1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Season 1 Episode 111 - Swine Song

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Feb 2, 2016.

?

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Swine Song"?

1. Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

2. Bork bork! This episode was good.

3. Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

4. You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Now we wait for the Ratings.....

Muppet Master likes this.
  2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Oh wow,I totally forgot that Fozzie was even in this episode lol

3. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

It was nice to know more about Big Mean Carl. Who knew he's the youngest of Nine!

Duke Remington likes this.
  4. My review of "Swine Song":

Greetings fellow Muppet bloggers, let me just say that it feels nice to be back here on the forum to share our own reviews about tonight's episode. Plus, I'd like to take the time and apologize for my absence; let's just say like the Muppets going on vacation, I took a temporary "vacation" as well just to rest until the show came back on. But now I'm back, and I can't wait to talk about this week's episode and future shows coming real soon. So without further ado, here's my opinion on the latest episode, "Swine Song".

For starters, I did like the beginning of the show where everyone was talking about their vacation, especially the part with Janice speaking to the "ghost". I'm not saying she's crazy, but I'm guessing from a woman's intuition she's some kind of medium, meaning a person who speaks to ghosts. :flirt:

I adored the Gloria Estefan penguin scenes, but I could tell Uncle Deadly wasn't having a party having to babysit a penguin from "Ar-hen-tina" or Argentina which Piggy rescued. I also liked it when Piggy though she could speak spanish, especially with the "Lo siento! That means I'm sorry!" It's something like this that should make me want to learn spanish.:mad:

Second, I wasn't too fond of Pache or "P-I-Double Z-A" (I found it to be quite funny when the Muppets were naming Pizza brands, such as Domino's, Pizza Hut, Chuck E. Cheese, Little Caesar's; me, I thought of Papa John's, plus I love pizza) since he brought down Key and Peele's show and I was certain he ain't gonna bring down the Muppets' show, either! Besides when the network president wanted the group to consider him a "member of the family" or "more like dad", I thought "by the way, I'm not calling you daddy." Also, I really started to resent him for getting Key and Peele off the show and sabotage it just to get back at the Muppets. I even thought about what he said about the audience being "old"; to me, Kermit and his friends' show is for everybody, no matter the age. :boo:

The part where Piggy dressed as Miley Cyrus just to give the show energy made me believe she was having an identity crisis. I like her for who she is, though I did like her change in personality since her vacation to Argentina.:eek:

The part with the cast and crew doing an a cappela version of the "Muppet Show theme song" was another favorite part of mine. It was really fun! :sing:

Another part that gave me some concern was Kermit and Denise's relationship. I think Denise kind of jumped to conclusions when Kermit forgot about her "5 K run" after working all night and she thought he and Piggy were "cuddling". I could sense her slight jealousy when Piggy and Kermit did a song together just to save the show. I do hope Denise and Kermit work out their differences along with Piggy in the future. To me, this is another chapter in the Kermit/Piggy/Denise love triangle. :):mad:

Also, I like the theme song change in which Piggy gets Kermit a coffee and he says: "Time to get things started" in a positive tone. I say it's a real turning point.

In conclusion, I consider this episode a fresh start of the spring season for future muppet episodes to come. The episodes I'm most excited for are the ones guest starring Joan Jett (my fave female rock icon!) and Willie Nelson.:D:sing::flirt::cool::halo: Honestly, can't this show get any more better or what? :fanatic:;)

5. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I didn't get to see it tonight. For some reason, my local ABC affiliate chose to air college basketball instead.

6. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

So The Muppets finally returned with a few tweaks. Overal, I thought it was an okay episode, considering how much build up there was to this huge episode with The Muppets more joyful it was just okay. It just didn't seem that they had everything in place, and no one really got much spotlight. Comparing it to the pilot, it seems about on par with it. Though I still feel like this a step in the right direction, not everything was in place, but this is the right direction. Though I still liked a lot of stuff.

• Uncle Deadly and Gloria Estefan was hilarious
    • Rowlf's Tavern
    • Lew Zealand
    • Pepe the Uber Driver
    • Kermit and Miss Piggy's Duet
    • Key and Peele
    • The Muppet Show Theme Song in the Meeting
    Also, I felt the Kermit and Denise breakup went a little too fast, and we never really got to know much about her. Overall, I felt it was a good step in the right direction, but it just didn't seem necessary in my opinion, Pig's in a Blackout, Single All the Way, and especially Going, Going, Gonzo showed that this show had improved, even though I really liked some of the early episodes, but the reboot was obviously for the sake of getting people back to the show, because people can't wait 7 episodes for a show to find it's groove. Though I'm glad they did the reboot, that way maybe the show has a chance of getting back the lost audience, but it really didn't need to happen. I thought the episode was good, and comparing it to the pilot it was pretty fun, I'm hoping by the next episode the show will return back to the show it was in December, but it was still a nice way to start off a big change.

7. Iscah

Iscah Active Member

"Pache" please. Every time I read "Pizza" it throws me for a second. And I definitely don't want to learn to deliberately misread it...

LaRanaRene likes this.
  8. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

I'm back with yet another ridiculously detailed summary of my thoughts!

Pure joy.

Those are the two words that can only be applied to this episode! I have no idea where to start with this one because there was just so much wonderfulness that I want to talk about!

Character Moments:

To start with the smaller moments, I loved how not even a minute into the episode, Janice was already being the strange woman she has been developing into for this entire season. Animal has a wonderful moment with his ‘iMuffin’. The ‘Pepe the Uber’ segment was priceless and there was just so many great moments that I wasn’t expecting in the slightest.

The Reboot:

“Bobo, go get Kermit’s banjo.”

It all just fell into place didn’t it? The producers and writers listened to us and they delivered in spectacular form. Can we have more Muppet mayhem and sketches? Sure! Here is Pepe in a funny scenario and Bobo doing a ridiculous dramatic reading! May we please have more music? Of course! Here’s the Muppets doing an awesome version of the TMS theme and Kermit and Piggy doing a cute country number!

Gosh-darnit The Muppets went ultra-meta! The writers used this whole debacle to their advantage and created something brilliant with it. I’m really struggling to describe how unbelievably inspired this episode was because it played on so many levels and completely blew the fourth wall to smithereens. The humour itself seems to be even more adult than before, but that’s okay at this point. It was well balanced and not cringe worthy!

As long as the show keeps progressing further in this general direction, I think we’ll be fine.

Kermit, Piggy and Denise:

Well, that just spiralled into a bit of chaos! It’s good to see that Piggy is trying new things and distancing herself from Kermit. I’m quite pleased that she is maturing, but still quite obnoxious and egocentric in the way that her character needs to be.

This new direction the show is going in with Kermit and Piggy’s friendship is making for some fun camaraderie between them. I quite enjoyed watching them team up to work against Pizza (Pache) because they just get each other and know the other’s thoughts and feelings. This friendship kind of reminds me of how well Jim and Frank worked and played together. I can’t wait to see more of it!

But course this friendship does not sit well with Denise. Unfortunately, I still don’t know enough about her, but I think the events of this episode was a huge wake-up call for her. It was the first time Denise realised what she has gotten herself into by dating Kermit. I hope this isn’t the end for them, not just yet anyway. Kermit still has a steep learning curve before he can become a better boyfriend in the sense of a healthy relationship.

Other notes:

• Uncle Deadly is my sprit animal. His scenes with Scooter and Gloria were hysterical and I will never not want more of that!
    • The humans were fun, but they really didn’t do much for me. Key and Peele nailed their scene and made me giggle. Pizza was….eh…..okay. And the network president was pretty dull.
    • I can’t die peacefully until I know what happened to Rizzo and Pepe in Amsterdam!
    • Peter Linz seemed to be having fun with Gloria. That sickeningly sweet little fluff-ball melted my heart almost as much as Uncle Deadly’s.
    • The little Muppet Show Theme ditty was my favourite part of the whole episode! We need more of creative random stuff like this!
    • The song Piggy and Kermit sang was plain goofy fun and very unexpected. It felt oddly right to me in a way-how about you?

9. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

This episode was really good! I loved every second of it, especially Pepe the Uber Driver

Duke Remington likes this.
  10. ploobis

11. ploobis

I don't know how many of you noticed this part, but right before Key & Peele close the shades in Kermit's office, you can spot Beautiful Day Monster in the window trying to see whats going on. Pretty Funny!

12. MUPPETFAN1976

MUPPETFAN1976 Active Member

#They'reBack!

Oh, let me tell you, it is good to be back after a 2-month hiatus!

Excellent show! Loved it! Great Return!
    That song that Kermit and Piggy did was totally unexpected, but great song!

13. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Well, hopefully that's a sign that we'll be seeing Walter soon.

14. If it is destiny that Kermit and Piggy are meant to be together, I'm glad that they don't seem to be making Denise unlikable in order for that to happen.

15. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Glad to read that Peter got to play a character. This was a good episode too for me.

16. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Another thing to mention is the chuckle from :attitude:'s reaction to Tweeting.
    Sam: This bird shall not tweet! Tweeting is something reserved only for signaling danger or requesting nourishment from mother!

Branky likes this.
  17. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

So is this new head of network a true villain, or is he more a "designated villain"?

He has been in the opening credits all season. The fact that he now has his own role on the show wouldn't improve the chances of Walter appearing.

18. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Er, no...

Lucy Royce, the new head of the network is a rather non-character.
    Pizza or Pashé is the branding guru that was introduced as an antagonist to Kermit and the rest of the gang.

Antagonist, yeah, that's the word I'd go with instead of villain. Hope this helps.

LaRanaRene likes this.
  19. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

I've been intrigued to see the reaction to this episode here on this forum, as well as Twitter and Facebook in addition to ToughPigs, The AVClub, Zap2It and Yahoo. I'm glad it's been largely positive (I'd guess that only about 20 per cent of the comments have been negative so far) and I hope that translates into improved ratings for both this episode and the rest of the season.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure that much has changed and I hope ABC hasn't overplayed its hand with the "Big Changes" taglines it kept using to promote the episode.

Watching "Swine Song," I felt like the writers and producers were standing at the side of my TV, excitedly pointing at the screen and repeatedly announcing: "See? We fixed everything! Isn't it great?" I realize that this episode was a bit of a mea culpa in terms of things that didn't quite work in the early goings of the series, and I applaud Kristin Newman, Bill Prady, the writers and everyone else for trying to work that into the show. I'm just not sure I found it all that entertaining.

I liked some of it. The minor tweak at the end of the opening theme was a nice touch. (I'm SO GLAD they didn't ditch the opening theme.) I'm pleased to see Piggy being open to involving more of the Muppets on Up Late instead of the sometimes-unhealthy boss-and-underlings relationship she had with everybody for most of the fall. The Kermit and Piggy fill-in number felt very warm and organic, especially Piggy's set-up line "Bobo, go get Kermit's banjo." Key and Peele, with whom I've always had a love-hate relationship, made the most of their brief cameo and got some solid laughs. And it does indeed look like the cast is going to find their groove together instead of tearing off in different directions. (After giving it some thought, I've finally decided that I like their impromptu scat version of the TMS theme and the way it prompted Kermit's revelation about how to improve the show.)

Also, nice to get a break from the "Scooter's mom" lines. They were starting to get as predictable and unwelcome as the references to Howard's mother on The Big Bang Theory (no disrespect meant to the late Carol Susi, of course).

I just felt like this could have been so much bigger and brighter. I like the concept of bringing backstage characters into the Up Late format but I'm not sure Pepe The Uber Driver and Bobo's Real Housewives dramatic readings were the best ways to kick-start that (especially after all the hype about beloved TMS sketches like Veterinarian's Hospital coming back). The introduction of the network president and Pizza/Pace just seemed forced (I found the actor playing Pizza/Pace a lot funnier in a recent voice role on The Simpsons). And after seeing Gonzo and (especially) Fozzie shine in so many episodes through the fall, it felt weird to watch the writers basically toss them to the side - that seemed to happen with a lot of characters this week, to tell you the truth. (By contrast, I can't quite grasp the excitement over Gloria Estefan The Penguin. I hope we won't see him/her/it dominate future episodes in the same manner as "Swine Song.")

Also: Denise and Kermit seemed to be having their most organic, realistic conversations of the entire series and then, BOOM! They're broken up! I'm not saying I didn't expect it sometime before the end of the season but it just seemed rushed, almost like the producers and writers were trying to placate the fans.

(Speaking of the fans: I know what the writers were trying to do in having the characters describe the variety-show gimmicks as "quaint" and Pizza/Pace sneering "Your audience is old," but neither of that landed very well.)

Still hopeful for the rest of the reason. I just wish more effort had gone into making the re-launch episode funny and entertaining instead of simply hitting the reset button.

Muppet fan 123 and Branky like this.
  20. terrimonster

terrimonster Active Member

It sounded product placement-y, but I think it's unlikely that Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Chuck E. Cheese, and Little Caesars are all sponsors. Uber/Etsy are just trendy right now, so I think those are just throwaways. But Shark Tank was likely on purpose.

Is this the first time we've seen the picture of Jimmy Dean on the wall at Rowlf's? Or is it just the first time I've noticed it?

Branky likes this.