Your Thoughts: The World According to Sesame Street

Drtooth

Reaction score
>>I wasn't expecting this to be as heavy and hard hitting as it was, but as a big political documentary buff I could see why they made it that way impact wise.

But wow, not sure what to say...it's crystal clear in this time of global chaos and uncertainty, the world NEEDS Sesame Street more than ever. I think Jim Henson needs to be given the nobel peace prize posthumously, or at least whoever runs international Sesame Street. Absolutely astonishing what they are able to do. And I liked how they make each production very culturally rich and specific to the at region.<<

Yes, indeed. This documentary showed how some things are joyous, yet bourgious (sp), such as the child saying TV is bad for your eyes, and yet watches it. SOme of it was about how you make a show. Some of it was a great retrospective. But mostly it's about how these people desperately want to change the horrid situation of the world with the younger generation.

>>Yeah a lot of people forget just how beyond evil and soul crushing the globe has become..from Darfur, Sudan, the Congo, Tanzania, Sierra Leone, Rawanda, etc in Africa...to the middle east, to former Yugoslavian countries, to Israeli controlled Palestine to Chechnya to all over. Im a big political/history/socio geo political researcher...and thankfully(or not)
this documentary didnt go into to even a 20th of the truly unthinkable things happening worldwide on a massive scale...

And THIS is why people need to realize the Muppets arent just some fad from their childhood...people should LOOK at the amazing positive effect Jim Henson's work has had and is having right now. For a lot of these kids, who have no education but instead work at a small age or see alot of horror or extreme poverty...this maybe the only glimpse they see into positivity and education.

Yes, the Israeli/Palestinian joint effort did not go off as they had wanted, but at least they tried. Everyone is taught to hate at such a young age. In America children are taugh to hate Muslims/Arabs, in the Arab world many kids are taugh tto hate Americans and Jews/Israelis. In Northern Ireland kids are taught to hate opposing religions. In Russia kids are taught to hate darker skinned Russians. It's all a sickness that the children of today will have to shake. And when ya have 7-9 year olds in Africa taught to kill and butcher villagers as part of state sponsored genocide death squad millitias, you know
that were going to have to work a little harder.<<

Very saddening, disheartening stuff. Idoit parents of idiot parents pander to the machiavellian anus heads that are in power, little knowing, it's just said world leader's sick form of entertainment, and way of throwing the REAL problem to someone or something else so they don't actually have the olives to revolt. Come on, Kim Jung Il only made nukes because he knows that He's a horrible leader, and put the entire country into outlandish poverty. That's one example.

Now, here you have nice decent people saying.. "ENough! We need to start making changes to bring world peace so people can actually deal with THEIR OWN problems." And they are3 the quickest to be dismissed. You know ., .. because peace is associated with Hippies... hippies are freaks. Not to mention people who are either extremely content with their lives or p.o'd at another kind of people are so easy to control... as opposed to, of course P.o.'d at the government, who KNOW theey are being controlled. In this case, it's people p.o'd at different people.

ALl these situations are complicated... but they drug out to "He started it!" "Nuh uh" fights, each using bombs. You see, boys and girls, by using religion or personal differences, you can scare people into liking you, no matter how evil and corrupt they are. And said people can come into power, and make you hateful, you know, to steer you away from the REAL problems of the world. that's what Hitler taught the world. And now we're seeing the same crap over and over, and EVERYONE who really wants to help is powerless to stop it.

I guess it's very depressing a giant Muppet Porcupine and some friendly monsters can't touch everyone's hearts. They aren't all bad. There are kids that want to get along. Muslims and Jews that realize that both religions just boil down to "Thoughts to make life better for everyone" and agree to disagree on some different ideals. But sadly, these aren't the ones making noise. And often, these people are the first ones in line. And their once peaceful families get enraged and start the same chain of events over again.

It's happening all over the world. And it would take a unanimous vote for peace for things to be dealt with.

>>Everyone laughed and made fun of the "Aids muppet", in their ignorance they do not see how massive a pandemic it is in certain regions, where 99% of its victims are straight.<<

And didja notice they were all rich, well to do, white guys from the US? And even Jerry Falwell...JERRY FALWELL praised the character. And some of his followers were in the "Ernie and Bert are hypnotizing kids to be gay" wacko movement.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
>>I wasn't expecting this to be as heavy and hard hitting as it was, but as a big political documentary buff I could see why they made it that way impact wise.

But wow, not sure what to say...it's crystal clear in this time of global chaos and uncertainty, the world NEEDS Sesame Street more than ever. I think Jim Henson needs to be given the nobel peace prize posthumously, or at least whoever runs international Sesame Street. Absolutely astonishing what they are able to do. And I liked how they make each production very culturally rich and specific to the at region.<<

Yes, indeed. This documentary showed how some things are joyous, yet bourgious (sp), such as the child saying TV is bad for your eyes, and yet watches it. SOme of it was about how you make a show. Some of it was a great retrospective. But mostly it's about how these people desperately want to change the horrid situation of the world with the younger generation.

>>Yeah a lot of people forget just how beyond evil and soul crushing the globe has become..from Darfur, Sudan, the Congo, Tanzania, Sierra Leone, Rawanda, etc in Africa...to the middle east, to former Yugoslavian countries, to Israeli controlled Palestine to Chechnya to all over. Im a big political/history/socio geo political researcher...and thankfully(or not)
this documentary didnt go into to even a 20th of the truly unthinkable things happening worldwide on a massive scale...

And THIS is why people need to realize the Muppets arent just some fad from their childhood...people should LOOK at the amazing positive effect Jim Henson's work has had and is having right now. For a lot of these kids, who have no education but instead work at a small age or see alot of horror or extreme poverty...this maybe the only glimpse they see into positivity and education.

Yes, the Israeli/Palestinian joint effort did not go off as they had wanted, but at least they tried. Everyone is taught to hate at such a young age. In America children are taugh to hate Muslims/Arabs, in the Arab world many kids are taugh tto hate Americans and Jews/Israelis. In Northern Ireland kids are taught to hate opposing religions. In Russia kids are taught to hate darker skinned Russians. It's all a sickness that the children of today will have to shake. And when ya have 7-9 year olds in Africa taught to kill and butcher villagers as part of state sponsored genocide death squad millitias, you know
that were going to have to work a little harder.<<

Very saddening, disheartening stuff. Idoit parents of idiot parents pander to the machiavellian anus heads that are in power, little knowing, it's just said world leader's sick form of entertainment, and way of throwing the REAL problem to someone or something else so they don't actually have the olives to revolt. Come on, Kim Jung Il only made nukes because he knows that He's a horrible leader, and put the entire country into outlandish poverty. That's one example.

Now, here you have nice decent people saying.. "ENough! We need to start making changes to bring world peace so people can actually deal with THEIR OWN problems." And they are3 the quickest to be dismissed. You know ., .. because peace is associated with Hippies... hippies are freaks. Not to mention people who are either extremely content with their lives or p.o'd at another kind of people are so easy to control... as opposed to, of course P.o.'d at the government, who KNOW theey are being controlled. In this case, it's people p.o'd at different people.

ALl these situations are complicated... but they drug out to "He started it!" "Nuh uh" fights, each using bombs. You see, boys and girls, by using religion or personal differences, you can scare people into liking you, no matter how evil and corrupt they are. And said people can come into power, and make you hateful, you know, to steer you away from the REAL problems of the world. that's what Hitler taught the world. And now we're seeing the same crap over and over, and EVERYONE who really wants to help is powerless to stop it.

I guess it's very depressing a giant Muppet Porcupine and some friendly monsters can't touch everyone's hearts. They aren't all bad. There are kids that want to get along. Muslims and Jews that realize that both religions just boil down to "Thoughts to make life better for everyone" and agree to disagree on some different ideals. But sadly, these aren't the ones making noise. And often, these people are the first ones in line. And their once peaceful families get enraged and start the same chain of events over again.

It's happening all over the world. And it would take a unanimous vote for peace for things to be dealt with.

>>Everyone laughed and made fun of the "Aids muppet", in their ignorance they do not see how massive a pandemic it is in certain regions, where 99% of its victims are straight.<<

And didja notice they were all rich, well to do, white guys from the US? And even Jerry Falwell...JERRY FALWELL praised the character. And some of his followers were in the "Ernie and Bert are hypnotizing kids to be gay" wacko movement.
drtooth not to be rude or anything friend but it's really hard to read your posts you really should quote people so we know who you're responding to.:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
ALl the quotes are from Beaker. Sorry to make it so unclear for you, though.

The gist of my post is that the world is pretty much screwed up, and we have nothing but corrupt leaders to blame. And I mean that for ALL countries, not just any one in specific. But the corruption varies from country to country. SOmetimes its on a corperate level, sometimes it's for of an "Absolute power" type thing. Certain world leaders throughout the course of history have used fear and hatrid to get into power, like Hitler (being the best example of it going too far). Mainly because if people actually focused on said leaders being corrupt, they'd over throw them in a heart beat, and focus thee hatrid to those leaders, not each other.

travellingpat

Reaction score
i thought it was very well put together and it was great to hear some of the background on the other productions that most of us have never seen!

SSLFan

Reaction score
Do you guys think Joan Ganz Cooney is not still over Jim Henson's passing? Well, we all love him and all of the things he's done, but it's years since he's passed! Truly he will be missed, but it seems she can't go a day with out thinking of him. Sorry if it seems like I'm being rude, but I just had to ask this. R.I.P Mr. Henson.:cry: