1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Season 1 Episode 109 - Going, Going, Gonzo

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Dec 1, 2015.

?

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Going, Going, Gonzo"?

1. Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

2. Bork bork! This episode was good.

3. Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

4. You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

1. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

She's not in the Muppet Character Encyclopedia. She's pictured far right.
    [​IMG]

2. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

Gonzo and Bunsen also interacted in MFS.

3. Still, it's a possibility. Plus, if the voodoo princess Tiana was real, I think it would be pretty cool to have a storyline when Dr. Teeth gets a blast from the past and she'd be the subject. Just using my imagination here. :dreamy::D

The Count and dwayne1115 like this.
  4. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Yes, this is very sad for all of this. But I won't give up hope. First off, Galvant was renewed with a mere 0.9 rating for one of its episodes. Also, The Muppets is Disney, and I doubt unless it goes below a 1.0 it would be cancelled. I really hope this retooling brings some people back. I really want this show to do well, all I can say is if it stays in the 1.2-1.4, ABC will likely renew it. Hoping this was just a fluke, due to all the competition, and it rebounds a little next week. Keep in mind, that Quantico gota 1.2, barely better than The Muppets 1.1, so I know the show is in danger, but I have hope it can rebound, and hopefully get renewed for at least a second season.

Muppy and Stephanie Evjen like this.
  5. I ain't giving up hope either. For me, The Muppets are staying!:fanatic:

Duke Remington likes this.
  6. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Didn't get to catch this one until tonight, but I have to agree with most of the comments here. I thought this episode was excellent, had the right balance of celebrity and goofy gags and genuine emotion. Seeing Gonzo get scared felt real, and then his decision to go out there and do the stunt after all felt natural. It showed his full range rather than the one-sided "weirdo" he can be (not saying the show's done this with him, it's just something that can easily happen to his character).

Plus this episode was filled with great one-liners and gags, from all the bits about Piggy Water not being water to Sweetums crying when he was put on the "list". And Sam's talk about violence to Gonzo might have been the most cutting thing this show's done yet.

If the show's "re-tool" uses this episode as a template, it will be just fine.

Duke Remington, Muppy and The Count like this.
  7. oknazevad

oknazevad New Member

I knew there was something about the Mississippi reference that jumped out at me as very appropriate. It just hit me. Mississippi isn't just where Kermit originally hails from, it's where Jim Henson originally hailed from. As Teeth was Jim's character, he should have a major connection to the state. And now he does, non-existent prior canon be darned.

Speaking of can(n)on: Welcome back Gonzo. There is the Muppet magic in full.

I've enjoyed every episode of this series so far, but this is one that really checks all the boxes. From the guest stars (helps that JGL and Dave Grohl are both personal favorites), the use of said guest stars (just the right amount of plot relevance), the A & B plots being tone perfect, the comedy factor, the characterizations, just a grand slam of an episode, near equal to "Pigs in a Blackout" (that one edges this out just because of the "Rainbow Connection" ending, but I'm a sucker in that regard.)

8. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Just the fact that they always advertise it makes me think that ABC has no intention of cancelling it, if a show is a flop, like Blood and Oil or something, they more or less stop to advertise it, but The Muppets is still advertised regularly, fi ABC was planning to cancel it, they wouldn't put so many commercials.

9. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

It's a far fetched idea, but I would love if there were an episode based around Uncle Deadly and Lips in their own storylines.

I really do love Lips. It's so good to see Steve developing a character of his own again. He's spent the past 25 years just carrying the torch for Jim and Richard so I bet he's enjoying his time away from that.

10. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

I love Lips too!

Duke Remington likes this.
  11. LinkLady77

LinkLady77 Member

Dr. Teeth mentioned making his tooth out of gold records on The Tonight Show in 1975 (Jim Henson pulled Dr. Teeth out from behind the chair he was sitting in while talking to Johnny Carson and Johnny said "oh, it's Dr. Tooth!"...Jim gently corrected him :jim:). I took a day trip to NYC yesterday and went to the Paley Center for Media and spent the day looking up pure Muppet gold in their archive collection! I viewed episodes of The Tonight Show with Jim Henson from 1974 (a performance piece with a large rubberband face with Dave Goelz who looked so young and in awe that he was there!), 2 episodes from 1975 (Dr. Teeth and Kermit) and 1976 (Swedish Chef, Kermit and Fozzie) and an episode of The Cher Show from 1975 with the Muppets (the Electric Mayhem and Sweetums were featured). The only bummer was that the Tonight Show episode that I REALLY wanted to see from 1977 (Jim with Link Hogthrob!) hadn't been digitized yet and they needed a 24 hour notice to retrieve the tape from their archives. Oh, well. Another trip for another day. Muppet fans should definitely try to go there, the staff is so friendly and helpful. Getting back to Dr. Teeth, I think that the origins of his gold tooth were also mentioned on TMS episode with Cleo Laine while performing "It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing". I'm glad to hear they are doing a Christmas episode next week! Hmm...who will be under the mistletoe?

12. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I concur! I interned at The Paley Center years ago and their archive of Muppets material is incredible. :)

LinkLady77 likes this.
  13. LinkLady77

LinkLady77 Member

Wow...you lucky duck! I bet you spent a lot of time viewing all that good stuff! I left with the biggest smile on my face...I hope to return there soon!

heralde likes this.
  14. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I interned there the past two summers and yeah, I completely agree. Being able to watch all their stuff was a total fringe benefit.

LinkLady77 and heralde like this.
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

To put things in perspective, Wicked City disappeared after 2 episodes and replaced by Shark Tank (which has the lowest quality of any of ABC's other shows I feel). Muppets is probably just low budget enough to be able to get at least a renewal as long as the ratings aren't awful. Probably on a probationary basis, I dunno. I wouldn't doubt (and this is something that I pointed out) the announcement of a "reboot" was going to lose viewers and make the show a laughing stock. It's all but an admission that this was a mistake, though I think even if the Muppets did the same old thing they always do, the ratings wouldn't be that great either.

And yes, it's a real pain in the butt that the writers finally turned the show into a show about The Muppets and not a show with Muppets in it. The first season of a show (unless it gets really bad really fast) is never the point in the series where they nail it, yet we don't have the grace period that kept shows like Seinfeld and Family Guy running long enough to find themselves anymore. I mean, ever seen a first Season Seinfeld? It's...it's not hard to see why it was sop close to being cancelled so often. As long as episodes about relationships drive further behind the rear view mirror and we get Muppets doing Muppet things like this last episode, there's potential for this to be a far better, more Muppety series. I've said it before, a Muppet show with a sitcom format can work, and the second season of MT proves it. Unfortunately, just when the writers were getting the hang of that one, ABC and Disney were impatient. That would really be awful here.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  16. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

They're doing a christmas episode? HURRAY! *hopes for some heartwarming muppet moments*

Stephanie Evjen likes this.
  17. After Dr. Teeth's suggestion, I could tell he could make as much sense as anybody else on this show after he doesn't know why Scooter would wanna leave home at 14. It's cool seeing him more on the show. Plus, seeing the EM's hangout and van, I could tell those guys are really true to their hippie roots. Gotta respect that. :flirt:

18. Yeah. That's what I believe too, after hearing it on WatchMojo's Top 10 Muppets and Wikipedia. Now, Muppet Wiki changed how Dr. Teeth got his gold tooth from Tianna the Voodoo Princess. Right now, I'm really confused, wondering if he really got his gold tooth from melted gold records or his voodoo girlfriend (no offense; I thought it was a sweet story :flirt:). Who knows? :D:confused::skeptical:

19. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

If it was Jim Henson who made dr. teeth say it then THAT it total cannon. Since Jim is the muppet creator therefor MUPPET GOD his word trumps anything else. (don't matter if he's dead or not)

Stephanie Evjen likes this.
  20. Whatnot1988

Whatnot1988 Active Member

Also--when I heard Dr. Teeth mention Tiana, I thought the Muppets were giving their bosses a plug by referencing one of their other properties (or should I say a specific character from said property).