy have a feud or anything like that. So that was a plus.

I did however like how they actually played with and lampshaded the Office format of the show. That's something they should do not so much oftenly, but at least be a little more satirical of the format. And I did really like the bit with the Electric Mayhem. I do like how they're making Floyd a little more conspiracy minded, but gently. Really seems to be the "don't trust the government" type. Glad to see they actually have small bits in the show.

9. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

I liked how Scooter's naïveté comes through here. Although, I think Chelsea Handler is way out of his league! As always, Rizzo and Pepe are there offering dating "advice" and comic relief! I agree that Scooter's mom is overstating its welcome.

At least, Kermit was trying to protect Fozzie from getting hurt, even though it was proved to be an honest mistake. Fozzie does a great Elvis impression. Kudos to Eric on that performance!

I liked how Animal channeled his inner Cookie Monster at the end!

mr3urious likes this.
  10. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

I feel that Scooter's nerdiness and awkwardness was a genuine angle to work with in his love interest, with Chelsea throwing herself at him only for the hunt to be more satisfying than the catch. I'm sure that's relatable to a lot of people.

LinkLady77 and Duke Remington like this.
  11. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Loved this episode!!

12. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

Too busy this week to give my usual over-analytical spiel, but I will say this:

• It was an decent episode, but didn't quite live up to the quality of the last two.
    • Once again, I find it encouraging that the writers are going out of their way to give different characters a spot in the limelight. It was great to see Scooter given the A-plot. Now I'm anticipating Rizzo's!
    • Uncle Deadly and Zoot, for the 5th time running, win the award for best quotes from secondary characters.
    • It was nice to have a Fozzie and Kermit storyline. Just nice though.
    • Huge props to David Rudman! I bet Richard Hunt is smiling from somewhere in the cosmos.
    That's all I have time to say on my work break. I'll be off the site for a few days.

13. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

I liked this one a lot, pretty mixed reception on here, mainly because I'm a fan of those Kermit and Fozzie friendship plots. I liked the plot with Kermit and Fozzie, it was pretty funny, and full of great jokes. The Scooter and Handler plot was good too, pretty amusing with Pepe and Rizzo giving dating advice. Also, always a fan of more Rowlf, liked his scene at the bar, overal another great episodes, also there's no muppets next week, but a rerun of pig out airs thanksgiving night at 8pm if anyone wants to watch.

14. oknazevad

oknazevad New Member

Yes!!!!! Between that and the some actual acknowledgement in last week's episode that Kermit himself is a star (when Jason Bateman called him by name, there was a definite recognition that wasn't for a producer), I feel like there's some hints that maybe the creative tension we've heard about was between whether or not to recognize that these are not new characters. Simply put, if one looks at the series as a whole thus far, it almost seems like there's an assumption in the early scripts that only Miss Piggy is actually a star outside Hollywood industry circles, that Fozzy and the band are somewhat known sidekicks, and everyone else is the sort of nameless staffer that works on these shows. This despite Kermit being the biggest star of all (Don't tell Piggy I said that. I don't need to be karate chopped by her; even 24 years of martial arts cannot compete with an enraged Piggy.) Maybe that's why I liked last week's episode as much as I did. Not just the Muppety humor being in full force (which there was a good bit of this week too), but the plots (both) recognized that the Muppets have history, and are beloved, even if they still operate on negative continuity.

This week's episode was a little lighter on that in order to focus on more recent developments (namely Becky and Denise), but still had it present. (Not every episode can end in "Rainbow Connection" as much as we might want it to!) But it feels even more like our beloved icons are here.

15. TheMuppetFan

TheMuppetFan Member

This was one of the best ones, so far. While the storylines were a little weak, there were a lot of fantastic gags to make up for it.

16. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I actually did like how it played out. It somehow felt like it could have been a plotline of an episode of the original show with Scooter having a crush and being too nervous about it. I sort of got vibes of the MT episode with Bobo and Cindy Crawford here (one of the best episodes of the first season). And I really feel that this episode had the heart that was missing at the beginning of the series. Now, other than that, I kinda feel the jokes about him living with his mother could tend to be the thing the character's about, and I don't want to see him go down the Principal Skinner route. Not because I find anything unsettling or insulting about it, but because it's repetitive. Hopefully that gets toned down next time.

Though if there's another critique I'll agree with, it's the show revolving around relationships and dating is kind of the weakness. And to me, it's not so much that there are relationship plots. Far from it. The show is built on Kermit and Piggy and Denise. And to the lesser extent, I like the relationship between Becky and Fozzie, mainly because I like the actress playing her. What I'll agree with is the outside relationships and dating focus. And what really could get this to work better is staggering plots about them so we don't have 2 relationship based stories in a single episode. Ideally, I think the show should do one outside plot and one "problem with the show" plot to give a nice balance of both the Muppet's wacky world and the more grounded "real life-ish" stories.

And again, I think the problem is last episode was a tough act to follow. This episode did show signs of improvement over the first four or so. 2 streamlined plots that are more fleshed out, being playful with the format, more slapstick, more heart and soul in the plot... it's definitely better than what we started off with, but when the last episode showed what the series is capable of, it feels like a relapse. But I'll be forgiving and say the script was written (or conceptualized) before the last one, and was in production before they could get any kind of feedback about how great last week was. Plus, not every episode will be on that level.

17. drteethcool

drteethcool Member

I really liked tonight show. I loved the part with the band. I like Denise a lot.
    I wonder what the relaunch will be like.
    I do like that we get to see more of the personalities of the muppets that we did not really get to see before like the band. I hope that they don't stop doing that part.

Duke Remington and LinkLady77 like this.
  18. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah. This is the first ep all season that Piggy had a very small role. As great of a character as she is, it's nice to shift the focus to other characters every once in a while.

I agree. His main relative that has been discussed over the years has always been his uncle J.P. Groose. It would be nice to know what happened to him. After all, a deleted scene in IVAMCM or whatever you call it implied that J.P. was dead. However, later sources say that he is still around. Is J.P. Scooter's mother's brother? I think this should be addressed.

19. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I saw the first half of the episode. What I saw was good.

I kept thinking it would have been great if there was a triple date between Kermit and Denise, Fozzie and Becky, and Scooter and Chelsea.

20. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

I never been so heart broken in my life, I watched last nights episode. and I was so hurt.