1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: When Families Grieve Sesame Special

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

This Wednesday night, PBS will be airing a very special Sesame Street program “When Families Grieve” to help children and families who have recently lost a loved one. The prime time special premieres at 8 pm eastern, 7 pm central on PBS.

You can find out all about the special here…
    http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2010/040810.shtml

After your watch the show, please share your thoughts.
  2. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I'm already tearing up!
  3. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

I watched it all the way through, it def had its tear jerking moments and overall i give it a thumbs up for what they did

However i feel IMO that the parts with Elmo and his family did not fit at all, i felt them almost mocking to at least 3 of the families in this special. they were well put together but the transition between the real world families and Elmo's family didn't work for me.

i feel they almost should've been their own separate part of the special

the parts with Katie Couric and Elmo & Jessie i liked they seemed proper

over all thumbs up for the Special i enjoyed it in a way and i admire what they did, and my heart goes out to those families
  4. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I thought the special was pretty good. I liked how they had some parts with Elmo's family interviewed just like the real-life families. They should have done that in the previous two specials.
  5. antsamthompson9

6. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

7. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

i like the elmo segment alot better separated i think it works much much better this way
  8. HootsytheOwl

HootsytheOwl Member

Talking About Grief

Hi there.

What a good special that was! I liked the way most of it was done, except for the way that Katie Couric's demeanor and decor during the Elmo/Jessie interviews seemed like a psychologist. (Yecch!) I hope this special helps people who are going through grief at any stage of their life. I really felt bad for the children and their parents in the special. At some parts it was hard to watch, because it was so very sad. If I were to give this a rating I think I'd give it a 9.

Your dear friend,
    Kitt.
  9. antsamthompson9

10. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I'm going to watch this and comment on it latter.
  11. ReneeLouvier

ReneeLouvier Active Member

I do like they have captions on the Elmo "Uncle Jack" segment. I was worried I couldn't watch it. (the sound board being fried on my computer.)
  12. Mupp

Mupp Member

I really like the fact that the whole Uncle Jack story is available to watch online.

Its a shame that the whole thing wasn't included in the TV special. But I suppose they just didn't have enough time for it.
  13. Baby Rowlf

Baby Rowlf Member

That was a good special. It's a little surreal hearing about a Muppet dying though.

My morbid side is wondering how Uncle Jack died...and how exactly you kill a Muppet.. :confused:
  14. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

I adored this special. It was so powerful and I love, love, love that Sesame Workshop can do these sorts of things for families. Excellent work!
  15. Mupp

Mupp Member

Oh, and I forgot to mention that in general I really did enjoy the TV special. Very powerful stuff.
  16. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I never thought about it that way, though I do recall the rumors about Ernie dying when Jim Henson died. But I think they could do that because this is actually the first we heard of Uncle Jack. If he had been a regular on the show, then that wouldn't have been easy. Though according to a deleted scene in IVAMCM, Scooter's Uncle J.P. Groose is deceased.
  17. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

i have yet to watch it, but i've got it taped. so i think i'll watch it today.
  18. JEANYLASER

JEANYLASER Member

Very interesting special! I love it when everybody let go the balloons into the sky! I give this Sesame Special 10!
  19. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

I saw that special with my Dad last because he went through the same thing when My Uncle Leo died. I was 16 years when it happened right before Thanksgiven day.