1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: The Muppets' Wizard of Oz

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, May 20, 2005.

?

What did you think of The Muppets' Wizard of Oz?

1. Oz was great

57 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Oz was good

91 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. Oz was disappointing

64 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. Oz was awful

35 vote(s)
    14.2%

1. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Ok, I have finally seen it.

First I have to say, the nipple line? Definalty not worth all the fuss...

Secondly, Johnny and Sal...priceless.

Thirdly, I liked it. I didn't love it. It doesn't measure up to any other Muppet production (KSY excepted) but...it was good.
  2. Zelda Rose

Zelda Rose New Member

Lenny has the right idea for me!

Lenny, I TOTALLY agree with you! I mean I'm probably the biggest OZ fan there is....ask me ANYTHING, and my love for the Muppets is just as big....so when the tow came together I thought it'd be a great day! My best friend came over, we got popcorn and snacks and sat on my bed watching.....and were sorely disappointed:cry:
    I know that nobody will ever hold a candle to Judy Garland's performance, and I know that kdis today are very smart and savvy so I knew things would have to be updated......but I wasn't happy with the over-all outcome. Yes, I will say that Piggy's scene with her henchmen and the tub was great....but the movie as a whole just lacked something.

I'm sorry that I'm posting this so late, but I've been away and ill etc.... so when given the chance to "play" today, well, I took it!:)

I hope everyone is well and I hope to be back posting on a regular basis very soon!
  3. Beauregard

Long time no see Zelda! Welcome back.
  4. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

I just saw the whole thing for the first time yesterday, and I have to say... while it had some good moments (Miss Piggy and her enchanted biker cap), overall it felt empty. It's OK to modernize a little but they did WAY too much. And frankly, the whole striptease chicken thing had me feeling pretty creeped out.
  5. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

What did you see that you felt was unnecessarily modernized?
  6. DanDanStrawberry

DanDanStrawberry Active Member

Hey. Sorry I'm like a zillion years late but I finally got to see it on Disney Channel!! And I loved it! As a muppet movie it was not good. As a movie it was good. Something that irritated me was the modernisation thing. I mean MCC and MTI weren't modernised. Apart from that it was fab! :)
  7. pepestarr

pepestarr New Member

I really liked MWOO. I thought it was one of Pepe's best performances and I found it funny. It was a shame that Robin the Frog wasn't in it but it was good to hear Ricky Boyd with Scooter and Crazy Harry and the Muppet Pirates back.
  8. Messy Piggy

Messy Piggy New Member

ehh...so so

Pepe has never won over my heart. I have some prejudice against him and any movie he's in and therefore those movies (for me) are not going to be nearly as good as pre-Pepe movies.
  9. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Pepe is occasionally a good addition to the cast. I really liked him in the special features on IAVMMC. But mostly, I'm turned off by his "sexy" thing. It's just not very sophisticated adult humor. It's a kid's idea of what adult humor might be.
  10. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity of seeing it last night because my partner in odd Jules rented it from MovieScene and invited me other to watch. So without any further delay, here's what I think...

The Good:
    ~It wasn't The Muppets Take Manhattan, maybe not Muppets from Space either but I've got to admit, I watched it with regular expectations and it didn't turn out so bad.
    ~The nipples line was pretty tame in all honesty and The Girls Gone Wild one went by so fast that it can easily be forgotten.
    ~It was the extended version so you can imagine how Jules and I were extremely excited to hear the EM talk. Those voices were pretty good (my only tweaks would to make Animal sound lower and Floyd a bit more...Floydish? XP), I think they can do a lot more with them.
    ~It was unique that it stuck to the original book instead of the Judy Garland film and Miss Piggy as the 4 witches was funny.
    ~I liked the flying biker monkeys and Crazy Harry's couple of lines--call me weird, but I think he sounds so cute! XD
    ~Scooter and Sam's voices were great.
    ~I liked the scene at the end with everybody. It's a tradition for a muppet film to have something like that--it makes you feel all fuzzy and nostalgic and happy. <3 It could've been so much worse if they just ended it with Ashanti alone saying, "There's no place like home..." and holding Pepe's bowl close. XP
    ~The songs were good even though there should have been more.
    ~Statler and Waldorf sounded way off but they were funny as usual.
    ~I really liked Gonzo reuniting with Camilla and helping Fozzie cross the bridge.

The Bad:
    ~Ashanti was...meh. She's cute but she should just stick to singing. When she was interacting with the muppets, it didn't seem like she really thought they were...real. Know what I mean?
    ~Pepe. For every funny thing he said, about 10 comments afterwards were lame. Rowlf should've been Toto.
    ~QT's scene. It dragged and it wasn't that funny.
    ~Rizzo was hardly in it and he and Gonzo go great together.
    ~Fozzie's voice. Towards the middle, it started to sound better but it's a bit too high and Piggyish/Groverish. Eric Jacobson just needs to go lower with it, if he can do Sam good, then Fozzie shouldn't be too hard because he has a higher pitch. ;) Maybe he was having an off day...

Overall, I'll give it a 6.5/10. Yes, some things could've been way better but I figure they could be worse too. XP
  11. Count von Count

Count von Count Active Member

Your Thoughts on Muppets Of OZ.

Muppets of Oz, in my opinion it's worst Muppet movie, all the other ones are good, what do you think? I think it's one of the least talk about Muppet movie, but it was Nominated for Primetime Emmy. It looks like Frank Oz was not in it, but i could be wrong. And why does it say Company: 20th Century Fox Television was it not disney? Just tell me what you think, your opinion.
  12. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Least Talked about? When we need a good example of a bad example, we always bring up Oz! :D

He wasn't in it at all. Can't say I'd blame him. It was Eric Jacobson at all points, and he really has come a long way.

The movie was produced by three companies, Henson, Fox, and Disney. Fox and Heasnon where on the project originally, but this was being made while Disney was buying Henson out (of the TMS and Bear Characters, that is), so Disney had claim in the project too. personally, I blame them for rushing the film's production just to say, "Now that we own the Muppets, here's our Muppet Projects!"
  13. pattywack

pattywack New Member

It wasn't as bad as I thought, but still no old muppet feeling that I got with the other films.
  14. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I think that was my feeling too. I liked it better than MFS and VMMC. But it still didn't have the right feeling; too many jaded and cruel jokes. But I will say it was a great shining moment when they brought back Scooter; the puppeteer did a great job! ;)
  15. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Active Member

this movie has its share of good and bad

Good: Brought back Scooter, agian! ;)
    Bad: it was another movie where the muppets played second fiddle to a human star.
  16. Count von Count

17. Beauregard

*streaks through thread wearing only silk robe* Seriously...someone notice that we're serious about getting our punctuation back.

What is "Mwoo! A cow with a lisp..." without being able to use ! ! ! after this great expression? ? ? ?
  18. pain

pain New Member

I went back and rewatched this movie with my kids this weekend, and I have to say, it was a little better than when it came out.

I really just do not like how they tried to bring the Muppets do a different audience, they have their own. If you like them, you like them, but if you don't you don't. And USUALLY, nothing can change that.
  19. Count von Count

How do you make a poll?
  20. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

Three years later, my attitude on this movie is still pretty much the same. I enjoyed it a lot. Some moments felt genuinely Muppet-y to me; others do not. I do think all the characters are utilized well, particularly Miss Piggy and Pepe, who has more than earned his place alongside the classic Muppets. The human cast is decent, though Ashanti is not convincing as an actress in any way. David Allen Grier is funny and Queen Latifah acts like, well, Queen Latifah. I hate Quentin Tarantino's cameo; it's possibly my least favorite moment in any Muppet movie. Jeffrey Tambor needs to work with the Muppets all the time.

"The Muppets' Wizard of Oz" is not awful; it has fairly good replay value, and the mixture of heart and humor is just as strong as in any of the other movies. The execution was just a little off.