1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Season 1 Episode 14 - Little Green Lie

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Feb 23, 2016.

?

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Little Green Lie"?

1. Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

2. Bork bork! This episode was good.

3. Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

4. You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yeah, and Seth MacFarlane has been wanting to end the show for years, but FOX won't let him, which is why you never sell your creations to someone else.

LaRanaRene likes this.
  2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Isn't that how TV works anyway, Most networks own the rights to their shows. I don't think most creators have a choice.

3. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

ugh family guy. I wish that dead horse would stop being resurrected. NOBODY likes zombies!

Can someone answer my question of WHY a 5 year old was allowed inside a bar?! Robin is 5 years old. >_<

4. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

I know that no one was being catty or mean commenting on the change in Robin's voice, but I do want to make a post to re-iterate that this is the first time in decades Robin has had this much dialogue. Matt has done wonders with a lot of Jerry's characters. He does a great job of having enough of Jerry's tones and cadences but also making them his own. I suspect if Robin appears more often the voice will modulate (a favorite word of Jim's) a bit and we'll accept it as the way Robin sounds. All of the Muppet performers are actors and puppeteers and voice actors in one. I think the puppeteering and the acting are first and the vocal similarities comes later.

5. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

I will attempt an answer. Based on the fact they were drinking milkshakes I wonder if Rowlf's tavern is like a TGIF (not a chain though) but with a bar and a restaurant together. We have not seen scripted proof of this, but I don't think Kermit and Piggy took him to Moe's Tavern.

LouisTheOtter and LaRanaRene like this.
  6. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Active Member

And The Simpsons...?

Yeah, it's fine, but it just needed to be pointed out.

7. D'Snowth

In recent years, yes, but it hasn't always been that way. Supposedly, FRIENDS is to blame for that, because I believe it was the first major successful sitcom that was produced in-house by the network (in this case, NBC), and because of that, networks decided they could do shows themselves rather than have creators and producers come in and pitch shows to them.

There does seem to be some reversal going on, thankfully: Nickelodeon's got two shows on right now that the creators actualy own the rights to - MUTT & STUFF by Sid & Marty Krofft, and ALVINNN!!! AND THE CHIPMUNKS by Bagdasarian Productions. I'm honestly surprised by this, but pleasantly so.

8. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Oh,I see what you mean. I guess that's why TV is so unoriginal these days.

D'Snowth likes this.
  9. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

Sorry for not exactly answering your question, but I don't think Robin is 5 any more (though he probably still isn't old enough to be in a bar anyways. Not sure why he was). On the Muppet Show, Scooter was fourteen. Since the fact that he still lives with his mother is a running gag, I'm guessing he has aged since then and I assume Robin has as well.

LouisTheOtter and charlietheowl like this.
  10. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Robin is older now. There was a joke towards the beginning of the episode about his doctor telling him you can still get a growth spurt in your 30's so he must be old enough to go in the bar by now. Who knows though we will never know.

11. D'Snowth

Oh yeah. Matter of fact, from some inside information I've heard, apparently the networks are currently trying wanting another Archie Bunker-type character right now . . . which is ironic, because one of the most common complaints from viewers is that TV today is overpopulated with unlikeable jerk characters - even this show has gotten complaints that the characters have been "too mean."

12. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

Was it ever stated Scooter was 14? Not meant as a challenge I just don't remember an age assigned to him. I know he was young (and in general younger than the others). I always assumed (perhaps wrongly) he was 16-18. Old enough to have a job and probably be through school - that was never mentioned. Robin's age was also a bit variable. He did sing a song called "I'm Five" but that doesn't mean he was five when he sang it.

LaRanaRene likes this.
  13. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

I would welcome an Archie Bunker type to TV. A well-written, well-performed character whose beliefs are almost 100% opposite of mine. And pair him with a handful of equally well-written, well-performed characters who often prove Archie wrong. And once in a great while Archie scores a victory and you (me or a random viewer) may need to reconsider some of their views. I have read enough of your posts D'Snowth to know you are aware of TV history and know what Archie and Norman Lear and the rest of the creators have contributed. So I can guess the subtext of your post (and I apologize if I am mistaken) is an Archie Bunker type without and nuance or character. In other words a Loud Mouth. Maybe they could get the Loud Mouth Dancer from season one to play the part? ;-)

14. D'Snowth

I do believe you have me figured out very well, Jobi!

15. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

Yeah. From Muppet Wiki; "According toThe Muppet Show Style Book, Scooter is about 14 years old.[1]" (just realized it says "about 14" so I suppose he could be a bit older or younger.)

The Muppet Show Style Book was like a character guide book created by the Henson Company in case you're wondering.

LouisTheOtter likes this.
  16. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Nevermind that Homer has brought all three of his kids to Moe's on several occasions.

Edit: Also, duh... isn't Rowlf one of their friends anyway, and therefore wouldn't Kermit want to take him to visit an old friend?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  17. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

I know that many pubs throughout Britain allow kids as long as they're accompanied by adults and the bartenders don't serve alcohol to them. At least that's what Rick Steves told me. :D

18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Besides. Why should we care if we get Rowlf in the show? And singing to boot!

LouisTheOtter likes this.
  19. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested, the two girls at the end are Hilty Bowen and Kamilla Alnes.

20. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I never thought about it before, but the fact that it could be a restaurant/bar type of place like TGIF or even Applebee's is definitely a posibility.