You're favorite 80's puppet shows(non JHC)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
LOL! I overlook Cyndi's brief period when she was around wrestlers. I never understood that. BTW, she received a mention from Kelly Osborne on their show. She commented how beautiful and cool she still is. I don't know if that's a good thing.
Obviously, she STOLE Cyndi Lauper's identity....

Cyndi's pretty cute, in a Grundgetta sort of way....

AAAAnyway... I think my favorite that I can even remember was ALF ... oh yeah...l Pee Wee was DA MAN!!! TOo bad he keeps getting in trouble these days!

But I did like the cartoon ALF better, alas, one of the few cartoons based on Puppets to be successful (Along with Muppet Babies and Beany and Cecil!)

But I never did get into H.R. Puffnstuff or any Kroft brothers show for that matter... Land of the Lost really used to annoy the h**l out of me for some reason...

pezbalubah

Reaction score
Pee-wee's Playhouse was definitely my favorite, the puppetry on it was actually very good.. I still don't know how they did some of those shots... But to date, it's one of the only shows to include so many different types of puppets... you had Randy (marionette), Billy Baloney (ventriliquist dummy), Conky the robot, Chairy, Pterri, Floory, Globey, Roger (full body puppet). Pee-wee's Playhouse had everything from puppetry, cartoons, early CG, stop-motion, claymation... It's still one of the most imaginative shows ever produced.

I also enjoyed Pinwheel and Alf.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I didn't realize Cyndi sang the Pee-Wee's Playhouse theme! She put on kind of a "Betty Boop"-persona type voice to sing it. I wonder why she never guested on the show.

Yeah, Pee-Wee's Playhouse was the only one that really combined so many different kinds of puppetry, wasn't it? That was clever. It's a shame the show won't get aired again because of Paul Ruebens' indiscretion (to put it mildly).

I enjoyed Great Space Coaster too, but I recently saw an episode on video featuring Mark Hammill. I don't think it's held up that well. That's where I first learned of Kevin Clash, though, and I maintain that Goriddle Gorilla is his best character. He used the same voice for Hoots the Owl, but ironically, Goriddle was a far more expressive puppet. He had an opportunistic personality that would give Pepe a run for his money, but he easily got his fur ruffled. Great character. Meanwhile, can anyone even define Clifford's personality? I wish they could see about getting the rights to use Goriddle on the new Muppet series. He'd be a great addition to the cast.

I do know of a great GSC website, but since Cory's no longer here, I suppose there's no sense in posting it. :eek:

I also liked Gigglesnort Hotel, which originated in Chicago but was syndicated elsewhere. Bill Jackson tried to run a hotel filled with crazy characters (all voiced by Jackson): Dirty Dragon, Weird the elevator operator, the Blob (made of clay; Jackson would actually re-mold his face on the show), and of course Gigglesnort himself, an old captain who somehow got it into his head that the hotel was his ship!

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
In no perticular order:
TV-
Alf
Great Space Coaster
Pee Wee's Playhouse
Film-
E.T.
Gremlins
Return To Oz

Jon

Erine81981

Reaction score
my favorite 80's puppet show

I loved Pinwheel and Pee-Wee playhouse and Ereeaka Castle as well. Dumbo and Whinne the Pooh of the full body puppets. THere was this thing that would come on TV for the church and they would do a kind of show with puppets. I was taped I guess when they would show it on TV but that was another show I watched as well.:crazy: