1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Season 1 Episode 108 - Too Hot to Handler

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Nov 17, 2015.

?

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Too Hot to Handler"?

1. Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

2. Bork bork! This episode was good.

3. Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

4. You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

1. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Active Member

Yes, the Scooter mom thing is being overdone.

Zoot is so funny, but it still feels weird having him be so outgoing all of a sudden.

This show has found its footing; now I'm just wondering what the "soft reboot" will be all about.

I don't know if they quite understand Kermit & Fozzie. I was never under the impression that Kermit was the dad and Fozzie was the baby. Kermit was always in charge, but he respected him more. Like Fozzie isn't Chris Griffin-stupid as depicted in the rubberband scene. Here we go with the stereotypes again...

Ladywarrior likes this.
  2. Blue Frackle

When was this?

3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I actually don't know, I just know Caroll brought it up in one of his many interviews: Paul Simon was on the set one day with Oscar, and the bit ended with him walking away from the trashcan, so Caroll ad-libbed, "So long, shorty!" He said peering out from behind the trashcan setup he could see Paul Simon hunch his shoulders up and lower his head and he realized he shouldn't have said that.

Similarly, there's an interview with him from the Archive of American Television: I'd have to look at it again, but he mentioned performing a puppet show for a family or a group of kids with a black caregiver, and there was a bit in his show that would be considered offensive today that caused the caregiver to leave the room crying, and he realized how offensive it was and never did it again, adding, "we were so ignorant about things like that back then."

Blue Frackle likes this.
  4. Lourenzo

Lourenzo New Member

D'Snowth, on Chelsea Handler I dont know who she is...but in this episode she was not any of the things you described her as being. She seemed pretty nice.
    And its not something strike the show for, they were no mean-spirited hurtful or overly adult jokes that she made.

While this episode sometimes seemed to be making Fozzie to dim, I can see why Kermit acted the way he did. Being the responsible level-headed in a group of crazies, its normal for him to develop semi-fatherly feelings.

oknazevad and LouisTheOtter like this.
  5. Blue Frackle

That's unfortunate, though didn't Oscar say "shorty" a lot?

6. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Was Yolanda in this episode? Cause the credits say Julianne played her and Denise.

7. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

Try telling that to Big Mean Carl. ;-)

8. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

Yolanda wasn't in it. I think Julianne is credited as both in every episode.

9. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

She wasn't in the first 5 episodes.

LaRanaRene likes this.
  10. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Very weak episode. I loved seeing Denise, as now I'm savoring all of her screen time. But just very weak. Not sure I laughed once. I agree with some of the criticism about how romantic relationships dominate virtually every plot. Oh well, was good to see Carl. And it was clear Fozzie's gf did in fact cheat, she probably pulled up the cached auction on her phone as quick cover knowing Kermit was going to bring it up

*EDIT* I did like the mini C-plot of The EM band thinking Kermit is a robot. Hoping the final 8 episodes improve tho

11. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

Big Mean Carl I believe is mean in a "I don't want to hurt your feelings" kind of way but in a "it's all in good fun" kind of way.

Blue Frackle likes this.
  12. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I've been one of the biggest cheerleaders of the new ABC show....but, I have to say this brand new commercial feels a zillion times more fun and Muppety than all 8 episodes of the new ABC show so far

LinkLady77 and Mad Monty fan like this.
  13. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

I was just being a wise guy.

14. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE SEEN IN A LONG TIME!

15. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

Not quite sure how you came to the conclusion that Becky clearly was cheating. Ebay purchases are time stamped so if she ducked under the table at 8:15PM (let's just use as an example) then her item would have been purchased at 8:15PM. I don't think we needed to see them review her whole browser history. The pay off to the plot doesn't work the same way if Kermit isn't wrong.

oknazevad and Duke Remington like this.
  16. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

Oh. Guess my thought was wrong :oops:
    Yolanda wasn't in the episode though

17. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

Well, next week is the week of Thanksgiving. I read that they may rerun the Muppets episode "Pig Out" on Thanksgiving night!

MelissaY1 likes this.
  18. LinkLady77

LinkLady77 Member

Yes, it is! Great to see lots of minor Muppets! I got my Link Hogthrob fix....yay! :flirt: I think I'll go back and watch it another dozen times...LOL.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    Duke Remington likes this.
  19. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

I politely disagree. There were many scenes throughout the Muppet Show that alluded to a darker/"meaner" humor. How about Floyd tossing Foo Foo into a dressing room drawer telling him to "Breathe through the keyhole"? How about Miss Piggy being mean to Gonzo when he tried to flirt with her over the years? I applaud Joan Rivers for saying what was on her mind when she was with us. She was a tough woman and fought her way through a mostly male dominated industry. You either loved Joan or you hated her, but you couldn't disagree that she was successful at what she did. And if Jim wasn't into that type of humor, why would he have let her do a cameo in "Muppets Take Manhattan"?
    I think Jim's early work especially had a lot of twisted, dark stuff about it. But his genius was, he tailored it so it appealed to everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I like good squeaky clean humor too, one of my favorite comedians is Sinbad, but I also love folks like Louis CK and Jim Norton who are darker and edgier in their style of comedy.

Duke Remington and LouisTheOtter like this.
  20. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

Says who?