Your Thoughts: The Muppets' Wizard of Oz

What did you think of The Muppets' Wizard of Oz?

• Oz was great

Votes: 57 23.0%
  • Oz was good

Votes: 92 37.1%
  • Oz was disappointing

Votes: 64 25.8%
  • Oz was awful

Votes: 35 14.1%

• Total voters

Beauregard

Reaction score
MWoO said:
In MTI, when Piggy made reference to the size of Long John Silver's *****, did you leave the theater?
Whaaaa? Did I miss that?

amiki chan

Reaction score
I think it was just the way Piggy said his name:
"Hello, Looong John" She put emphasis on the word long. I thought it was funny!
Kermit:"Him too?!
Piggy: "Well if you had married me!" :wink:

MWoO

Reaction score
Exactly. Obviously a sexual reference.

Reaction score
Get a Grip

MWoO said:
Listen, the Wiz is totally different than just having a black cast. To say they are the same just bexcause there is a black cast IS racist and you should be ashamed.
I hate people who call others racist without knowing them.. The term racist means "one who feels another race is inferior based soley on race, color, creed etc.." Saying black muppet wizard of oz= The Wiz" does not qualify. Get a grip... everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if I am not all that into the "urban" culture I have every right to say so, just as a black person is entitled to hate heavy metal or woody allen movies if they are so inclined.. I used the wiz reference to drive home a point, that it is ok to not meddle with a formula that works.. :smile:

amiki chan

Reaction score
I have to say that The Wiz sucked!! It was different but the only reason I watched it and bought it was because Michael Jackson was in it. Back when he was fine and all. His acting wasn't bad either. Better than Ashanti anyway.
They should not have had Diana Ross in it because she's all old and she was too old to be believable in a role like that.I didn't watch Muppets Wizard of Oz because Ashanti was in it. I watched because it was Muppets! If something is worth watching anyone will watch it regardless of race.

ChellisPal

Reaction score
One thing point out that I think alot of us havent noticed, and please correct me if I am wrong but..... I remember that when this project was first announced, well before the Disney purchase that it was being produced by FOX. Now fast forward to Friday night... and after those end credits rolled, look who produced the film (again correct me if I am wrong and in no way am I saying that the Mouse is completely not a factor in this) but it said 3 companies- The Jim Henson Compnay, Fox Television Studios ,and, Touchstone Television...This was a complete shock to me as there was no mention of The Muppet Holding Company (hoping to see the new logo they were going to use) and/or Disney (i know Touchstone is Disney, but I believe they were just distributing this flick at this point) My educated guess is that this was the Fox film as always planned(which could explain many of the off color jokes)-Disney came in and took over the Muppets while pre production was moving along on this, and figured lets just use this as our first vehicle for the Muppets instead of totally scrapping it.(kind of letting Fox finish what they started kind of like what they did with Palisades and the remaining figures)
I do think Disney did a good job of promoting this show with the commercials designed for their top shows and almost 2 weeks of regular Muppet apperances on various talk shows (I dont ever remember any of the other recent muppet films getting the guys out there promoting it as much).
So again lets just let the Muppets get back out there, support them and hope that this new Disney thing leads to more regular sightings of our felt friends.

MWoO

Reaction score
ericswinderman said:
I hate people who call others racist without knowing them.. The term racist means "one who feels another race is inferior based soley on race, color, creed etc.." Saying black muppet wizard of oz= The Wiz" does not qualify. Get a grip... everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if I am not all that into the "urban" culture I have every right to say so, just as a black person is entitled to hate heavy metal or woody allen movies if they are so inclined.. I used the wiz reference to drive home a point, that it is ok to not meddle with a formula that works.. :smile:
It's racist in that they just see black people and make a snap judgement that it must be the balck wizard of Oz and therefore not for them. And there was nothingf "urban" about the movie. For christ sake, it took place on Kanas and Oz, not a freaking city. To say black equals urban is ignorant as are you. Fact is the only thing "black" about the movie was that it had a black Dorothy. That's it. Wow, that really changes the story a whole lot doesn't it.

Idiot.

MWoO

Reaction score
So many people blame Disney for the remakes of stories, but the fact is they were all JHC ideas under the leadership of Brian Henson.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I did not notice the thing about Fox being envoled i thought that it was all densny and JHC humm that stricks me as odd.

And touchtone well the way i see touchtone they are there to do the movies to bad for Disney to make ya know but that seemes odd to, the Cd and DVD will be realesed by Disney so im reall confued.

MWoO

Reaction score
It's not really that ofdd since the deals were all probably struck before the sale. This has been in production since before the disney buy out.